It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oregon Players to be ‘Disciplined Internally’ for ‘No Means No’ Chant - Thought Police

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: Jamie1

In you opening paragraph you state…

The chant was in reference to the rape allegations against Florida St. quarterback Jameis Winston.

I agree with you. But then you say…

Or maybe the players chanting "no means no" with the tomahawk chop were making a statement about STOPPING Jameis Winston from scoring on the field and winning the game.

Neither of these suggestions have anything to do with race.

The part that has to do with race is who the chants are directed towards.

Protesting against white cops - approved.

Direct ridicule to black QB - punished.

I thought the No means no is about girls saying no means no when it comes to college punks trying to take sexual advantage? Whites and blacks both take advantage of that. More whites in fact. They aren't being exposed either. The whole thing has been swept under the rug.

Like you are doing. You insist on making it about race.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: ImaFungi

Same exact situation, if the quarterback was white, the same thing would have occurred, I actually bet there would have been more outrage. If you do not agree with me on that, you really are not familiar with the sports world, and the world of college football in particular, and the media in general.

Now you're just making stuff up. That's a cool way to form an argument. Make up an imaginary scenario, then say if I disagree with your imagination I'm not as smart as you.

Nice.

No. If the quarter back was white, and black players were mocking the white quarterback due to suspcision that the white quarter back was guilty of rape, even though he was 'proven innocent', the entire white country would be flabbergasted, and appalled, and this would be national news, and the kids would be kicked out of school, maybe thrown in jail. I am not making this up, this is what would occur.

Care to respond to my other points so I can further prove to you your falsehoods false?

The reasons this was uncalled for were the reasons I have already labeled, I will do so again because you are special;

The players did so in front of millions of people on live TV, slandered the character of a very prestigious schools 'Jesus'. The quarterback who has brought their school much money worth of attention and tuition and tv ratings and memorabilia sales and graduates happiness etc.

Media, likes to magnify every single event and non event because they need ratings and news stories. Because that occured and it was talked about and it is something more interesting than other things that can be talked about, it was talking about, by people on twitter, by pundits and analysts. Because everyone talking about it said "this is bad...this isnt good", the onus was on the coach, to say "this is bad... when bad things are done, bad things must be done, to the people that did bad things... I will punish the players".

This is pure logic, you are pure ignorance.

The liberal and accepted action in the case of the recent months of killer cops and mass unrest and protesting, was to not be more dickish and oppressive to blacks after what occurred, but at least let them slide with wearing t shirts to show that they wished to express concern and solidarity. It was a movement of sorts, justified and meaningful.

Not that it matters, I doubt the players chanting were concerned with the females justice, they were purely high on their victory and wished to rub some dirt into their opponent worse. You should know that I am very tolerant personally, and have no problem with the players chants, I would be able to tolerate the players running around naked, and pooping on the field and yelling every curse word and threatening everyone in the stadium. But I understand why the world reacted exactly as it did, and think it is justified in doing so, given my perfect knowledge of human nature and the social state of the nation.
edit on 2-1-2015 by ImaFungi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Same exact situation, if the quarterback was white, the same thing would have occurred, I actually bet there would have been more outrage. If you do not agree with me on that, you really are not familiar with the sports world, and the world of college football in particular, and the media in general.

Now you're just making stuff up. That's a cool way to form an argument. Make up an imaginary scenario, then say if I disagree with your imagination I'm not as smart as you.

Nice.

No. If the quarter back was white, and black players were mocking the white quarterback due to suspcision that the white quarter back was guilty of rape, even though he was 'proven innocent', the entire white country would be flabbergasted, and appalled, and this would be national news, and the kids would be kicked out of school, maybe thrown in jail. I am not making this up, this is what would occur.

Care to respond to my other points so I can further prove to you your falsehoods false?

Cool. Maybe you're right. I didn't look at it that way before. Thanks for your input.

How I was seeing it, from my perspective, was a) the "No means no" was a woman's issue, and the players were being punished for bringing it to the attention of everybody on television, and b) in comparison to the players not being punished for "I can't breathe" statements.

You're right about the coach too. He doesn't want to punish the players, but he has to. It's his program, and his responsibility to do what he thinks is best.

Nice post.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 07:32 AM
link   

How I was seeing it, from my perspective, was a) the "No means no" was a woman's issue, and the players were being punished for bringing it to the attention of everybody on television, and b) in comparison to the players not being punished for "I can't breathe" statements.

From my perspective, the players had just one the biggest game of their lives. The nature of being a football player is one of being confident, cocky, and wanting to win, which is meaning wanting your opponent to lose, wanting to shame your opponent, which they did already with their playing. The nature of youth, in times, is one of ignorance, naivete, and the desire at times to be humorous, especially in our modern culture, with twitter, and entertainment, and in youth culture maybe for a long time, there has been the value of wit, and humor, and opponent degradation.

I think all in all, you do have a good point solely on the grounds for free speech etc. I think it partly comes down to the money and therefor power and therefore reputation involved in the schools, and the idea of slander, and the idea of pride, which is reputation I guess, but the result is a mixture of Florida state saying "who do you think you are disrespecting me", so purely disrespect, and this abstract notion of being polite and sportsmanship. When considering that players in the NFL at least can be fined money, for physically displaying acts of taunting, and players in college can be flagged and suspended for similar things, the relative weight of this sort of taunting that is related to a sensitive legal case, and in the context of being done with the entire very moral nations attention, just because of that sensitive state of dynamic information and the nature of time and ignorance, it would have seemed 'wrong' to not at least say 'that was wrong behavior'. Coupled with the fact that the average person and the average news story is moronic, and it is not hard to understand why what happened happened.

According to your ideals, is there anything that should not be allowed to say on live tv in front of millions directed at another person? And do you have a practical path to approach the nations acceptance of your ideal? Or are we purely just trying to prove the statement that people are stupid?

Also are you aware that there were other circumstances with the I cant breathe protesting in sports that were heavily criticized?

You're right about the coach too. He doesn't want to punish the players, but he has to. It's his program, and his responsibility to do what he thinks is best.

Yes, but what he thinks is best is not punishing the players really, because they just won the biggest game of the schools history, a play off game to enter the national championship, and so purely from a selfish position of thinking the most important thing in the world is his team winning, naturally what he should think is best is treating his players in the best way possible to win. This situation is only a wrench thrown in their path, and the wrench has been made huge by the media. And so whether he knows this or not or what he thinks, he doesnt want to jeopardize winning the game, in his heart, and mind and soul, if these players were the best players on the team (a nice parallel to Winston being the best player on the team and getting lots of slides) the coach would say "yes they must be punished" and then go in the locker room and laugh with them, and strut over to them and "I hear by declare you punished" and literally give them a weak slap on the wrist and laugh about it. I refuse to actually look into this story and see what comes of it, if the kids get to play in the game, then thats good and great, if they dont, then that is absurd, as absurd as everything. I dont want to see what their punishment is, but I cant imagine what it is, seeing as they dont get paid, will they get kicked out of school, made to sit the game, I really dont care and dont want to know, but am sure I will be forced to find out as time progresses.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join