It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's Missing From Harvard????

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Jamie1

I"m not offended by anything lol

And yet here you are, bothered by the actions of others.

SPAM?

Yes.

instead of discussing the topic

I did.

Oh... cool feature of ATS is this thing called the Karma score. It's a rough measure of what other people think of your posts. The higher the number, the more stars, flags, and applause per posts. Mine's 55. What's yours?

Pissing contest? ATS has no shortage of regressives and racists. I'm quite okay with not providing them circle-jerk material. Also your karma is based on a formula... stars multiplied by X (I forget) then flags and applause multiplied by a different X (which I also forget) added together then divided by posts. I've been here longer and have way more posts than you do, my divisor is a lot larger than yours. But have no fear, I'm sure (if you last) by the time you have as many posts as I do your karma will still be higher than mine and really if that's what you need to sleep at night... good luck in life.
edit on 1/3/2015 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

The difference is in culture itself. Ethnicity indicates more about a human being than does the physical attributes.

Caucasian is an overarching characteristic that includes everyone over a wide expanse of humanity while ethnicity is very distinct because it indicates a way of life in a small particular area... like Norway differs from Spain.

I do have a problem with the list as it stands, however, because (i.e) Asian Americans is certainly not an accurate account of ethnicity in that a Vietnamese is quite different culturally from a Japanese. The same could be said about Native Americans since a Hopi can be culturally seperated from a Plains tribe since one has a long history with agriculture and the other historically more at home as nomadic hunter-gatherers.

The list itself is flawed since it includes many ethnicities into unrealistic pigeon holes.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: masqua

Personally, I find it encouraging that nearly half of their students are of differing ethnic backgrounds. It also tells me they are definitely not picking and choosing based on anything other than their academic ability.

Harvard has always had quotas. Sorry.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

Is there a source for that from Harvard Admissions itself.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   

No they don't. Racial quotas in college admissions are illegal.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Well... somebody thinks they do:

www.thecrimson.com...

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   
They stay in hot-water and law suits all the time. It's been called a "permissible use of affirmative action", and also now is being sited as a way to cap Asian admissions. They still do it. A simple google will bring up multiple articles about it.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: masqua

Is there a source for that from Harvard Admissions itself.

They don't exactly advertise it.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   

nm
edit on 3/1/15 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   
The only underhanded thing I could think of in regards to this is that it seemingly puts whites in their own category, colored people, white people, they're separate and don't you forget about it. It's a bit peculiar at least.

I don't think there's anything sinister to it, I'm not that paranoid, but I'll say this, I have noticed that a lot of people of colour seem to have an us vs them mentality, that is, whites against the rest of the world. That seems to be the view of many liberals as well, in fact this blatant oikophobia you can discern everywhere these days is mostly the work of white people themselves. Guilty white people with a subconscious superiority complex that manifests as a self-righteous and condescending need to help poor minorities that won't be able to do without them. It's the white man's burden all over again, in an inverted fashion.

Interesting that, and very strange since subconscious self-hate seems so rife amongst certain demographics. Some kind of cognitive dissonance playing out in the subconscious.

I hope this suicidal psychosis is healed some day but I'm not holding my breath.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   
This is a bit OT, but funny. My physician is a Harvard graduate. He was well known in his day, even in High School, as being brilliant, but also a bit of trouble. He was once declared a "delinquent" by Juvenile court for busting out street lights with rocks when he was a kid. (He and a now other prominent physician.)

In our conversation in his office once, I was teasing him, asking how he stayed out of trouble long enough to get admitted to Harvard. He said he "met a quota".

He's white, and came from a very wealthy family with no Harvard legacy, so I asked "what quota?"

He said "southern". I was stunned, and asked "they really have a southern quota?" He said, yes,he thought it was two.

I asked "two per-cent?" and he said no. Two people. (I thought that was hilarious).

I don't think they have that anymore. : )

Sorry for the OT.

Of course I have no inside information about what Harvard's admission process is. Don't mean to imply that. Although, I do think they have much going on in admission which goes unseen and untold, and I do believe they like to control the "culture" of their University. Read around a little and you might get the same idea.
edit on 1/3/2015 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Lumping all Native American tribes together becomes laughable when you consider over 400 languages were spoken. Very few cultures anywhere in the world grew up in any real isolation, it becomes a random lumping of people for no other purpose than to say one group is someone benefitting more or less from the system than another.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   
This is interesting:

www.economist.com...

Dated 11-14

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   
What people here seem to not realize is this is only geared towards what we call the common ethnic groups in North America. As I said before these percentages almost match exactly to the actual population percentage in North America per ethnic group.

That leaves 20% for foreign citizens and 33% for what I guess we call White Americans. As I said it seems like a lot of appeasement going on so no one can call foul.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
Lumping all Native American tribes together becomes laughable when you consider over 400 languages were spoken. Very few cultures anywhere in the world grew up in any real isolation, it becomes a random lumping of people for no other purpose than to say one group is someone benefitting more or less from the system than another.

Well 42 got accepted at Harvard...hehe

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   
From what I have seen, what's missing from Harvard, or at least rare, are grades other than "A." It seems that Harvard profs have been told to cut down on the A grades but can't bring themselves to traumatize their students, many of whom have received only A grades.
While the selection process is such that many who attend are academically superior, this is not always the case. I have had the misfortune of having an Ivy grad with impeccable credentials working in my laboratory. This person was lacking in rudimentary laboratory skills and was a walking disaster. He tried to have the technicians do all his work and would blame them if anything went wrong. Watching him for an hour was all it took to realize how unskilled he was. His fallback on repeated failure was to remind everyone of his scholastic pedigree and hope that would save him. It didn't.

Not all people who go to Ivy schools are brilliant and very few of the intelligent people in the country go to Ivy schools. Their great advantage is alumni with connections to the powerful which provides great opportunity without regard to abilities.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join