It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I live better on Welfare then I ever did working!

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   
So having children should be the right of the esablished privaliged few?

I can agree with that, given that poor people would struggle to raise children in a manner that was acceptable and so forth.

Maybe the best thing to do is make sure only the right kind of people are allowed to have children so there are no undesirables or sticky kids out there.

I know this is not what you are saying but we tried it and failed.

Then some other guys tried it and failed as well, as I recall there was a bit of a war about the whole idea.

Again I know thats not your opinion but lets not go there in my opinion.

Or I'll get my coat, either way.

a reply to: Aazadan

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: operation mindcrime
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

I never understood how a nation of hard working people (which, in my head, Americans are) could fall to this level of dispair (if I may call it that?).

As a kid growing up and a dad who worked for TexasIntruments, I'm very familiar with the American work-ethic.

How could a nation of hard working people fall so hard??

I get 40 days paid leaf a year, a 13th month salary and a Christmas bonus yet you guys seem to work double shift, make impressive salaries (100K a year) but can hardly pay the mortgage??

Somebody is being screwed and I think it's time you guys stand up for yourselfs!!!

Peace

Such a large task required a large plan with a large group and a lot of support. But...the time is coming

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
So having children should be the right of the esablished privaliged few?

I can agree with that, given that poor people would struggle to raise children in a manner that was acceptable and so forth.

Maybe the best thing to do is make sure only the right kind of people are allowed to have children so there are no undesirables or sticky kids out there.

I know this is not what you are saying but we tried it and failed.

Then some other guys tried it and failed as well, as I recall there was a bit of a war about the whole idea.

Again I know thats not your opinion but lets not go there in my opinion.

Or I'll get my coat, either way.

a reply to: Aazadan

We live in a free society where people are able to make their own decisions. Some decide to have children, others don't. If a person decides to, or doesn't prevent having a child they can't afford...that was ultimately their decision. My decision is that I don't want to pay for the child you couldn't afford to have, let alone raise. Fair is fair...free is free and your decisions shouldn't affect me, anymore than mine should affect you. If your decisions DO affect me...then I have a right to complain and demand change because no individual has the "right" to cost another money, time, etc.

And before anyone attacks...I'm estimating that I've given away about $2500 this past year to charity and directly to people. But I have the right to CHOOSE how I...or if I want to give to others.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I feel where you are coming from, I truly do but when did this just become about you and what you earn and pay if I may ask?

You have no right to answer and I certainly have no right to ask this question.

I assume you are from a priviliged lifestlye, that your ancesters made the world you now live in?

Maybe some of us are different and I dont mean that in a higher than mighty way.

I get the feeling that if I see you fall I would pick you up and brush you down.

If you saw me fall down I guess I would have to pick myself up and feel ashamed for being so weak in you presence.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   

It stopped being your money when it went into the tax coffers. End of story. Whether it's paying for roads, or infrastructure, or your local justice system, bailing out banks, or going to TANF is irrelevant.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I don't think you are allowed to include things that benifit you when you pay your god damn taxes does it?

I thought it only counted when you saw someone taking somthing that you do not currently have.

Maybe I have got that all wrong I have been following this tread for a while now and may be a little confused.

a reply to: Hefficide

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   

And before anyone attacks...I'm estimating that I've given away about $2500 this past year to charity and directly to people. But I have the right to CHOOSE how I...or if I want to give to others.

Good for you...oh but wait, what if one of those charities was for terminally ill children, who are given the wish of a lifetime and one of the families who benefitted from your contribution happend to be capable of supporting both the wish and themselves financially...would you begrudge the family the funding?

I do not use the example to be emotive, we could insert any charity you wish, the bottom line is, what if the benficiaries of your hard earned dollar were accessing the charity, yet didn't need to financially?

Just as with taxes you have no control over where your financial contribution goes, in fact a better example as with a lot of charities there are people who are employed to canvass people out of their hard earned money, how would you feel if 70% of your contribution went to paying someones wage, rather than directly towards the cause itself?

There are many people in the world who once upon a time had fabulous jobs, careers even who could afford a comfortable lifestyle, who now sit on the streets homeless, due to messy divorce, or alcohol addiction, or both even, or for other reasons such as redundancy, perhaps they weren't performing as well as the company expected them to, found more productive, efficient new blood...it's a long way down and it does happen.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: PaladinRoden
There's always free cheese in the mousetrap.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: PaladinRoden

I've been at my job a year.... I make 50,000 a year... I have not gone to college... or university...

I should go so that i can make more.... what do you have 80,000 in loans for that you make 40,000 a year..... that sounds stupid. I'm sorry, I just think your time should be more valuable..... Bad company ????

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 01:50 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

I wasn't saying that it should be the right of the privileged few, but in the current economy that's what it is and it's wrong. There's two camps in the US, there's the people in the top few percent that can afford their kids, and then there's a whole lot of people lower, that have the majority of the children and they need assistance to cover them. I don't know why it is, but it's a global phenomenon and it has been well established: The better off people are, the more luxuries they have in life, and the more upward mobility they have the less interested they are in having children. You can see this at work on a macro level by comparing birth rates in developed nations to developing ones.

I'm saying that rather than have a welfare system which pays out based on your number of children, and exists more or less solely for the support of those children lets have a system that encourages people to wait until they're ready to have kids, and gives them the support they need to move forward in life.

I'm not advocating X/income to have kids, or one child per family, or anything else like that... having kids should always be the choice of the future parents. I am saying though that as a society the way we're encouraging people to have kids they can't afford and offering no help to those who are taking the more responsible path and need a helping hand is wrong. If we did that, the problem of people being unable to afford their children would largely solve itself based on documented human behavior.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 03:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: solargeddon

Good for you...oh but wait, what if one of those charities was for terminally ill children, who are given the wish of a lifetime and one of the families who benefitted from your contribution happend to be capable of supporting both the wish and themselves financially...would you begrudge the family the funding?

I do not use the example to be emotive, we could insert any charity you wish, the bottom line is, what if the benficiaries of your hard earned dollar were accessing the charity, yet didn't need to financially?

Just as with taxes you have no control over where your financial contribution goes, in fact a better example as with a lot of charities there are people who are employed to canvass people out of their hard earned money, how would you feel if 70% of your contribution went to paying someones wage, rather than directly towards the cause itself?

There are many people in the world who once upon a time had fabulous jobs, careers even who could afford a comfortable lifestyle, who now sit on the streets homeless, due to messy divorce, or alcohol addiction, or both even, or for other reasons such as redundancy, perhaps they weren't performing as well as the company expected them to, found more productive, efficient new blood...it's a long way down and it does happen.

I trust myself, way more than the government to make a wise choice. Plus...I don't have to pay the middle-man.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 03:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide

It stopped being your money when it went into the tax coffers. End of story. Whether it's paying for roads, or infrastructure, or your local justice system, bailing out banks, or going to TANF is irrelevant.

Yes...but it makes a huge difference when the agency responsible for distributing those taxes doesn't give a crap or just does a piss-poor job accounting for where it goes and who is legitimately deserving.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 03:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
I feel where you are coming from, I truly do but when did this just become about you and what you earn and pay if I may ask?

You have no right to answer and I certainly have no right to ask this question.

I assume you are from a priviliged lifestlye, that your ancesters made the world you now live in?

Maybe some of us are different and I dont mean that in a higher than mighty way.

I get the feeling that if I see you fall I would pick you up and brush you down.

If you saw me fall down I guess I would have to pick myself up and feel ashamed for being so weak in you presence.

If you mean white...yes. I've been unemployed for two years, about a decade ago and I busted my ass working for other companies and started a few of my own. If you are asking if I'm wealthy...not by a long shot. As far as a stranger falling...I would help them up in a heartbeat and if they needed anything, and I believed they were being honest...I would give something. I have before, and I would in the future. Even when I have little to offer.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 03:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide

PS: So what are you implying? That the money taken from the people becomes the government's money or the recipient's money? If someone steals from me and spends that money...yes...it is still mine. And when a government throws our money away without even verifying that it goes to the right parties...yes...they are wasting my money. Oh yes...the government WANTS the recipients to believe the money is the government's...but it isn't. It is the people's. And when it is wasted...it is the government wasting the people's money. I'm sure MOST people feel the same way.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 03:42 AM
link   
WOW! And one final word before I get ready for work...charity isn't charity when you are forced to pay it. It is only charity when you choose to.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 06:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Danny85
I'm not going to say whether your story is true or not. It's not really the point of my reply.

Glad someone at least mentioned this...the OP read, to me, like someone trying to make a point...and therefore having a pretty high chance of being false...like someone inventing a narrative which 'confirms' their point, in this case that welfare is bad, and let's people easily rip off the system and be better off than if they work hard...he intentionally paints himself in a bad light, becoming symbolic of the evils of welfare, which is the point of the thread...
Seems to me...
edit on 5-1-2015 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: DrJunk

I prefer to live in a civilization where we address our disabled and mentally ill. Even if I have to pay. I am glad that I was healthy enough to work 42 years. We already tried civilizations where we throw them into mass graves.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   
You guys shouldn't be so hard on this man - the economy is buggered, the Americans especially print money, yes it's "loaned" but that's just a front - the money comes from thin air, the Government themselves are not really in a position to be making any rules considering they break almost all of them.

The money spent on war because of some Americans (and Brits, French and countless others) apathy towards other peoples, it's all a big petro dollar scam, and I for one will not play by rules that Hippocrates have written.

This money doesn't come from your neighbors, it would in a proper system, but taxes don't even cover the interest on the debt - it is more debt belonging to the government - but the bill ends with the tax payers eventually - there is a reason it is this way and you must be naive to think it is just happenstance.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   
edit on 5-1-2015 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
a reply to: DrJunk

I prefer to live in a civilization where we address our disabled and mentally ill. Even if I have to pay. I am glad that I was healthy enough to work 42 years. We already tried civilizations where we throw them into mass graves.

I agree with you also...wholeheartedly. But NOT people who are 100% fine, and just don't want to support themselves and decide to instead steal from us, and the needy you mention.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join