It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery of Overturned Cargo Ship Seen Today North of Scotland

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   
The only reason we know of the loss of the cargo ship is because a passenger onboard the NorthLink ferry took this picture earlier today.

Bill Farquhar from the Wick RNLI station said: "We got a call this afternoon about two o'clock that the Shetland ferry - the Hrossey - she had spotted the hull of a coaster upside down 10 miles east of Pentland Skerries.
"The last known position on marine traffic was at quarter past one yesterday, so that was the last known position we had of the ship.
"The weather at that time yesterday was pretty, pretty, bad."
He added: "I don't know what happened after that and I don't think anyone does to tell you the truth."
www.bbc.co.uk...

No distress call has been received and the last report of the ship is from 13:00 on Friday , something pretty catastrophic must have happened if the crew didn't have chance to call for help but at present it's a mystery.

Here's a picture of the ship involved for reference.

edit on 3-1-2015 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Tragic loss. Freak wave would be my first guess.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

The Pentland Firth is notorious for strong currents ... I have personally witnessed an Oil Tanker spun round 360 degrees in it's waters ... and that was on a good day just off of John O'groats

Believe me the ferry I got had to aim approx 45 degrees away from it's destination to allow for the strong currents on a relatively short crossing

Any ship or large container vessel coming to grief in it's waters is no surprise

edit on 3-1-2015 by artistpoet because: Typo

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

That was my first thought also. No distress call, no debris field, no survivors, no rafts, no transponder signal...rouge wave?

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   

sorry, couldnt resist

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   
One needn't conjure up a phantom wave to explain a capsized coaster.

Rough seas, high wind and shifting cargo sink ships on a quite regular basis.

Rarely do they afford us the opportunity of being photographed in the process.

My condolences to the bereaved.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Wow, that is bizarre. Must have been one hell of a wave. I know nothing about ship distress call protocol or equipment. Is it a matter of the Cpt. flicking a mayday switch or do they have to verbally call it in? As fast as this must have happened nothing probably could have saved them, but the dead silence is a bit odd.

Godspeed to the crew RIP

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   
While an unfortunate event, it's not really a "mystery". Bad weather or a poorly maintained ship are all too common - when combined, ships sink. Weather around the time shows up to Gale force 9 winds for the area.

EDIT: The ship also has form - under a previous, Russian Captain it ran aground as he was quite pissed (BAH over twice the limit). Apparently, it had a new Captain who was well respected. I'd imagine a big wave (or several) washed over the ship and flooded it quickly, leading it to capsize.
edit on 3/1/15 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: stumason

While an unfortunate event, it's not really a "mystery".

It's a mystery until the cause is established , I agree the weather is most likely the cause but for now on one knows.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   
She was on her way to Runcorn from Immingham, we had some pretty brutal winds here last couple of nights strange they attempted sailin through it. One of those things.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   

True and if this was any other forum I would likely not challenge it, but being ATS and the types of people we have that will literally believe any old crap, using the word "mystery" will end up leading some to grasp at outlandish theories...

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: mtnshredder

On my dads boat, the radio has a button you can press that sends out an SOS. But if a rouge wave and of large size struck the boat I can only assume the crew got thrown about quite badly

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Here's the first video footage from the scene provided by the RNLI, rescuers fear there is little hope of finding the 8 crewmen alive.

The sea search has now been called off with helicopters left searching local islands but it seems all hope is now lost for the sailors.
RiP

edit on 4-1-2015 by gortex because: edit to add

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   

That's one hell of a sea. The camera vessel is being tossed about like a cork.

The people who undertake search-and-rescue operations under such conditions are heroes.

edit on 4/1/15 by Astyanax because: of inappropriate expressions.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

The people who undertake search-and-rescue operations under such conditions are heroes.

Allow me to correct that for you.

The people who undertake search-and-rescue operations are heroes.

There. Fixed.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: BMorris

You're not one of them, I hope. Or married to one, or anything.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: BMorris

Star for you. This time of year, with the water temperature being what it is, I don't think it is too likely that there will be survivors. My sympathies are with their families.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: stumason

One of the Pearl Harbor based Ticonderoga class cruisers may be retired, and I believe is no longer eligible for long deployments because she ran aground outside the channel. She hit a sandbar hard enough it took most of a week to get her floated again, and weakened a chunk of hull.

If this one ran aground I'm willing to bet her hull was badly weakened and it was just a matter of time.
edit on 1/4/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Hey there gortex I live in Scotland and I can tell you there is not much mystery here. The severe stormy wind we have had past few days has caused local damage and sadly this boat seems to have gotten the worst of the storm. Boats like this sail from the Shetlands on a daily basis, the crew could have been tossed aboard or injured before a distress call could have been made. The boat may not have been in the best shape, the crew could have been inexperienced...

I know how bad the storms have been here for me on the east coast and up there it is always ten times worse.

Boating accidents in our particularly rough seas are pretty common and applying occam's razor theory says to me it's just that - a tragic accident.

Edit to add an after thought - if the crew sailed out in such bad and dangerous weather could suggest that they were inexperienced. Just a thought.
edit on 4/1/2015 by daftpink because: after thought

new topics

join