It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to record police without losing your video.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   

In light of the ever increasing militarization and brutality by the Blue Mafia, I thought that ATSers may benefit from the the following article.

At the current rate, its just a matter of time before we find ourselves at an illegal checkpoint or a victim of America's "finest".

Its sad that in America things have come to this.

If you know of other helpful apps or devices, please post them as well.

How to record police encounters without losing your video.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

Good to know! Even though I don't currently own a cell phone, I book marked it for future reference!

For now, I'll use my Constitutional rights to defend myself from the Gestapo!

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   
The reason the article highlights streaming video live to a server somewhere is for the following reason (which they fail to mention, or at least explain it's importance in regards to what the cops can do with any recordings):

Cops can confiscate get any footage from phones nearby or in building because "a crime has occured" and they think you may "delete the evidence".

www.katu.com...

www.techdirt.com...

I liked this quote:

"No matter how many courts claim that videotaping police is legal, no matter how many officials instruct the cops under them that people recording them aren't breaking the law, they will only care once those rulings and instructions come backed with punishments for failing to comply, and not a minute before."

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   
UStream is way, way too expensive. It's a good idea, but here's where it's gonna end for most people. Starts from $99 to over $2,00 a month, to use something you may never need or only use once. Yes, if you need it only once in your life, it'd be worth it to catch them on video. But, how many have that much to spare every month?

www.ustream.tv...

START FREE TRIAL
Test drive all Pro features now, with no commitment. Broadcast to an audience of any size (up to 5 without ads) and access advanced Pro features. Choose a paid plan or revert to a Basic ad-supported free account after 30 days.

PRO PLANS
Advanced broadcasting features
Monthly plans
from $99 to $999
VIEW PRO PLANS
From 100 to 5,000 viewer hours i
Ad-free broadcasting i
HD broadcasting (up to 720p) i
Phone support i
Video embed control i
Channel password protection i
Channel customization i
Facebook and Twitter integration i
ENTERPRISE
Custom quarterly plans
tailored to your business
Plans start at $2,000/month
Call +1 (415) 489 9390
OR
CONTACT US

Here's some alternatives. - alternativeto.net...

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: igor_ats
The reason the article highlights streaming video live to a server somewhere is for the following reason (which they fail to mention, or at least explain it's importance in regards to what the cops can do with any recordings):

Cops can confiscate get any footage from phones nearby or in building because "a crime has occured" and they think you may "delete the evidence".

www.katu.com...

www.techdirt.com...

I liked this quote:

"No matter how many courts claim that videotaping police is legal, no matter how many officials instruct the cops under them that people recording them aren't breaking the law, they will only care once those rulings and instructions come backed with punishments for failing to comply, and not a minute before."

This is my question on the streaming videotaping. What happens if you are trying to record the police but catch someone else doing something criminal. Can your videotape be used as evidence against that person since I assume that you are streaming it and allowing it to be seen by everyone? Can the police subpoena the recording for evidence? What is going to happen to the person recording when others find out you recorded their indiscretion and broadcast it to everyone? I just wonder how this is all going to turn out with evidence and privacy issues.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: feldercarb
What happens if you are trying to record the police but catch someone else doing something criminal. Can your videotape be used as evidence against that person since I assume that you are streaming it and allowing it to be seen by everyone?

Can the police subpoena the recording for evidence?

You mean like if CNN is doing some random live report and someone runs around naked behind the reporter?

I don't think they can subpoena the footage. . . it's already in the "public domain" so legally pointless afaik. It can still be used as evidence, no reason it can't afaik.

Unless you're a peeping tom, recording something in public will hardly have someone come at you for "invading their privacy" unless they're mentally unstable. The only privacy issues is when the police use "wire-tapping" laws to trump up charges against someone recording them in public, but that seems to be resolved at least in one place in the USA.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: igor_ats

It just that I wonder how this will all turn out. Yes the police are aggressive but I don't think that the other side are being little angels either. When the police start wearing body cameras and use them as evidence I expect there will be some lawsuits by the ACLU to dismiss the videos. Likewise, I can see this going very badly for someone who just happens to pick up a crime being committed and the police find the contents of the video. I can see death and intimidation occurring if people start recording their days and letting everyone see what happens in their daily lives. It will not take long for the police to find these sites and have a team reviewing them for evidence of crimes being committed.

I am just saying that no one should be surprised if this turns out badly for someone who is just trying to be a good Samaritan.

new topics

top topics

join