It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Debt Slavery Via The College Education Bubble and Scam

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Great video. Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs does what i would consider a spot on analysis of the problem with the economy right now. One being the cost of education and one being people getting trained for jobs that dont exist. I work in carpentry and in my area its hard to get the trade jobs, thats just local to my area but i know its true in Calfornia and Florida from living there in the past few years. I know that CDL is in big demand here but not trade jobs, possibly welding but i dont know its a real middle, lower middle class area people know how to use their hands. Might be true for other areas though, but probably not the midwest or anywhere else the population is mostly working class to poor.

They HAVE to know how to work with their hands.

Here's another video on a similar topic for fun if you get bored.

edit on 1/2/2015 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Available trade jobs are always a good prospect, even in the service sector of many. I'd actually like to look at the educational costs per teacher, including benefits and retirement plans, which is the biggest problem.
edit on 1/2/2015 by mugger because: sp.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

This reminds me of the last Presidential debate when they asked Obama what he planned to do about the rising costs of college.

His answer was to have the Feds provide the loans to pay the schools. Romney had this look of disbelief. He tried to point out that having the federal government provide unlimited loans was only going to make tuition costs rise.

Very cool way to redistribute wealth.

Government funnels billions to their university cronies, and students get to pay it back - all for the privilege of being taught how they should think.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I would say this to the whole college issue we have this mentality and we tell people that you can't have a good quality life without going to college. So if you have someone that has a passion of doing carpentry but yet are told you need college. They end up going to school for a field they may not like or even try to find work in. or a year in to said field they decide its not for them. I think that happens a lot with some people,

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: American-philosopher

Yeah i can see that for sure. I knew i wanted to be a programmer before i knew i wanted to be a fighter. I kept telling everyone i wanted to be a programmer and i wanted to taking programming classes in school and they just couldnt do it back then so they just kept putting me in science courses.

I hated that i couldnt learn how to program a computer at school. Seemed so crazy to me but now that i look back at it makes sense kinda.

The curriculum is always so far behind because of all the red tape and politics. Most kids with internet access can figure it out with a few quick google searches and lose total faith in the system, which we have an entire generation of kids thinking that as they come up.

Maybe itll lead to better changes for the youngers kids being born now.
edit on 1/2/2015 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Tell me about it i got sold into that stupid beliefe that id get a good job and blah blah blah now 80k into debt with out a pot to piss in...

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Get a life go to college, get in debt have no life.

Like joining the military is even easier now.

Win win for the corporations . A bunch of in debt, educated killers for the front lines.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   
The costs went up when the government made getting college loans easy. That's another fine example of the governments unforeseen consequences, it was only unforeseen to them.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   
What ever happened to getting paid to learn as you worked your way up the ladder at the workplace.

I guess we are raising a bunch of idiots nowadays. That forty grand many people pay will take years to recover unless you choose the right line of work. Our system is teaching the young to think being in debt is the right way to spend your life.

Half the jobs out there don't need a college degree.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
What ever happened to getting paid to learn as you worked your way up the ladder at the workplace.

I guess we are raising a bunch of idiots nowadays. That forty grand many people pay will take years to recover unless you choose the right line of work. Our system is teaching the young to think being in debt is the right way to spend your life.

Yes, and good luck for all the computer geeks. They're competing with programmers in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Romania, etc., who are happy with $5 and hour or getting paid $100 for a small project.

Baby boomers retiring. Immigration borders falling down. Online competition.

There's is going to be a major collapse in the U.S.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   
The entire model of higher education is on the verge of blowing up to be honest. The costs of delivery are huge and keep getting worse. However a new delivery model via the internet is growing in usage and acceptance. Eventually the lower costs will push more students to online education. Eventually employers will become comfortable with respecting this type of education as their new hires perform well.

Personally I think all education should be free. They do it in other western countries so before you say it is too expensive look around and understand it's already happening...and everyone survives.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1

originally posted by: rickymouse

Yes, and good luck for all the computer geeks. They're competing with programmers in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Romania, etc., who are happy with $5 and hour or getting paid $100 for a small project.

Baby boomers retiring. Immigration borders falling down. Online competition.

There's is going to be a major collapse in the U.S.

It's kind of looking that way. I remember when employers were in business to gain support of their communities. They created jobs to keep the people around them working. People shopped in their communities to support each other and to make sure the employer could keep going. Now Big business bought out these small companies and closed them down and buy their products overseas. We have been conditioned to look at cheap instead of sustainable local economy. Penny by penny our money is leaving the country and any that comes back in is put in the hands of big business.

That is what we have now, but this economy is very fragile, not like it was thirty years ago. Back then we had a good strong middle class that was not in debt and had savings in the bank. Now all their money is at risk in the stock market, in the hands of people who are experts at twisting reality. The stocks are not viable, the value is figured on future earnings, not on the true value of the companies. These future earnings can crumble in a stock crash.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   
The same thing has recently happened in England, we now have kids leaving Uni with debts of over 50,000 pounds, getting minimum wage if their lucky and their expected to then get a mortgage? a car?

They will be in debt for their entire lives, no escape from the machine.

Students here have been rioting every year over this, government doesnt care.

Germany wisely abandoned this ridiculous policy, which makes me think Germany is actualy a pretty cool country.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   
The only way to reign in college costs is to severely restrict student loans. Every school isn't worth $50k/yr in tuition and room & board. It is one thing to go into debt $100k or more to get a engineering degree from MIT versus some no name community college with a degree in art history. The reality is that there are probably only about 30-40 colleges in the country worth going into debt to attend.

Tuition is inflated because anyone can get a loan to attend practically any school and study any degree regardless of the odds of that person finding employment to be able to pay that money back.

The other problem is this elitist notion that you must go to college to be successful. Instead of kids learning a useful trade like plumbing, electrical work, auto mechanics, etc they have this notion that they must go to college. College isn't for everyone.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 11:44 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

That is what we have now, but this economy is very fragile, not like it was thirty years ago. Back then we had a good strong middle class that was not in debt and had savings in the bank. Now all their money is at risk in the stock market, in the hands of people who are experts at twisting reality. The stocks are not viable, the value is figured on future earnings, not on the true value of the companies. These future earnings can crumble in a stock crash.

i think you have summed up the problem quite well.....this is also true for more countries than just the U.S.....a hole is being dug so deep that we will have no hope in hell of ever climbing out once we fall in

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Well they say once you get that education, nobody can take it away.

But they always forget to tell you they can take away everything else.

new topics

top topics

join