It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you shut your brain off when trying to sleep?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I am unfortunately one of those people who can remember insane amounts of trivial information that has no use in real life. I also relate that to a great deal of problems when trying to go to sleep.

I have tried numerous methods of relaxation, alcohol, meditation, etc. but often it seems that utter exhaustion is the only answer to sleep..and that usually results in maybe 6 hours at most.

Any ideas?

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 02:07 AM
link   
It's just something I've learned to live with. I do good to sleep more than a few hours straight.
Alcohol, sex, exercise, melatonin, benadryl, meditation, reading, painting, playing a musical instrument...I find them all to help. I've come to terms with the fact that I just don't need much sleep.
Exhaustion isn't necessarily a bad thing. Enduring it just makes you tougher.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 02:09 AM
link   
a reply to: RickinVa

I am up now, so no. lol My brain is buzzing tonight too. I often daydream building a house, just to prevent my mind from dashing around like ADD on steroids. Tonight I just got up. This forum doesn't help as I recall what I read, and make up responses etc. heh

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 02:10 AM
link   

I have the same and use this for RLS which also has an ingredient which calms your head (you still have to think about not trying to think too deeply right before heading to bed though, but than it works well).

It`s the White Chesnut ingredient which calms your head (you might dream for the first few days a bit more lively (some people get nightmares), because it works at repressed anxieties (dreaming is dealing with them, so it`s therapeutic also), but it`s only a few days.

Link
edit on 3 1 2015 by BornAgainAlien because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 02:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Iamschist

I am up now, so no. lol My brain is buzzing tonight too. I often daydream building a house, just to prevent my mind from dashing around like ADD on steroids. Tonight I just got up. This forum doesn't help as I recall what I read, and make up responses etc. heh

I spent about a year building a castle fort in my head while trying to drift into sleep.
In hindsight, I think that was more entertaining than sleeping.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 02:37 AM
link   
I repeat the serenety prayer when i cant fall asleep, i dont believe in any god whatsoever but i use it as a mantra. Sure does help me after a stress full day.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Sleep ???? Whats that ?? Usually catnap a couple hours a week ..

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 02:40 AM
link   
The only way to fall asleep is to refuse to move. Or itch yourself. if you can do that then you will fall asleep because the sleep paralysis will put you to sleep for you.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Trying to fall asleep in the middle of writing 100,000 word sci-fi novels is really hard.

I put up with the problem but every third night or so, I take a sleeping pill. Sometimes they work, sometimes the story line is just way too exciting.

P

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 05:36 AM
link   

The only way to live with insomnia is to stop stressing about it.

Sometimes my body just doesn't want to go to sleep, it wants the chemical reaction of being awake at night.

For thousands of years, some cavemen would stay up at night and guard the group.
They became farmers who would guard their flock.
Then they became ATSers.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 06:00 AM
link   

I hear ya... Its a struggle every night to get into a real deep sleep... I have to take pills to help but i really want off those, unfortunately i use them for other reasons too.

So yeah it does suck and I'm trapped.

Also I think its the Environment which is the cause of it... all the trees are being knocked down and I think trees help with sleep (don't quote me on it but I remember sleeping soundly or maybe its just that I'm older now). And don't forget the constant radiation which is beaming into our bodies as we sleep, not to mention all the street lights.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Try (Chamomile Tea) steep a cup of this tea for 15 minutes; it will relax you and make you sleepy...and while you are drinking the tea...soak in a warm bath...it will relax you too.

Also...have all TV, radio etc. shut off. Make sure no lights on on.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 06:32 AM
link   
The problem isn't so much getting to sleep as getting to sleep when you should be sleeping.

Likewise, staying awake when you ought to be awake.

I'm fine now; guaranteed I'll be propping my eyelids open with matchsticks later at work.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

I spent about a year building a castle fort in my head while trying to drift into sleep. In hindsight, I think that was more entertaining than sleeping.

I did the same thing-instead the castle is an alien dreadnought and the fort is a blockade. I would put my ideas to paper but all I want to do is sleep.

I believe using your imagination helps the brain ease it's way into slumber- but as you say it is more entertaining than sleeping.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I am aspergic, which is basically mild autism and I suffer from a similar thing, and am prone to bouts of insomnia where (literally) i start playing over intricate details of events in my head that happened many years ago.

Over the years I've come up with a number of strategies - the key initial one is black out blinds/heavy curtains to make the room as dark as possible, and then I've found the best thing to help quieten my mind is either familiar music on low with a sleep timer (pick your fave piece, your mind is used to it - essentially you are tuning in to relaxing) or there are a number of excellent self-hypnosis mp3's out there that can help you let go of the day.

Typically, I'll listen to a hypno mp3 3-4 times a month, but the music helps.

If you have to read before bed, read a favourite book - don't use a screen reader at all.

Showering before bed also helps, because it relaxes you - just make sure you are dry before you nod off.

Google "sleep hygeine" for more ideas

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I used to have trouble sleeping when i was younger. A friend told me to work on difficult math problems before i went to bed. Just a few of them. After a few days of doing this. I noticed my mind would welcome sleep in lieu of work. Keeping my mind from wandering. Solving the problems would also serve as positive affirmations as well. Making me feel pretty confident upon waking.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 07:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Iamschist
I often daydream building a house,

originally posted by: skunkape23
I spent about a year building a castle fort in my head while trying to drift into sleep.

I have built a quiet place on a mountain in my head and that's my happy sleep place to go to while trying to sleep.

edit on 1/3/2015 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   
To put myself to sleep, I concentrate on the slow rhythmic sound of my breathing.

Try it.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 08:45 AM
link   
You really need to get you a sleep number.

Mine is 7.....7 beers.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join