It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Let me describe my posting environment.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

+19 more 
posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 12:28 AM
I'm sitting on a sofa covered in a massive blanket that prevents my cat from piercing the sofa fabric when she uses her claws to gain leverage for grooming difficult areas. I tested the sofa without the blanket, and numerous tiny holes appeared.

Right in front of me, above the laptop is a 42 inch Samsung high-def tv. The weird thing is that I often find myself more focused on the laptop while the tv is a secondary focus. I think my use of the internet could be called an addiction. I know addiction very well, and I sense my interaction on the internet is addictive. Yikes! Something to consider for me.

Just to the left of the coffee table is a plant that gradually grew from a cutting of a plant that used to sit on my mother's apartment balcony during the year after my father died, and after that year, she died. My other 5 siblings also received a tiny cutting of this plant, but I never see it when I visit them. Have I kept the plant connection from my mother to we children alive, and they haven't? Maybe, but it's no big deal.

On the wall above the tv are several photos I took many years ago when I traveled in Asia. The best one shows a buddhist monk looking at an apple sellers apple, held by the seller above a basket of apples attached to a bicycle.

And then there's me, sitting on the couch, 65 years old now, living alone but with my cat, wide awake now, wondering whether the world will fall into chaos during my last years. I'm not sure whether I would prefer gentle times or chaos. Probably gentle, since I'm not at an age to handle chaos. But this world is ugly in so many ways, so I think I wouldn't be too disappointed if chaos arrived.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 01:05 AM
a reply to: droid56

Let me try the same thing (if you do'nt mind).

I just put out a generic non-menthol cigarette in an ashtray. My gums hurt a little from eating overcooked left over pizza. It had pepperoni, banana peppers, bacon, and onions on it. It was left over from last night when I got carry-out on new years eve.

I've drank a bottle of white wine, 750ml. I just took a unisom, I'm about to go to bed. My girlfriend is on my bed watching television, its 2:00am EST, there's nothing on because I only have basic cable. She ate an 80 cent Banquet TV dinner that I bought from Wal-Mart, which I bought along with the bottle of wine which was only $2.98 before tax. I went grocery shopping earlier.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 01:39 AM

There's something incredibly beautiful about what you wrote. Thank you.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 01:44 AM

First, why do you call it your last year? Do you have reason, or are you just hoping? lol I say that cause I am slightly older than you are, and know that old age is not for sissies.

I am sitting in a recliner, the TV is off but sometimes it is on. I am angled slightly away from it, it is to my right. An old box style, if it ain't broke don't fix it. lol Directly to my right is an end table where I have my remotes, and lemonade. Also a small magnifying mirror so that I can occasionally look at my wrinkles up close and mourn my lost youth, lmao

I believe that the internet is addicting, but so what. It is my connection to the world being somewhat of a hermit. I envy you the cat. I no longer have any, trip hazard.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 02:45 AM
Out in boonieville either out in hammock posting enjoying the fresh air and breaze or sat under tree at river posting while my cormorants catch fish for dinner .. grab a swim in river betwwen posts along with watch the tigers ..

In "civilization" usually at small coffee shops or at night out at karaoke clubs / pubs posting ..

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 03:54 AM
I agree with your assessment. I too have a plant that has had many cuttings that gets passed on. One from my brothers funeral in 1988

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 06:25 AM

Thank you for this post, there is a lot of peace behind your words.

It's easy to lose connection with what is right in front of you when plugged in to Information Land AKA The Internet.
The pattern in which we obsorb information causes our brains to do a wild dance, and sometimes we forget to quiet the mind.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 07:38 AM

I am alone as I write from high up above the ground, watching the sun getting up, lighting up the pale, nordic sky. Fighting off the cold wearing a robe. A fine dust of snow is falling, glittering in the sunlight. In the far horizon I can see the sea of odd mountains, shaped by the ice ages of old.

This is where I write.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 07:45 AM

Thank you for posting that. Maybe I'm weird, but I like hearing little details about people's lives like that. Could be because I'm a naturally curious person, or maybe it's because there's such a lack of it...people tend to share only the glossy, perfect bits they think will impress others.
I'd rather know the real person, warts n all. It's much more interesting and beautiful.
I hope you don't mind if I share as well.

I'm sitting in bed and my grey old cat (the one in my picture there) is sitting on a pile of pillows next to me, looking at me with his one good eye while purring and kneading the pillows. (I just leaned over to give him a smooch on the head and he licked my nose, then curled up in a little ball, apparently satisfied with the attention.)
It's cold out, and my house is over 100 years old and drafty. Even though I'm wearing the new blue sweater I got for Christmas, and I'm wrapped up in a fluffy blanket, my toes and fingers are icy and I feel they've been that way since fall, and will continue to be until spring.

My room is a mess. I'm always trying to keep things neat and orderly, but it never lasts more than a few days.
Too many interests, hobbies and everyday things crammed into a small space. There's a guitar, a microscope, many different varieties of paper, paint (acrylic, oil, fabric, watercolor), ink, craft supplies, books, thread, dremel kit, broken things I've been meaning to fix for ages (windchimes, a beheaded statuette that used to belong to my grandma), music boxes, a synthesizer, sewing machine, cat toys, teapots, a tv, the ubiquitous basket of laundry, my laptop, some empty soda cans and various video game consoles with games.

I feel like I've always got to have something to do, to keep my hands and mind busy.

There's a bag of licorice jelly beans and chocolate hanging from my bed post. A present from my boyfriend. He's gone now, on the road, and I miss him. Years ago he painted a little smiley face and a heart on my bed frame with my nail polish. I was annoyed, but never got around to removing it. Now I've grown to like it and it's too'll be there forever.

There are medicines here and there. Levothyroxine, promethazine, antacids, CBD spray, acetaminophen, augmentin, st. John's wort, turmeric, zinc lozenges.
My health has always been pretty poor and my stomach hurts a lot.

I think because of that, I would prefer gentle times as well! I wouldn't last too long in any kind of shtf scenario.

By the way, could you post a picture of the monk with the apple seller? I'd like to see it

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 07:46 AM

In the winter I'm sitting on the couch in the living room with the TV news running and the lap top on a couch pillow in my lap. The fireplace is in front of my with a two foot statue of Mary and a two foot statue of Jesus both in front of the fireplace. The painting over the fireplace is of a New England winter scene ... a snow covered hillside with a church and children sledding.

In the nice weather months I sit on the screened porch in a lounge chair with the laptop on a pillow on my lap. I can hear the birds in the backyard, or the crickets, and the wind blowing in the trees. I can watch the sky, we are in the landing pattern for the Philly airport.

In both cases, our beagle Daisy is nearby. Sometimes I reach over and pet her or rub her long ears while I'm online.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 08:07 AM
What a cool thread! You can keep your basic anonymity, yet share a little something personal about yourself. I'd like to try:

I usually post in what we call our home theater room. We have a projection system installed on the ceiling, and a large screen on the wall. There is a sofa closest to the screen, and a set of recliners on a platform directly behind the sofa (stadium seating!)

I sit in my usual spot, one of the recliners. Most of the time that I am posting, the TV/projector is off. This is one of those dual recliner sets that has cup holders and a center console to keep your remotes. My cat likes to keep close to me, so he is usually in this room whenever I am, either curled up in the recliner next to mine, or laying on the back of the sofa. I keep cheap throws on the back of the sofa, because cat hairs. I think my cat is quite handsome - a big black and white fellow. His name is Dominic.

To my left is a wall where we put framed still shots of some of my and my husband's favorite movies. We put these up several years ago -- if we were to put up movie stills today, we'd probably have a whole different set of movies. What is on the wall now are stills from Dr. Strangelove, The Big Lebowski, Cool Hand Luke, Jaws, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, Pulp Fiction, To Kill a Mockingbird, and The Shawshank Redemption.

There is a large picture window on the wall to my right, with heavy deep red drapes to cover all light when we are watching movies. During the day, when the TV isn't on, I like to open the drapes and see the view of our back yard. We have a large crepe myrtle tree right outside the window, which blooms beautiful deep pink flowers all summer. Birds and squirrels are particularly fond of hanging out in this tree, and I like to watch their shenanigans. My cat likes to watch as well, so sometimes, on a sunny afternoon, he will sprawl out on the window sill, half sleeping and half mesmerized by the critters in the tree.

Many times when I am sitting here on my laptop, my daughter (now 13) will come in to sit and talk with me. When she was at school, I would get bored so the internet became my distraction. I don't have as much time to surf the net now, as I started homeschooling my daughter last fall. But sometimes, during early mornings, evenings, weekends and holidays, I find my self sitting comfortably in my recliner here, speaking with you fine folks.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 08:17 AM

Mine is waaaay too close to the fridge and the kitchen snack drawer.
The temptation to snack is always there. But I fight it.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 09:46 AM
Ok, for me, I'm at my kitchen table. To the left is a wicker basket with a pretty pink ribbon bow that holds my meds , colored pens, small, decorative writing pads and other small items. Behind my laptop is a big vase of pink and white flowers. To the right of that is a 5 and half gallon fish tank with fake greenery and two live moss balls, some pretty fancy guppies and some neons, an African dwarf frog and a ghost shrimp. On the wall above the table is a painting that was done by a dear friend of mine many years ago. It is a Winter scene with snow and trees and a brook.

On one of the chairs at the table there is an Angel bear and doll sitting there with a burgundy colored pillow embroidered with silk ribbon roses and vines.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 10:07 AM
In my office/studio alone near downtown, laptop on my left, desktop w/21in monitor straight ahead. My Work on the monitor and ATS, FB and email on the laptop. Studio completely filled with implements of my craft, cameras, tripods, lights, 7 tv monitors, C stands, teleprompter, microphones, mic stands, guitars, amps, upright bass, piano, etc. with no apparent organization.
The west wall is painted a nasty shade of green and the east wall has a big window with the Mountains, now white with snow in view and 3rd st with the homeless making their way back to the shelter. I hear Max down the hall struggling with gear loading it into the grip truck we share. I practically live in this space as do the other artist, musicians, filmmakers, writers and dancers that also rent in this one time warehouse owned by the Southern Pacific railroad. To me it's Heaven!

S&F for a great thread, adding a whole new dimension to the community !
edit on 2-1-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 01:11 PM
a reply to: olaru12

I feel this thread needs a bump! I'm really interested in other members lives and environment; it's the human element that puts the personal touch on ATS.

Perhaps it's threads like this one that could help alleviate the rudeness, adversarial and mean spirited atmosphere that has taken root on ATS.

Seeing other members in a more human intimate context might help....I hope so!

edit on 2-1-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 07:45 PM

The door bolted and shut behind me, I open ATS through my "lap killer" (a larger laptop). I'm in my comfy recliner, with footstool close by in front. To my left, close to the cozy futon, is a table with an old-fashioned student lamp, made with heavy brass. Around the lamp is an assortment of objects, ranging from crystals to books. To my right, my cat peeks through the opened shades, and out onto my balcony.

All is quiet, hidden behind heavy oak doors and a sturdy floor, littered with musical instruments. As for myself, I'm wrapped up in a hoodie, fresh from the dryer with a bit of lingering warmth. Although the light is dim, the angle from the lamp is just enough to see the screen.

With my favorite drink on hand (Peppermint Tea, or Pine if available), and music low, my ATS quest begins.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 11:55 PM
I totally enjoyed all of the responses describing other people's posting environment. Thank you.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 01:13 AM
I'm laying in bed. The room is dark except for my phone. The sheets are cold so my feet are tucked in between my husband's feet. I can hear him breathing softly and also my toddler whistle-snoring through the monitor.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 07:37 AM

Thank you for sharing your environment Droid .. your home sounds interesting and a perhaps a touch magical.

I am a bit lazy when it comes to the internet and I like posting from my bedroom.

I like my bedroom to be peaceful and tranquil .. my little nest.

I love white covers on my bed and I have flowers in several vases in my room .. I have a dream catcher from the Native Canadians [ first nation ?] on my window and a small rug I bought from the native American people in New Mexico in front of my bed.

I have pictures of animals .. elephants and zebras and a small picture of a wolf howling .. opposite me.

On my chest of drawers I have a beautiful copy of a picture that was discovered in Pompei .. of a woman on a green back ground surrounded by flowers .. I bought this at the British Museum when I visited for the Pompei exhibition .. I love all things Pompei [ and Roman ] and I highly recommend the British Museum .. I love it there.

I have quite a few crystals .. because I love them and they are beautiful and are part of the earth .. they have come from various places .. the one I use as a door stop is large and pale blue and I bought it in East London in South Africa [ another magical place].

I have some tiles I bought in Italy when I have been there on various trips and in the corner I have a yellow and green ish blue lava lamp .. which was a present last year and I always have it on when I am at home.

I have various family bits and pieces .. one of my favourite is a Chinese bowl that is blue metal that my great grand father brought back from China when he was sent there with the Royal Navy after the first world war.

I also have a picture that is framed from an old newspaper of the Angel of Mons .. I found it at an antique fair and had it framed and I love it .. it must be 100 years old.

On my floor I have various books .. Mark Twain's [ who is my favourite ] Tom Sawyer .. which I have only just started to read and C J Sansom's latest novel [ I love Sheldrake ].

Make up and perfume is littered about .. I have 3 bottles of my fav perfume which is by Lancôme [ courtesy of Xmas ]

My room needs to be tidied .. I hate mess .. but I have been lazy recently. ... it is a bit messy really.

I also have a picture of a big London double decker bus for some reason .. opposite me..

I need to put up my new blind .. the old one is awful and needs replacing ...

I also have a huge feather that I found placed behind my elephant picture .. I am sure I must have been some sort of Shamen in a past life !!!!!!!!!!

BTW I love White horses / wolves and crows [ and have pictures of them around the house]... as you can probably guess from my avatar and I do have brown hair ..
edit on 3-1-2015 by HelenConway because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 08:43 AM
a reply to: HelenConway

here is Flora the Goddess of Spring who was drawn / painted over 2000 years ago in Pompeii.

I love her .. she cheers me up so hope you guys like her too

top topics

<<   2 >>