It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“Terrifying”: Scottish Police to Investigate “Offensive Comments”

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: bigyin
I don't think her comments should be considered illegal and as Stu has pointed out aren't under any sensible reading of the law.
The are just plain stupid.
How Hopkins can try and claim the moral high ground over someone volunteering to care for ebola victims is beyond me!

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum_Squirrel

Calm down. I couldn't give a sh1t about Hopkins or the other guy. But I'm saying one is as bad as the other so why was one arrested and not the other.

I don't see how the police can say one is more offensive than the other

edit on b131215131 by bigyin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   

I despise Katie Hopkins and everything she represents......but come on Big Man, you Scots have been ripping the piss out of us English for donkey's years.(ETA. - And rightly so....I wouldn't have it any other way).

Was it below the belt?
Yeah.
But look at some of the stuff Frankie Boyle has said over the years....no more, or less, offensive to some.

This political correctness about what people can or can not say is getting out of hand.....its getting to the point that people daren't comment or say anything at all for fear of public condemnation, or worse.

Katie Hopkins is repulsive.....prosecuting her, if indeed they do, is overstepping the mark and could lead to the opening of a particularly nasty can of worms.
Far better to deal with her in the tried and tested manner - a far more wittier, biting and humiliating retort.

edit on 2/1/15 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigyin
Following the recent tragic incident in Glasgow when 6 people died after a bin lorry went out of control a teenager was arrested for inappropriate comments on twitter. Link

Hopkins remarks are in relation to a Scot suffering from Ebola so imo are equally inappropriate.

Both comments made by an English person about suffering Scots

And as I discussed in the thread about that tweeter, under the guidelines set down by the CPS, that won't see any charges brought either.

The man was only "arrested" when he handed himself in and being arrested is simply a paper exercise so you can be interviewed under caution. He has been released on bail "pending further enquiries" when the Police must either drop or seek charges with the CPS, who will most likely not prosecute even if they were asked.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   

a reply to: Quantum_Squirrel

Calm down. I couldn't give a sh1t about Hopkins or the other guy. But I'm saying one is as bad as the other so why was one arrested and not the other.

I don't see how the police can say one is more offensive than the other

I am Calm lol , and trying to put my point across

Hopkins remarks are in relation to a Scot suffering from Ebola so imo are equally inappropriate.

you did not say Both should not be prosecuted, or it should be even, and the first one should not , you just said they were both innappropriate ( this means wrong) rather than Similar hence my words

I love you all say what you want you're free too !

Q
edit on 2/1/15 by Quantum_Squirrel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   

He was only arrested because he showed up at the Police Station himself - the Police will "arrest" him to interview him under caution, the same as they will "arrest" you for clubbing a burglar over the head or stabbing someone robbing your shop, only to release you later once the enquiries have been carried out and no charges are being brought.

Being arrested is not proof of anything and is really just a formality.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
a reply to: stumason

Whoever is deciding what is "over the top" is what makes it Orwellian.
Shutting down ANY kind of speech, offensive or not is a bad thing as it can only lead to more censorship and preventing people from stating their true opinions.
It only takes one small rock moved out of place to start and avalanche.

You have hit the nail on the head.

Free speech, isn't about saying what you want providing it doesn't offend, free speech is asying whatever you like, regardless of how others react.

I love the way everyone jumps on Katie Hopkins, you know there are things she says no-one else dare speak, the reason so many dislkie her is in part because she will say how she feels regardless of the consequences...how many of us can say we do that?!

There are many things I would like to say many wouldn't agree with and in turn would make people dislkie me, yet I am bound by the hive mentality of society, which at present doesn't support free speech, to a certain extent we need only look to ourselves to see how we have silenced ourselves.

One last thing, I recently returned to my old job after nearly 2 years and there is one person on the department, who has shown huge hostility towards me, I have no idea why, wonder if I will ever know, given the current climate I doubt it and yet on some level I wish she would just express how she feels about me, so that I in turn may remind her, there is always two way traffic.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Telos

Don't tell me that Scotland-like the U.S.-is ran by liberal cowards.

I can sum up the liberal mindset with one phrase-"You can't say that! I'm telling mommy!"

or maybe-"Do what you want to my wife and kids-just don't hurt ME!" (which would apply to the American liberal.)

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Anyway, whatever happened to sticks and stones.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Government outlawed 'em under the offensive weapons act

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 11:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

apparently inventing a new race of people (Scots)

Much to this article writer's dismay, Racism & Xenophobia can be synonymous.

Stranger danger?

Be aware, they are all out to get you.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Police in Scotland have announced that they intend to investigate “offensive comments” made on Twitter and other social media

Prisons will be full of teens who can't stop tweeting whatever thought comes to the their mind...

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 11:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: FalcoFan

Don't tell me that Scotland-like the U.S.-is ran by liberal cowards.

I can sum up the liberal mindset with one phrase-"You can't say that! I'm telling mommy!"

or maybe-"Do what you want to my wife and kids-just don't hurt ME!" (which would apply to the American liberal.)

LOL, too true.

Just the other day, a kid ranted on and on about me, then I just said "oh, when you are finished with your temper tantrum do you want a pat on the head and a cookie?"

Somehow snark sets them off worse. But we do live in a world of youthful snarkism. I think the Scotland police aren't just looking for offensive comments, but in a polite way saying they are looking for the threatening ones.

Twitter has had that problem recently of people threatening to kill people like Michelle Malkin and Stacy Dash, it is a huge problem. I have seen tweets from people saying they were going to rape them. Those kind of tweets really do need to be addressed.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 11:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: LukeDAP

Police in Scotland have announced that they intend to investigate “offensive comments” made on Twitter and other social media

Prisons will be full of teens who can't stop tweeting whatever thought comes to the their mind...

That would be better than being killed for their comments.

Have you seen Twitter lately?

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 11:54 PM
link   
katie hopkins is part of the agenda, if she was not she would not be on that monopoly of crap that passes for sky tv and the bbc.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Following the recent tragic incident in Glasgow when 6 people died after a bin lorry went out of control a teenager was arrested for inappropriate comments on twitter. Link

I understand where you are coming from but equally seem to remember a couple of inflammatory remarks that you posted in one of the independence threads about Cameron and the English - does that mean that if i complain to the Police that you should be investigated for a hate crime?

Clearly i wouldn't as i don't offend very easily (or rather i fully support everyone's right to offend who they damn well please). Also, it would frankly be rather pathetic (at least in my opinion). The point being this allows the start of a very slippery slope....

If she is charged though i would sincerely like to see similar charges to the legions of SNP supporters who frankly made an arse out of themselves on tv during the whole independence issue - fair is fair, after all.

Actually, scratch that. If she is charged i would really like to see a complete overhaul of our Justice system.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   

If she is charged though i would sincerely like to see similar charges to the legions of SNP supporters who frankly made an arse out of themselves on tv during the whole independence issue - fair is fair, after all.

Care to link to the incident in question.?
I have no doubt many made a arse of themselves in the run up to the vote, tensions were running high after all, but at least we didn't stoop to the level of ambushing and kicking the #### out of No Voters on the 19th like the "Just say Naw" voters did to Saltire waving students in George square.
edit on 3-1-2015 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-1-2015 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   

And here it is what some of us have been naming Orwellian reality. "Offensive" comments now are to be investigated in Scotland. So what out what you say on Twitter guys

Twitter hides tweets if you go after the corporations that pay twitter to try to keep a clean image and people will move far away from twitter and facebook if arrests start to happen and Tor will become bigger than ever.

I for one will not be intimidated by any gags on my freedom of speech and will continue to call our police pigs until they take the keyboard away and then i will shout it from my cell door if needs be.

For every developer NSA/GCHQ employes you will find ten of us working to stop them and to keep the internet open.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   
While the definition of "arrest" is different from the US even an investigation into comments can have a chilling effect.

And I'm sure that's why this arrest/investigation took place - to each this kid and others a lesson. To put a little fear into them.

I'm shocked how many posters do not realize just how quickly this will be used by politicians and other people in power to silence their critics.

How would you like the police coming to your house talking to your neighbors and employer just because you made a nasty comment about a politician or law. An investigation can be just as intimidating as actual jail time.

Sometimes you want comments to cause distress - ever see those commercials asking for money for starving children or abused animals. The whole point is to make you feel guilty and sad and you probably should.

Have you ever said anything bad about your bank? How do you think that made your banker feel - bet you hurt their feelings. What about their kids who read the comment - they are now sad too - you made a kid feel sad. Don't say anything bad about banks anymore - for the benefit of the children.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Daughter2

Have you ever said anything bad about your bank? How do you think that made your banker feel - bet you hurt their feelings. What about their kids who read the comment - they are now sad too - you made a kid feel sad. Don't say anything bad about banks anymore - for the benefit of the children.

The Day i worry about a Bankers Kid is the day i use Rats to remove my own china dolls.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join