It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should voting for Congress, Senate, and President be restricted?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 02:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
the point of allowing people the right to vote is so that they can have someone to represent them in government but if you don`t even know what the candidates stand on the issues is then how can you know if they will indeed be representing your views?

Maybe they vote party line because they believe one party is better than the other. They don't need to know the details, they just need to know that Republican=good and Democrat=bad. For them that's enough information.

In order to eliminate low information voting you need to quantify the reasoning for each vote and determine if it's valid. How about another one where a person was raised in a religious household and she believes she needs to vote for the Christian candidate in each election. She has a thought process and a criteria... is it really fair to say she's not allowed to use it?

Those goes back to what I said before. The quality of the candidates matters, the quality of the voter itself isn't all that important, and things are quite good that way.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated
It will never pass do to liberals screaming "racism" or "sexism"

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 06:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Samuraidragon

It would never pass what? A vote in congress? You're correct there but not for the reasons you listed. It's a constitutional right, you would have to get 2/3 of states to pass a new amendment changing that. It's got nothing to do with racism or sexism. It's more a classism issue.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Love how the right complains about their rights..etc being taken away, but have no problem with suggesting limiting rights to certain people.

For now they say immigrants...then what next? Who gets to determine who can and can't vote?

Sounds a lot like extremist Muslim thought process.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
One of the biggest issues with our political system is the low information voter. It is just scary to me that anyone can vote whether they are informed or not. I recently took the test that is required for US Citizenship for fun and it wouldn't surprise me if 75% of voters couldn't pass it. While voting is a right, I also think it is something that should be earned. We have too many politicians promising giveaways to the least informed voters. In addition, I believe every voter should have some skin in the game. It is easy to vote for more government spending and largess when you aren't the one footing the bill.

I know the mere suggestion will cause some people to scream this is tantamount to a poll tax. However, I disagree.

Thoughts?

Absolutely ludicrous!

Only a right-wing republican would even suggest such a thing.

I''d much rather see an intelligence test for those attempting to join ATS. Then maybe, there would be a lot less ignorant threads like this one on this site.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join