It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abortion and Failing a student

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Don't you think that sometimes its alot like the same thing? A persons life could possibly be ruined! The student may have grown up to be a great man in his feild of expertice but becasue he was failed he never will make it. Isnt it a bit unfair for the kids who really do have talent and skill in an area but lack in others. They fail and never get to presue their dreams. Of course sayign its like abortion is a bit radical but its the closest thing I can think of. Some kids never get a chance in life simply becasue the school system is so harsh. I wonder how many great minds have been failed and will never get to go to a good college or such when they get older.

I had to jsut say that somewhere because I am in threat of failing a subject becasue my teacher is literally being verry mean. She justifys here actions through sayign she has been teaching 30 years and that she doesnt care. That you did it to yourself. Ive seen this lady fail kids who were straight A students.

Argh its so unjust!
:bnghd:

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 06:55 PM
link   
It makes me wonder what would have happened if the Vienna college of art had accepted Hitler as a student rather than turning him down. Maybe we'd be speaking of him as a famous artist rather than a genocidal maniac.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 10:57 AM
link   
seems to me that if these "talented" students wouldn't have broken the rules to have gotten suspended, then we wouldn't even be having this discussion...

Kids know right from wrong, however they do not at all times think ahead as to how thier actions will affect thier future.... I get that...

but don't put the blame on the schools and staff.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I was in no way talking about kids geting suspended. I was talking about kids who are gifted in an area like say Art but lack in say math. ANd becasue they can not do good in math they never get to go to a college that offers them the ability to prusue thier art dreams. Or the fact that they have done poorly in math does not allow them to presue their dream of being an artist because their gardes were low.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
but don't put the blame on the schools and staff.

Why not ?

If they are partly responsible for the problem in the first place, I will place the blame where I consider it to be deserved.

For example, a kid doesn't want to go to school. He buggers around and the school suspends him, giving him exactly what he wants in the first place.

Its a joke. No wonder schools are churning out kids without basic skills, as well as teaching them that no matter how they act, they'll effectively get rewarded for it.

And then we have this kind of stupidity:

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - A 10-year-old girl was placed in handcuffs and taken to a police station because she took a pair of scissors to her elementary school.

School district officials said the fourth-grade student did not threaten anyone with the 8-inch shears, but violated a rule that considers scissors to be potential weapons.

Administrators said they were following state law when they called police Thursday, and police said they were following department rules when they handcuffed Porsche Brown and took her away in a patrol wagon.

"My daughter cried and cried," said her mother, Rose Jackson. "She had no idea what she did was wrong. I think that was way too harsh."

Police officers decided the girl hadn't committed a crime and let her go.

However, school officials suspended her for five days. Administrators will decide at a hearing whether she may return to class, or be expelled to a special disciplinary school.

ap.tbo.com...

When I was at school we used scissors to cut paper & card. And (even worse in the PC mind) virtually everyone had a penknife.
We used those to sharpen our pencils. I never saw anyone use one as a weapon - but that was in the 70's - Pre-PC of course.

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 09:42 AM
link   

I was in no way talking about kids geting suspended. I was talking about kids who are gifted in an area like say Art but lack in say math. ANd becasue they can not do good in math they never get to go to a college that offers them the ability to prusue thier art dreams. Or the fact that they have done poorly in math does not allow them to presue their dream of being an artist because their gardes were low.

this happened to me...i was told i was too thick to be a pilot.....but hey guess what ive got a PPL now!.....that stupid so called school careers teachers advice was to get a job as a plumber because any one can do it....what right did he have to blow the wind out of my wings?......if i was him i would have found a way of teaching me the maths i needed to get where i wanted to be........lol...a good teacher is someone who helps you realise your dreams and overcome the tallest mountains!

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Wow Pisky thats horrible that they did that to the kid! I've always wonderd what do people think when they are doing that. Do they realize they are potentially ruining the childs life? Do they realize the mental impact and emotional impact on a child something like that can cause. Sometimes it makes me think people don't realize everyone is a living breathing person with goals ambitons and worries. That is a terrible thing. Its beasue of this attitude i decided against ever being a teacher, besides music, because I would worry too much that I may ruin a kids life if I fail them.

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pisky

Its a joke. No wonder schools are churning out kids without basic skills, as well as teaching them that no matter how they act, they'll effectively get rewarded for it.

There are two main reasons for churning out kids without basic skills, in my opinion.

1) The teacher is not rewarded for success and penalized for failure the way people are in the business world. That's the ultimate reason for vouchers, so kids can avoid the one teacher that they live in fear of, and go get the class somewhere else.

2) We live in a society where it is acceptable to BLAME ANYONE BUT YOURSELF for your own failings. Not every kid fails the class. Hmmm. Why not. If the teacher is focusing on you, MAYBE THERE'S A REASON!

Yes, there are uncaring teachers. In your life ahead, you will have to face a number of people who are stupid/evil, and have power over you. It is just the way the world works. The French, Soviets, and even Kenyans have all tried to kill off their bureacrats, and just ended up replacing them with a new clique of @$$holes. You will always have to learn to deal with the petty bureacrats in this life.

But in the final analysis, if you succeed, it will be because of YOUR OWN DOING. Not because some teacher passed you in spite of yourself, or because someone gave you a bunch of money, or something else you didn't deserve. Fortune favors the brave. That means that if you apply yourself, you eventually overcome all obstacles.

Whether it's Bill Gates, Leonardo Da Vinci, Einstein or Patton, the people who succeed OVERCOME obstacles. Einstein failed some of his classes, too. But he was a genius and perservered.

Either you will master your destiny, or it will master you.

I have the best-paying job of my life, in a huge home, with a loving family. Yes, I lived in a crack-hole of an apartment for a couple of years. I can honestly say, hand to God, that I have dug ditches and shoveled hor$3$h!t for a living.

But I don't live that way now. And why not? I didn't inherit any money. I didn't win a lawsuit, or rob a bank. I went back to school multiple times, I worked extra jobs and extra shifts. I saved, I invested. I did the hard work of making my life a success. I quit blaming other people, quit wasting my life as a stoned whiner, and started building a life in the face of strong opposition. And you can, too.

Only you can make you a failure.

new topics

top topics

join