It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I live better on Welfare then I ever did working!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to PaladinRoden

How very ironic that the same government that you blame for the cost of your health insurance and daycare costs going up is the same government that you are getting all these benefits from. Wow! People like me who work and pay taxes are paying for people like you to scam the system. I work for my county human services office, and unfortunately many of our clients are like you. If you are found to be committing fraud, you will be caught. Believe me, I've seen it happen to many of our clients.
edit on 1-1-2015 by ChiefD because: Placement of my reply and clarification who Inreplied to

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Congratulations on becoming one of the welfare exploiters that many claim do not exist. Taking advantage of and gaming the system when you are perfectly capable of working and paying your own way takes a special kind of slime. It is people like you that makes me wish there was only welfare for disabled and truly needy people. You and those like you are a worthless drain on society.

edit on 1/1/2015 by SpaDe_ because: changed

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: MagesticEsoteric

I think he makes a strong and important point, which is that the quality of life for the middle class should be much better in this country; and at the least - feasible. For him, it was not (feasible) so he did what he had to do.

Your mad at him for accepting what is relatively chump change, but you are not mad at the big wig sharks for wasting and blowing boat loads.. boat loads!

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   

If it was up to me I would of rather stayed in my profession, but because of government intrusion into the market place daycare, health insurance and education cost have outpaced the populations to afford it.

'Your Profession"? Which is what, by the way? And your wife, what is her degree in? How long did you actually work before deciding to pursue your careers in welfare fraud?

So, you quit your jobs? Hm. What do call able-bodied people who refuse to work in order to get welfare?

And "You would of rather"? Poor English, or not American. Which? Certainly not an educated American.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Well, If your story is true and your living a great life now I say congratulations.

Glad to see that you think the money, food stamps, utility payments and free rent are actually free. I pay a # load of taxes and am glad to see that you and your family are living well off of it.

i work my ass off and do not have much left over every month either but at least what I have is MINE & I worked for it.

Sorry but I think you're pathetic.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: nOraKat

I think he makes a strong and important point, which is that the quality of life for the middle class should be much better in this country; and at the least - feasible. For him, it was not (feasible) so he did what he had to do.

Your mad at him for accepting what is relatively chump change, but you are not mad at the big wig sharks for wasting and blowing boat loads.. boat loads!

It takes a set of balls to make a life you want to live.

Plain and simple! The OP obviously doesn't possess a set.

I came from # all and still made a successful life for myself. That is the only point I was trying to make.

I'm not mad at all. I started from the bottom of the God Damn barrel and eeked my way to a better life. It wasn't handed to me. I did it all my own.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   
With all due respect to some of you who are pissed off...

If the OP & his Wife worked for many years paying Taxes, who are you to say they shouldn't take advantage and take some of those Taxes back...

You're all saying "my Taxes paid for that" but the way I look at it the OP's Taxes paid for it not your's.

At the same time you're not in their shoes, so you can't even say you'd be any different given their circumstances.
Sure you can claim that you would...

But that would be an opinion not based in hindsight of their situation.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Listen, we've been agreeing with each other the whole time. Why start attacking me all of a sudden? At no point did I complain or gripe about my situation, only compared it with the OPs for some perspective. I appreciate you trying to make a point that we can continue to cut costs, but part of being a grown-up is making one's own decisions, right? Just like part of being grown-up is eventually accepting other's choices, because they are not your own.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   
From you intro:

Hello fellow ATS members. I am writing to introduce myself. I am an American born in England currently live in South Texas. My hobbies include reading, research, economics, history and science

Okay, so that explains the English issues. So nevermind about that. I would still like to know what your degrees are in, and if there were perhaps other motivations other than money, to cause you two to abandon them.

link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting
a reply to: PaladinRoden

I reread your OP. I think 80 percent of everything you said is absolute BS. You're full of it.

God Bless America! Were the middle class live poor and the poor live middle class. WTF!

More BS.

ETA, oh Mr. Master's degree, the word you want here is "where", not were.

Completley agree!

You have to contribute to the middle "class" before you can be a part of it.

Seriously! You are beyond delusional.

I wish you all the best but, I just don't see you making it.

link   
I'm not going to say whether your story is true or not. It's not really the point of my reply.

My reply is gonna be pretty simple. Be Prepared and if you're doing better and have extra each month on welfare as you guys call it, then save what you can. Ignore what people say, is it dishonest what you're doing? Should you be showing your kids that working your arse off with no hope of retiring at an age when you can enjoy your freedom? Should you be showing them what it means to work your way through life? No. that's my simple answer. You need to show your children that you will do whatever it takes to live and support them. Just do me one thing and save any extra money, a financial adviser I just saw a few months back (I'm 29 now and had a personal break down because of my bills and low income I have no money saved and no money for a rainy day) at least 10 percent of your income should be put aside for retirement or a rainy day. Just make sure you've got something because if something happens (which it probably will) you have some money to fall back on.

Think of the people who plan for the end of the world and hide a ton of food and water etc. do this with your money. In fact can everyone take that as advice. apparently and according to Martin Lewis (well known British financial adviser) no matter your age start planning for next year. Put a tenner away every month, it doesn't seem like a lot but ten years down the line if something happens you've got some money in your back pocket.

Sorry if the reply is more of a ramble. But I've been telling people for a few years now that we need to forget the laws and rules. If you want to fight and claw your way to a safe financial future, then do and forget what other people say.

To the repliers in front of me - Sorry if this pee's you guys off but the real world isn't fine and dandy, the rich who are getting huge cuts and aids from YOUR government dont go to sleep at night thinking 'Oh I wonder if Joe Smith, has something to eat or warmth.' They dont care and neither should you. I WILL ARGUE ANYONE WHO SAYS PUTTING YOURSELVES AHEAD OF EVERYONE ELSE AND THE RULES, IS WRONG.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   
What I find to be the most amazing part of this story is the fact that two people with Masters Degrees can actually perform simple family financial arithmetic !!!

It's possible this scenario is true.

And it gives a purpose to the old saying:

If You Can't Beat 'em, Join 'em

link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

They get their taxes back in other ways Charlie, just like the rest of us. Public services, highways, streetlights.........
Taxes don't entitle you to make your entire life living off money unlawfully.

link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
With all due respect to some of you who are pissed off...

If the OP & his Wife worked for many years paying Taxes, who are you to say they shouldn't take advantage and take some of those Taxes back...

You're all saying "my Taxes paid for that" but the way I look at it the OP's Taxes paid for it not your's.

At the same time you're not in their shoes, so you can't even say you'd be any different given their circumstances.
Sure you can claim that you would...

But that would be an opinion not based in hindsight of their situation.

They gave up because of what a financial adviser said! Now let me ask you this? If your situation was as dire as the OP made it out to be, where in the hell would you come up with the money to consult with a financial advisor?

As Cuervo already pointed out, this OP appears to be pure BS!

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Danny85
To the repliers in front of me - Sorry if this pee's you guys off but the real world isn't fine and dandy, the rich who are getting huge cuts and aids from YOUR government dont go to sleep at night thinking 'Oh I wonder if Joe Smith, has something to eat or warmth.' They dont care and neither should you. I WILL ARGUE ANYONE WHO SAYS PUTTING YOURSELVES AHEAD OF EVERYONE ELSE AND THE RULES, IS WRONG.

Just don't cry or complain when you get caught with that logic.

People will do what they have to..I know I personally wouldn't cheat the system but that doesn't mean that the OP should think that way.

I'm just tired of criminals that complain about the consequences of being a criminal .

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

But what he is saying is "we were working, and by the time we paid our bills every month, we didn't have as much disposable income as we wanted".

That does not entitle one to do what he is doing. In fact, I wonder how many people on this very thread could complain of the same thing? I could use a little more disposable income every month too. But I have limits on what I am willing to do to get it.

(post by MagesticEsoteric removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   

You have found a way to survive, spend more time with your loved ones, improve your health and smell the roses along the way...and you've done it legally.

I say...enjoy!

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

I was speaking of taxes set aside for welfare...

If the OP & his Wife did work for many years, they also put into that budget.

What about taxes that go towards Military & Political expenditure?
I'd hedge my bets that the budget for those two alone surpass welfare...

None of you see a penny of that, but still pay it... Might as well screw the system if they're screwing you.

I'm not even saying any of this is necessarily morally or lawfully right, but I'm also not in a position to judge the OP when I have no clue what the circumstances are.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: AshleyD
Taking a handout or being on some kind of government program would be a major blow to my self esteem. I'd die a little inside every time I had to pull out the food stamp card or fill out the forms for my son to get CHIP and SNAP or whatever programs there are. Especially knowing I am able bodied, intelligent, and perfectly capable of providing for my family.

Example: Since I began driving I have paid 60,000 so far in car insurance payments with no claims. Yes, I calculated it out. If I file a claim after an accident is it a handout? Hardly. No one seems to think so.

If you pay into something and the time comes that you draw on your investment there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. This "view" about handouts is a purely socially inflicted issue. I think it's funny that people with these views [not pointing at you here, just generalizing] have no issues with drawing social security when they get old enough.... no matter how well off they are.

I think the stigma is enforced so those behind inflicting the stigma can continue secretly collecting themselves. Could be through subsidies, could be through tax "loopholes". Who knows. I do know that if I want a return on my investment I will take it and if anyone has an issue they are nothing but hypocrites based on the above views.

A handout by any good definition is something that you have done nothing to deserve.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join