It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chemical Imbalances

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 10:27 PM
link   
There has never been one single scientific test that has ever documented a chemical imbalance in the brain, or correct chemical balance of the brain. Factually, no device or test even exists to measure it. Despite these facts, psychiatrists and pharmasutical companies have a multi-billion dollar industry founded on the slogan "better living through chemistry." So my question to ATS. What is your take on chemical imbalances and how has a mult-billion dollar industry formed on the foundation of psuedo-science?

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: satsanga

What is your take on chemical imbalances and how has a mult-billion dollar industry formed on the foundation of psuedo-science?

While I do feel that the money making side is based on pseudo-science...

Given that, as you said, the correct balance is up for interpretation, even those labelled "normal" would all have different, even if similar, levels...

So balanced & imbalanced are pretty much just figures of speech...

On the other hand, MRIs & other types of Brain Scans can tell a Neurosurgeon quite a lot about which part of the Brain is in use, & in relation to that they can tell the sort of effect it can have on a person.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 11:04 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs
How would a scientist go about testing if someones brain chemisry was normal? How would they establish what normal brain chemistry was?

edit on 1-1-2015 by satsanga because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-1-2015 by satsanga because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   

To elaborate on what I already said, I don't think "normal" exists...

Take two seperate people, no stressors in Life, no Mental Health problems...
They'd still have Chemical differences... Even with similar readings, they wouldn't be identical...

So taking that into account, they can't test for it...

What they can do with Brain Scans is determine certain effects in Neurology with patterns in certain parts of the Brain which will then help them come to a conclusion if something is abnormal, for want of a better word.

These patterns formed, can deem someone to be "normal", because with Mental Health issues, a different pattern to expectations emerges.
edit on 1-1-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

What they can do with Brain Scans is determine certain effects in Neurology with patterns in certain parts of the Brain which will then help them come to a conclusion if something is abnormal, for want of a better word.

These patterns formed, can deem someone to be "normal", because with Mental Health issues, a different pattern to expectations emerges.

How is this relevant to the OP? I'm not saying it isn't, i'm just wondering how.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 11:50 PM
link   

how has a mult-billion dollar industry formed on the foundation of psuedo-science?

This is how it's relevant...
The industry you're discussing was formed on Neuroscience which is currently based on Brain Scans & patterns within...

An imbalance is merely a layman's term for the actual effect on neurotransmission in the Nervous System...
Which is studied using Brain Scans.

This isn't to say that pseudo-science doesn't exist in the realms of neuroscience...
It's just to point out that at it's core it's actually formed by testable scientific means.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 01:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: satsanga
There has never been one single scientific test that has ever documented a chemical imbalance in the brain, or correct chemical balance of the brain. Factually, no device or test even exists to measure it. Despite these facts, psychiatrists and pharmasutical companies have a multi-billion dollar industry founded on the slogan "better living through chemistry." So my question to ATS. What is your take on chemical imbalances and how has a mult-billion dollar industry formed on the foundation of psuedo-science?

Some factual references for your conjecture would be traditional.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 02:14 AM
link   

There has never been one single scientific test that has ever documented a chemical imbalance in the brain ...

What about dopamine deficiency in the brains of people with Parkinson's disease ? , isn't that a "documented a chemical imbalance in the brain"
edit on 2-1-2015 by Takifugu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 04:55 AM
link   

My personal experiences are that chemical imbalances can be genuine. I was diagnosed in 2005 with Major Depressive Disorder and given medication. While I have had medication changes since then, the difference between being on medication and not being on anything is astronomical. The types of thoughts and general mindset was not sustainable and would have led to suicide.

I am not a fan of Big Pharma or the industry, but there are genuine cases of people whom need and benefit from medication. Whether chemical imbalances are the root cause is debatable, but from my experiences and those of others with similar conditions medication helps to manage things better than before.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I suffered depression when I was in middle and high school - I met a psychologist who told me it's a result of a chemical imbalance in my brain, and that antidepressants would correct that imbalance. I was on them for about 6 years, and when I graduated he weaned me off of them by gradually reducing the prescription, hoping that in the absence of the antidepressants my brain would start producing it's own "feel-good" chemicals. As far as I'm concerned it worked - I'm not depressed anymore.

I do still occasionally have a bad day where I just feel "down" but I can pull myself out of it most of the time, by listening to some uplifting music, or doing something I enjoy. It's usually triggered by stress at work, or an argument, or something like that. But I haven't been on antidepressants in over 10 years, so I for one think they work great. When I was in high school, I didn't talk. I would just stare at people and look angry all the time. Now I can smile and hold a conversation, and everything.

I don't doubt that my psychologist knew what he was talking about - neuroscience is complicated and I wouldn't understand a study on brain chemicals if I were to even see one.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 06:50 AM
link   
So they do a brain scan on Every one who has problems?

No, what they do is give them some tablets and see if they work.
if not try again and keep trying.
now That is Real Science.

their is NO present way to test the brain to find problems.
its Not like damage. each brain is different.
even if only a little.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Well OP, I know that if I didn't have my medication, I'd have killed someone by now. Is it because of a chemical imbalance or is it just because I'm mental? I have no idea, but I'm glad I have the option to take my medication and be safe to live in civilised society.

So, while I hate that big pharma make so much money off of my misery, I am grateful for the medication.

Rev

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 07:11 AM
link   

how has a mult-billion dollar industry formed on the foundation of psuedo-science?

Medical insurance.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Hard thing to judge, I remember reading an ATS thread about Debbie Song and thinking this ladies brain must be running some kind of pure nitro Seratonin. Inspired me to take a journey into no mans land that changed my whole world view.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I've always thought the idea of depression NOT caused by ouside factors/circumsances is ridiculous. I've never heared of anyone who is depressed "for no reason" and even if someone seemingly is, let's not forget how sich the environment we live really is, so even if a person doesn't realize this or concret problems related to themselves, doesn't mean they aren't the cause for their depression.
So could pills really help or is it just a placebo? And even if they help, at what cost? Seems to me those who get even more messed up by the pills are too many to be worth the risk.
I'm willing to believe this:
www.ammoland.com... ooting-in-the-last-20-years-shares-psychotropic-drugs/
edit on 2-1-2015 by mkpetrov because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs
Before I proceed with you I just want to establish your opinon. Are you saying that these "medications" are based on legitamite and sound science?

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: peskyhumans
There is no evidence that "imbalances" exist.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Lets make something else very clear before we proceed. A CURE and SYMPTOM SUPPRESSION are two very different things.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Takifugu
I'll converse with you when you give me serious links. Wikipedia should never be used to validate one's opinion or anything for that matter.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost
There is no evidence that neurological chemical imbalances exist. I'm extremely happy that medication helped you and I wish you the best. However your anecdotal (and no doubt true) experiences convey no scientific proof that chemical imbalances exist within the brain.

There is no doubt that some people need psychological help and it is not my intention to belittle these people, they have the right to be helped. I just don't think there is any sound science behind psychiatric medication. I encourage you to read "Dianetics, the modern science of mental health." It will expose you to valid science pertaining to the mental health industry.
edit on 2-1-2015 by satsanga because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join