It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CyberWars: Want To Give The NSA Excedrin Headache #23??? Here Is How!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bybyots
a reply to: Hefficide

Hey?

So what about you Heff? Didja take a look at the MIT Kerberos thing?

I've been really excited about it since I learned about it in school and seldom find anyone that is as interested in talking about it as I am.

The goal of MITs KIT consortium is to put people's personal data fully whithin their own control.

Here look: See Alice? All that stuff in the yellow boxes on the left of this image belong to Alice. All the folks on the right want to acess Alice's Personal Data Store.

You are right, if a service on the WWW is set up for it, it's all digested and regurgitated. Well, that's the way that "Web 2.0" is supposed to work. In adition to the "Semantic Web" aspects of this "Web 2.0", there is also this concept (the reality, really) of the "Internet of Things". That's devices that belong to you that might have your PII and SPI attached to them that are left on all the time. These days that could be things like your refrigerator.

But it's definitely things like municipal utilities and stuff like train systems.

Anyhow, I'm interested in hearing what you think of it.

Something like that is going to be almost entirely useless to someone like me, so I can't justify putting in the time to learn to use it, knowing that I never will. All of my information is already under my own control. I don't know about an "internet of things", either - all I got was this crappy "internet of pseudo information". I've yet to get the first "thing" off of it. The only "device" I have other than this computer is a phone (at least my teenage niece tells me it's a "device" - still looks like a plain old phone to me). It's "buy as you fly", and registered to an old alias I had years ago,,, and isn't allowed to connect to the internet anyhow. I never figured out a reason to connect a PHONE to the internet - it's a PHONE, for God's sakes! You talk on it! Computers are for internetting!

For the most part I don't exist, anyhow - no bank accounts, no driver's license, no utility bills, no insurance, no medical records, no credit cards, no mortgage, no paper trail - electronic or otherwise.

Because of all that, Kerberos is a few steps too far for my needs.

edit on 2015/1/7 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: nenothtu

See, but now you've stumbled into another facet of the NSA that endlessly invokes my aggression. Simply by saying that you don't use a smart phone, but an old phone tied to an old alias, and that you are off paper - you've given information. By NOT giving any you've given some.

Throw that fact into the mix with your posting history and let a few algorhytms play around with it and up pops a probability matrix and personality profile linked together with all sorts of "potentials".

As you well know, in this day and age of our war on Terror - "potential" is enough grounds for justifying anything at all.

Once upon a time a man could walk out into the wilderness and live separate from society if he wished, unknown to any and all. Now? Now he's nightly tracked by heat seeking drones or satellites. He is unaware of the fact that his secrets aren't secret.

That's why I have so much pride of being totally nuts. I am all over the map and I honestly pray that somewhere, deep in the bowels of some underground bunker, there is an entire team of behavioralists looking at my data collation and analysis with blank stares and lost expressions.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide
a reply to: nenothtu

See, but now you've stumbled into another facet of the NSA that endlessly invokes my aggression. Simply by saying that you don't use a smart phone, but an old phone tied to an old alias, and that you are off paper - you've given information. By NOT giving any you've given some.

Indeed I have - knowingly, and purposefully. Note to any NSA listeners: think about that for a while. I know you're out there. What did you learn from the phone conversations? Anything important? End transmission.

Actually, I DO use a "smart" phone - but it turned out not to be that smart after all, and I further dumbed it down, which most won't do - too inconvenient for them, and they seem to like being "plugged in" for some reason unfathomable to me.

Throw that fact into the mix with your posting history and let a few algorhytms play around with it and up pops a probability matrix and personality profile linked together with all sorts of "potentials".

It's actually a "known" alias, rather than a "criminal" one (i.e. never having been used for the purpose of avoiding any US cops after heinous actions), which at one time had all manner of paperwork attached to it (since expired, mostly) but hoops will most definitely have to be jumped through to make a connection, and then that connection would have to be double checked... make that triple checked. I won't be specific as to what sort of hoops - wouldn't want to ruin the joy of discovery. It starts getting confusing when one considers that the alias is at this point more "real" than I am (the actual, "born in the USA" I ), from the standpoint of bits and bytes and paperwork. There is a much greater paper trail for that person than there is for this one - but those trails, as most do, lead off into unknown territory - better drop bread crumbs if they go down that network, because there are some dead ends, and there will be some backtracking.

I'm not telling anything here that is Top Secret, so I'm not worried about it.

The phone is not the only place that name will pop up. Some of those places may be... confusing.

As you well know, in this day and age of our war on Terror - "potential" is enough grounds for justifying anything at all.

True enough. Creating more potentials creates more paperwork to follow up on them, too. The Devil lives in the paperwork, and algorithms can be turned to good cause if properly handled.

I believe it was Heinlein who once said something like "live like a rabbit rather than die like a lion". In order to do that, one must study up on how rabbits get by - and more to the point perhaps, how the rabbits who DON'T get by accomplish that feat, to.

Once upon a time a man could walk out into the wilderness and live separate from society if he wished, unknown to any and all. Now? Now he's nightly tracked by heat seeking drones or satellites. He is unaware of the fact that his secrets aren't secret.

Also true, in some cases. What do you suppose they would do with several dozen heat signatures to follow up on? What if none of those were the right one, because the right one wasn't showing up from overhead? makes for a lot of leg work to verify the paperwork to verify not much at all.

Eric Rudolph managed to evade for 5 years like that, and only got "caught" when he wanted to, when he got tired of the game. He had to turn himself in to an unsuspecting deputy to GET caught. I can't condone what he was accused of doing to set the whole thing in motion, but once in motion his execution was nearly flawless. I wonder where he is now, BTW? Anyone hard anything of him since he got "caught"? He seems to have fallen off the national media's radar...

... again.

Of course, if you LET them verify your location, they go back to sleep knowing they "know" where you are... then when they wake back up for the next checkup, it all starts over again. See, it's not a constant monitoring, unless you do something interesting - then they have to hunt you down again, and verify all over again. There's no real reason for them to constantly monitor an old used up fart like me, until you hear something like "dammit Carl!" in the middle of a random phone conversation. That's actually happened a couple times (not those precise words, but you get the drift), but there was no telling which end of the conversations was the one being tracked.

I could tell more, but that might get too specific and spoil someone's joy of discovery,which I'm loathe to do. Boys will be boys - just chalk it up to "paranoia", and my being just a crazy old coot. Maybe I just need some meds to be on. Further note to Ft. Meade: put that in your algorithm and crunch it. End transmission.

That's why I have so much pride of being totally nuts. I am all over the map and I honestly pray that somewhere, deep in the bowels of some underground bunker, there is an entire team of behavioralists looking at my data collation and analysis with blank stares and lost expressions.

Careful there - your inner rabbit is getting loose! Embrace the inner rabbit!

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Planclength
The thing to do is come up with our own new language. That cannot be deciphered.

If two people both have the same book, its a case of page number, line number, and word number, just so long as only those two people know the book's title, known as the 'key'

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:08 AM
link   
The government will do whatever they want if they want to investigate you regardless, before you just didn't know about it. Now you know it's fact everyone jumps up and down. It is illegal, well actually it isn't. The Patriot act and the NDAA took care of that. Guess what nothing will change no matter how you complain. The government does whatever they want to. So whine all you want nothing will change. The government does not care about what you think or what you think your rights are, they will do whatever they want because there is no policing body that can do anything about it. Our system is flawed. There is no one policing the government, not the justice branch, not the executive NO ONE. And guess what your VOTE doesn't even matter because they control the machines. So get used to it. Your screwed! Go NSA! Keep shouting it to the rafters. Eat the red pill and eat the steak and the wine or move somewhere out in the pacific ocean on some uncharted island because the wilderness is the only place your going to be free of government eye until they find you that is.

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 09:16 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 1 2019 @ 03:59 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 1 2019 @ 04:03 PM
link   

(post by OnTopicPost3 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)
(post by RuleAbidingOnTopicPost removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join