It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Perth, Australia aircraft encounter

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

It's only there for testing to make it more visible to airborne camera birds.

Someone screwed up and set the altitude too high. There was an engine tested a few years ago in a scale test they still haven't found. It was supposed to go up, hover, and land again.

The engineer that programmed the test, didn't set the hold altitude, hit launch, and it went screaming off to god knows where, like a scalded cat.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

You can look at old footage of rocket and missile tests from 50 years ago, shot from miles away with cameras that can count the dimples on a golf ball and no strobe was needed, I'm not buying it. As far as the "military" green, I don't buy that that means anything either. BDUs tend to be mission specific, almost all the military apparatus I've seen in the last 20 years has been desert khaki.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

And I've seen some recent ones with cruise missiles that can maneuver and change course that do, so they can track them.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 06:14 AM
link   
There were a lot more planes in the sky over Perth then, Pierce was used for a lot of the MH370 search planes, I'm totally not surprised it wasn't a drone.

I remember at the time looking up where in relation to the metro area it was and its out NE so Pierce is close enough.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 01:11 AM
link   

The only strobe lights I have seen on missiles are for illumination for cameras. In the age of gps and camera and remote guidance the strobe light as tracking beacon makes zero sense.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   

A lot of things the military does don't make sense. They did it that way in the past, so they still do it today.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   
It could have been a missile but didn't show up on radar or trigger the collision warning system on the plane, maybe too small.
But the plane was on landing approach and I seriously doubt the Australian military would be testing or flying missiles anywhere near commercial air traffic routes, which would be very dumb and could cause an accident.

Model rocket by amateurs or alien UFO?
edit on 4-1-2015 by JimTSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   
They have enough radar data to ID local aircraft. If it was deployed from/being observed by an aircraft would it not be possible to see it in the data?

Just a thought as I'm leaving...

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   

They'd see the carrier but not the missile.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   
The drone angle makes sense as the ADF is looking to procure some new UAVs for various projects, however, as previously mentioned most of the testing is done from on the range at Woomera.

Although, I'm not sure if BAE have finished testing their Taranis drone at the Woomera Range, so maybe they're still testing out there requiring this to be tested from another location.

There are quite a few training ranges around Perth, too, although they're mainly used by our SF.
edit on 4-1-2015 by AussieNutter because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-1-2015 by AussieNutter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 12:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

A lot of things the military does don't make sense. They did it that way in the past, so they still do it today.

Sounds like the reason they did it in the past makes some sense: a pilot saved 53 pax because he saw the strobe of a dangerously off-course UAV/missile.

My guess is that ATC type of radar is designed to ignore returns from things which look smaller than aircraft, and maybe this missile had some stealth features anyway so it looked like a bird channeling Usain Bolt to the ATC electronics.

So, the old fashioned Mark 1 eyeball plus a dumb strobe saved the day.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   

I know that. I was wondering if the aircraft it was launched from would be visible in the data Basterfield has.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   

They'd have it at launch for sure as long as there's a Primary radar. Even a B-2 is visible with doors open.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Perhaps a reason for the RAAF to drag their feet on the FOI request?

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 05:04 AM
link   
a reply to: AussieNutter

If it was a missile test and they messed up like that, then oh yeah they'll drag their feet.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 05:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: AussieNutter

If it was a missile test and they messed up like that, then oh yeah they'll drag their feet.

Yeah, But did they mess up or was their Machiavellian plan thwarted by a switched on Pilot. Hmmmm

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Is it standard practice for those planes to have a camera facing forward or behind? Are there images that haven't been mentioned yet? That would be something.

If these were rockets with combustion propulsion, there would have been a smoke trail noted in the report. There wasn't. Sounds like the pilot was on his game and saw the 12:00 bogey in with seconds to spare, and had a good look. There is no mention of speed or relative size. This is a very interesting story to me.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Pylgrym

If it's a cruise missile type platform there's no smoke except at launch. Once the turbojet kicks in, you'll never see another visual indication of where it is, except seeing the missile itself.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   
The NARCAP website now has a more detailed technical report of this incident, written by Keith Basterfield and Paul Dean.

www.narcap.org...

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Keith Basterfield and Paul Dean have now found a second, very similar incident, which happened to another Skippers Aviation aircraft near Perth, this time in 2013. Keith has posted a blog entry at:
ufos-scientificresearch.blogspot.com.au...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join