It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jesus Didn't Die For Your Sins to be Forgiven

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   
According to one of the most basic of the teachings of Jesus, our sins are forgiven upon the "act" of forgiving the sins we perceive people are committing against us.

Matthew 6:14
For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

Jesus reaffirms this promise in "The Lord's Prayer":

Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive them that trespass against us.

There is a certain Christian teaching that disregards this mandate, and claims that Jesus had to die in order for you to be forgiven. And even then, they add that you must BELIEVE that your sins are ONLY forgiven through Jesus' death and blood shed, or your sins won't be forgiven at all, even though Jesus went through all that trouble, FOR "YOU"! (Ungrateful Heathen)

More contradictory teachings from the doctrine of these Christians goes on to claim that if your sins are not forgiven, you will be sorted like wheat from chaff, and your worthless essence will be burned away. Some insist that even that's not the end, and that God will award your soul to Satan to torture for eternity. All this because God, supposedly, can't be in the presence of your "sin" of non-belief.

Jesus teaches us something different in his Sermon on the Mount:

And he opened his mouth and taught them, saying:

3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Who could be poorer in spirit than those who have no faith and do not believe?

The "True" message of salvation that Jesus' teachings impart is that our "sin" is forgiven by "God" ONLY when others' sin is forgiven by us. It's really simple.

Matthew 9:13
Go and learn what this means, ‘I desire mercy, and not sacrifice.’ For I came not to call the righteous, but sinners.

+5 more 
posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Windword. Yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes. If there is ANYTHING to the Bible, it is in the words, the simple words Jesus is said to have said. Not the complex, not the convoluted. Just these and other simple teachings. Do unto others. So simple. Forgive and be forgiven. So simple. I"ll take this kind of Christianity any day. In fact I have. For those who muddy the spiritual waters with all the rest that has been added on, well, I suppose the best thing is to forgive you.
edit on 31America/ChicagoSat, 03 Jan 2015 14:50:17 -0600Sat, 03 Jan 2015 14:50:17 -060015012015-01-03T14:50:17-06:002u50 by TerryMcGuire because: sp.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
My friend, I havent logged in to make a post or reply in a while, but in its simplicity and shared veracity, your post compelled me to log in and say thank you for pointing out what I have said all my life. I also like to utilize " the story of the good Samaritan" or Jesus discusses heaven with an attorney....

Same basic premise the lawyer asks how to get to heaven, and the Samite who wasnt a believer but solely helped his injured neighbor(goes to heaven) whom had been passed by numerous believers and his own people(whom seemingly do not go to heaven for turning their backs) after being mugged or some such. Again...absolutely no mention of believing in HIM as the savior, or anything...just a random act of kindness.

Not the best worded response but ya caught my attention with a much needed critique.
edit on 3-1-2015 by BlueJacket because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   

doesnt it mean that people of few possessions are blessed?

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

What possessions does the spirit possess?

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

doesnt it mean that people of few possessions are blessed?

We are all blessed, independent of our possessions.

You might want to read the parable of the talents.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   

well I dont correlate "spirit" with possesions...no offense, but how in the world would you make these terms synonymous? In pretty much every circle Ive heard of, the spiritual and the material are not the same commodity in the aforementioned context.

....the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven. (5:3)
....those who mourn: for they will be comforted. (5:4)
....the meek: for they will inherit the earth. (5:5)
....those who hunger and thirst for righteousness: for they will be filled. (5:6)
....the merciful: for they will be shown mercy. (5:7)
....the pure in heart: for they will see God. (5:8)
....the peacemakers: for they will be called children of God. (5:9)
....those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. (5:10)

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Windword if I know you for anything it's for taking
scripture completely away from it's context. And your total
disbelief in the existence of Christ any way. So WTF are you
proving by being a hypocritical ass ?

edit on Rpm10315v09201500000041 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

It is SO simple! Thanks for your input!

a reply to: BlueJacket

Thanks for logging in. Yes, the Good Samaritan is a great example.

"Then the King will say to those on His right, 'Come, you who are blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.'

Nothing in there either about believing in salvation through death.

edit on 3-1-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I don't consider myself a Christian, but I agree with Christ pretty much down the line.
It's really pretty simple. Be good to others. Don't be a dick.
He should have had the sense to get out of town before he got nailed.
I don't see how that did anything for anybody.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Blessed are the poor in Spirit...

Should probably read:

Blessed are the poor, in Spirit...

You can apply it to the unbelievers if you wish, the Bible is difficult to interpret...

But I read it with a missing comma.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs

Windword if I know you for anything it's for taking
scripture completely away from it's context. And your total
disbelief in the existence of Christ any way. So WTF are
proving by being a hypocritical ass ?

HAHA!

I forgive you Randy!

We good?

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

well I dont correlate "spirit" with possesions...no offense, but how in the world would you make these terms synonymous? In pretty much every circle Ive heard of, the spiritual and the material are not the same commodity in the aforementioned context.

....the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven. (5:3)
....those who mourn: for they will be comforted. (5:4)
....the meek: for they will inherit the earth. (5:5)
....those who hunger and thirst for righteousness: for they will be filled. (5:6)
....the merciful: for they will be shown mercy. (5:7)
....the pure in heart: for they will see God. (5:8)
....the peacemakers: for they will be called children of God. (5:9)
....those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. (5:10)

look at it this way. blessed in spirit are the poor. its just worded weirdly.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I volunteered to die for you so I'M IN BITCHES!
How foolish to ABSOLUTELY think mankind defines our prime creator.

We'll find out when we are DEAD anyway.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Well played !

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Mankind was owned by an even more cruel master than the current. When the owners team killed Jesus they lost ownership of us and our new master then had the power to forgive or not forgive you and i.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   
i had a similar conversation a few days ago and said also that no he did not 'pre-pay' anything

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Jesus taught to forgive as you have been forgiven by God. Jesus came to pay the dept for our sins so that God could forgive us...only then are we truely in a possition to forgive each other. Imagine a slave owing another slave money. Its ridiculous, the slave who is "owed" the money has no right to the money, as he is in debt to his master. You cant forgive a debt until you are first out of debt, and sin puts us all in debt over our heads. Without Christ, there is no forgivness, just monopoly money.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   

I'm the last member you'd call religious

Take time to read this

Then take time to think.

Cody

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Think of it like your sacrifice is an apology, but the apology is only accepted if you are truly apologetic - you must be apologetic/mercy.

Understand?

Moreover, we are not to give to the needy or love our enemies because they have needs or because they deserve it - no, God can give them all they need and deserve - what we help others for is so that we, ourselves, will be givers and lovers - we are the ones in need - we need to be givers and lovers.

I brought this up in another thread not long ago and no one wanted to hear me, but Jesus wasn't preaching love your enemies because they deserve love, he was trying to teach them to be blameless, themselves - to be lovers.
edit on 1/3/2015 by Bleeeeep because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join