It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

The Dark Ghost

page: 1

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 04:26 AM
The concept of replacing an individual name with a fictional one or forming a group name to describe two or more people's collaborations has been a popular practice over multiple millennia. From important historical figures, religious leaders, social activists, sports people, actors, musicians and so on, people have attributed (or have had attributed to them) names that are not the ones they were born with or legally accurate. While the number of examples of pseudonyms and purposes for using them appear to be infinite in number, I believe the topic of pseudonyms can make for a fascinating discussion on language and semantics.

Firstly, it can be argued that your birth name or legal name constitutes a pseudonym of sorts. What is your actual name? Your birth name is simply an interpretation of what your parents feel you should be referred to as in your existence from birth. Your legal name is merely society's interpretation of what the law feels you should be referred to as. Remove the legal aspect of the name, and it really is just a pseudonym to refer to your individual body or soul. Who knows what your true name happens to be?

An example of a pseudonym that is interesting to analyse is that of musician, humanitarian, and education philanthropist Steven Demetre Georgiou (birth name). What comes to mind when I say this name? Well, to most people not a lot. But what if I were to say Cat Stevens or Yusuf Islam? I bet many would now know of whom I am referring to. When I say Georgiou, Stevens or Yusuf, am I referring to the same person, or the person in their temporary carnation at the time the name was used?

Actors are a good example of individuals with multiple names referring to a single individual. While many elect to use stage names, it is more the pivotal characters they portray that people seem to identity them with. Jack Nicholson to you might be Jack Torrance, The Joker, Colonel Jessup, Melvin Udall, Frank Costello or Edward Cole to millions of others. Is somebody referring to this person more accurate when they call him John Joseph Nicholson instead?

If you were to become an author or famous celebrity, would you elect to use a pseudonym? What would be your reasons?

edit on 2/1/2015 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 04:47 AM
i guess without being famous, we all sorta do that with the usernames we pick on this site or others right?
I agree about names, they are just assigned to you in a semi random way, and don't necessarily mean anything to you or don't say anything about you.
In picking a personal name, or a username (those are kinda the same thing if you think about it) we try and convey a short message, a short description about ourselves. My username isn't random, i didn't create it just because it sounds edgy or something, and that's true for you, and probably 90% of the people on this site.

If i had to pick a name for myself, well i already kinda have one, i write short novels in my free time, i do it just out of a lonely impulse of delight, And it's the death of this character that puts in motion the whole story i won't share it, since it's really just the anagram of my actual i write stories that center around the death of me, or at least a version of me...not sure what that does say about it...and not even sure i want to know

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 05:43 AM
a reply to: Dark Ghost

My nom-de-plume started as an inside joke in the back row of my 9th grade history class. The class was structured in such a way that you could get straight A's without doing the daily homework, so I'd just sign it and toss it on the floor. The teacher would comment on it every once in awhile, but never figured out who was actually doing it. (I wasn't the only one using her extra credit assignments to bypass homework...)

It was towards the end of that school year when I formally adopted the name for my writing projects. The way I write is so distinctly different from the way I speak that it may as well be 2 different people. Like my signature on here used to say: On paper I'm a poet. In person I'm rated NC17 for foul language, suggestive themes and bad puns.

My real name, though? I guess that would have to be my avatar. I've been drawing it since I was a little kid and have never seen it anywhere else, despite numerous searches. I'm still not sure what to call it or what it means, but it's apparently all mine.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 09:35 AM
The "el" part of t the name i use ion here i chose because of i only knew "el" as reffering to a male in spanish. Now i get questioned by others if i meant el as in the deity. the omen part is and old name that stuck in middle school because of my birth name.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 10:05 AM

Born, raised and still living right here in good old freezing cold Wisconsin.

Go Pack!

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 06:20 PM
a reply to: Dark Ghost

In my opinion, names are like clothing.
They serve a purpose.
And are to be discarded when no longer needed.
David Edding's The Belariad inspired me at a young age.

When I was a kid, to my friends, my name was Wraith.
On the internet and BBSs before then I have been Morpheus *before the Matrix movies, I was and am a fan of the Sandman graphic novels*, DreamKing, Wraith, WraithAscendant, Lord Wraith, Wraith Angellic, WatcherInTheShadows, HarbingerOfShadows, and a few others probably.
All meant to convey some deeper concept of myself.

And my real name, is none of anyone here's buisness.

Though it means less to me in a sense.
It was thrust upon me, it does not reflect who I am very much.
edit on 4-1-2015 by HarbingerOfShadows because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 06:25 PM
my name was given to me many years ago by a sioux woman,

sorry about the polar vortex,

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 06:34 PM
a reply to: HarbingerOfShadows

My daughter calls me Dalaimamma, lol
but other names I have used on line were Ishtar and spiritwalker

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 06:59 PM
I change my name often.

I find it keeps things more interesting.

new topics

top topics