It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“Terrifying”: Scottish Police to Investigate “Offensive Comments”

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   
And here it is what some of us have been naming Orwellian reality. "Offensive" comments now are to be investigated in Scotland. So what out what you say on Twitter guys. You might end up spending some night in the joint. The irony is that with the advancement of technology we think our lives gets easier and we connect more with each other and distances don't matter anymore. Apparently though technology ain't that kind of friend for masses. More technological we become, more controlled by TPTB we end up going to bed every night. Some reality we live in

Police in Scotland have announced that they intend to investigate “offensive comments” made on Twitter and other social media, prompting a huge backlash, with one columnist describing the move as a “terrifying” lurch towards George Orwell’s thought police.

The controversy began when outspoken British TV host Katie Hopkins made a couple of jokes about an Ebola victim who arrived in Scotland being sent to a hospital in London.

“Sending us Ebola bombs in the form of sweaty Glaswegians just isn’t cricket,” Hopkins wrote. In a second tweet, she stated, “Glaswegian ebola patient moved to London’s Royal Free Hospital. Not so independent when it matters most are we jocksville?”

Though the jokes were obviously tasteless, thousands of people signed an online petition demanding Hopkins be arrested for inciting “racial hatred”. A second petition, signed by a further 25,000 people, called for Hopkins to be charged for her “racist tweets”. Hopkins’ detractors claimed that the tweets were “racist,” apparently inventing a new race of people (Scots) in the process.

Scottish Police quickly responded, announcing that they would be investigating Hopkins’ remarks as well as any other “offensive comments” made on social media.

Here is the twitter from scottish police

And the pic of the day goes to:

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Telos

I'd be willing to lose my freedom of speech if it means Katie Hopkins loses hers.

I hate her guts.

It would be a worthy & noble sacrifice to shut her Pig mouth.

I hate her guts.
More than I hate Tony Blair's guts.

Or equally the same.

Edit: No seriously, it's a bit of a worry, Orwellian is the only description that can be made in all honesty.

S&F OP.
edit on 2-1-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   

apparently inventing a new race of people (Scots)

Much to this article writer's dismay, Racism & Xenophobia can be synonymous.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Will this work all ways though? By that i mean will the Scottish Police be investigating those Scots posting derogatory comments about the English? If not, they don't have a leg to stand on.

As to Katie Hopkins, she both irritates and entertains the hell out of me. I rarely agree with her, but i often find her funny in that she tackles the PC brigade head on and that, frankly, is to be admired. But then she goes and ruins it all by shooting her mouth off........

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I don't think Katie Hopkins is the issue here. I don't care who she is and what she does. I was trying to raise a concern about the limitation of the free speech.

Charlie for the quote above I think is plain irony from the writer of the material. There is no racism or xenophobia.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I did a freedom of information request a while back. The leader of a well know organisation here in Scotland with over 40,000 members said his organisation could in effect become a Paramilitary organisation if the SNP held a referendum on Scotland's independence. The FIO request came back, well two actually as i requested the information twice by accident.

The First requests came back saying they, The police, did not investigate the comment or the organisation, after saying publicly they would.. The second request came back saying they couldn't find any records..What one are we to believe..?

I still have both files saved, but both requests came with a Warning that i could be charged if i posted the information i received online.

Ask yourself this, What is this all about. Why would the Police protect or fail to investigate a organisation who threatens Terrorism?? yet the same police threaten the general public with charges and possible jail time for online big moothed daftness.

I will be keeping my FIO requests up my sleeve just in case i find myself in a situation where i fall foul of these new Orwellian laws.
edit on 2-1-2015 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-1-2015 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Sometimes I worry about the future of our children and what kind of world they will be living in.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Telos

The controversy began when outspoken British TV host Katie Hopkins made a couple of jokes about an Ebola victim who arrived in Scotland being sent to a hospital in London.

She is partly the issue here, to be fair.

And as a ScotsIrish I can promise you that "jocksville" is definitely xenophobic.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
Sometimes I worry about the future of our children and what kind of world they will be living in.

North Korea is starting to sound like a possible ideal place to run for asylum.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flavian
Will this work all ways though? By that i mean will the Scottish Police be investigating those Scots posting derogatory comments about the English? If not, they don't have a leg to stand on.

Make a complaint to the Police about them and they have to! Which is all this is - some jumped up Scotsperson has got "offended" (probably one of those 45ers) and is looking to stick to the "English" with a complaint to the Police. The Polie are obliged to investigate.

However, in England at least, there has been advice by the CPS after the whole "Robin Hood Airport" thing a few years back where the bar is set quite high on whether something is to be viewed as "grossly offensive" etc...

CPS Guidelines here

So I think nothing will come of this.

Quite why people go all "Orwellian" when they here this is a mystery. This is "normal" people making a complaint which the Police are obliged to investigate. It is only with an investigation that they can determine if an offence has even been committed, much less arrest and charge somebody and even then, it has go through the courts and get past a Jury.

The actual law concerned is the Communications Act 2003 - if anyone cares to look it up - and it covers malicious communications, such as threats (of any kind) or grossly offensive remarks. The CPS guidance is quite clear that something has to be really over the top to be even chargeable.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Well it seems to me that the definition of 'Racism' is being changed.

How long will it be before we get locked up for asking for a black or white coffee??

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

And as a ScotsIrish I can promise you that "jocksville" is definitely xenophobic.

Ah, but all the names the English get called by some from Northern Britain (otherwise known as Scotland) is ok, yes?

Bastard English? Not Xenophobic?

Sassanack? Not Xenophobic?

C'mon... Grow a pair. Jocksville is clearly a light hearted jibe - I could understand if she used the term porridgew*g or something.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol
Ken what you mean,
She isnae that Daft though .
The more she havers aboot anything controversial the more publicity she gets.
And the more mentions of her up comeing reality tv show.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: stumason

They are xenophobic yes.

Only a percentage will find it offensive, so I don't need to grow a pair Stu, that doesn't change that it's xenophobic.

If it was anyone else you might have a point...

Katie Hopkins doesn't do "lighthearted jibes"...
& T&Cs restrict me from saying anything more about her.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Sassanack? Not Xenophobic

If you consider being labelled a southerner xenophobic?
That's w hat it means.

She could have at least got the insult right

Cockney Rhymeing Slang Is Sweaty Sock = Jock.
This Daft Lass called us Sweaty Jocks...

I along with most other Scots laugh at her inept use of languge ,

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: stumason

Ah, but all the names the English get called by some from Northern Britain (otherwise known as Scotland) is ok, yes?

Bastard English? Not Xenophobic?

Sassanack? Not Xenophobic?

C'mon... Grow a pair. Jocksville is clearly a light hearted jibe - I could understand if she used the term porridgew*g or something.

Sassanack can also be used to describe a Lowland Scot as well. As well as the Highland Gaelic speaking Scots, the Irish also use it... It basically says you are a Saxon. I'm Pretty sure 99% of the English would love to be told they were true Saxons.

It's when it's used with "Bastard" that the line has been overstepped.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I don't know some of the expressions you guys talk about and define as racists so I do apologize in advance for that. In North America we're not familiar with some of the "bickering" between scotts and english or ...

However I have to repeat again, Katie Hopkins comments are hardly the issue here. When it comes to limiting our free speech that affects all of us.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol
At least two American soldiers have defected to North Korea whilst on border duty.
Late 60s early 70s time frame I R C.

Have a comfortable life allegedly
They are celebs Film Stars .

As westerners are in short supply in N K they always get the Gig when an evil capitalistic western type are required.
For movie roles .

There defection was given no publicty In the West I happened upon a documentary about them sevral years ago.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   

They are xenophobic yes.

Only a percentage will find it offensive, so I don't need to grow a pair Stu, that doesn't change that it's xenophobic.

If it was anyone else you might have a point...

Katie Hopkins doesn't do "lighthearted jibes"...
& T&Cs restrict me from saying anything more about her.

Ok, if you consider them xenophobic as well, then I'll give that one too you
- but in the spirit of the thread, it is hardly "grossly offensive" as the CPS guidelines say a comment must be to even have a chance of conviction.

On that note, as she was in England at the time, no offence has been committed, even if the Scots legal guidelines say otherwise. I think the Scots CPS would have a hard time convincing a jury that "jocksville" was a grossly offensive remark.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join