It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nobody understands me!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   
And it's not their fault. I'm a hard person to read.

I know I'm not the only person like this though. And I joined this site in hopes of finding others who are similar to me. Not the case apparently!

The straw that broke the camels back though seemingly small, was a thread about music that moves you. I happen to be a pretty big rock/metal fan. No I don't worship the devil, no I'm not all gothed out. Quite the opposite actually. I am a successful business owner, mother, giver to society, believer in good energy. I just happen to love music with a lot of substance to it. So I participated in a thread about music that speaks to you and I posted a song that moves me (By and Down, by A Perfect Circle). That song is beautifully orchestrated. Beyond words in my opinion. And some donkey had the nerve to respond to me with a bible verse about light and darkness. Omg. Come on people. THANK YOU for your concern, but my soul doesn't need saving any more than yours. I spent the majority of my life figuring out my beliefs and I have a tight, personal relationship with God that doesn't include other people and their opinions about how I should be living my life. If I mess up, it's between God and myself.
The kicker here was that others "liked" this persons response.
It's just really annoying that people can't open their minds to something different. Different always means bad to some people and that has been an issue for me my entire life.
I've always been different. And everyone has always had a problem with it. I'm half black/half white. Don't fit in into either ethnic group. And don't fit in with others who are half black/half white because we all look different!! And excuse me for saying this, but every mixed person I know has an over sense of entitlement because they believe they are better looking than everyone else. I am even guilty of that thought process.
I've homeschooled my kids. For many reasons, but ultimately it was my decision and I don't need the masses opinions about why it's "bad".
I don't like to drink alcohol. Not socially acceptable apparently.
I like to wear my hair straight. I'm "denying my race". Which race exactly? Because I am not one, complete race.
I have tattoos. I guess I'll forever be trashy and never have a good job. Owning a successful, legitimate business isn't a good job.
I DON'T weigh 200 pounds after 3 kids and take extremely good care of myself. "Eat a burger for once!" "What, are you starving yourself?" I hear all the time.
I don't enjoy talking about the person who double parked outside and ruined your night. Or how you had to wait for 30 minutes at your doctors office so you left them a bad review.
I enjoy talking about music, life experiences that changed you, current events and the BS surrounding our society. But I guess that's wrong and weird.

Well I had more of a point to this rant. But now I'm just tired. I could go on and on and on. Pages. But nobody really cares. Everyone just has their own agendas to push onto people.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Richard Pryor gave Eddie Murphy some advice when bill Cosby berated Eddie for cursing in his stand up act.

Richard: do people laugh?
Eddie: yes..
Richard: do you get paid?
Eddie: yes...
Richard: then tell bill to have a coke and shut the &$@% up!

Your lovely, happy and should just ignore the dips on their pedestals. Happy new year..

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   
When I joined ATS I thought I had found a utopian haven, I was so enthralled by the openminded theads and the questions and the people that seemed to think just like me.

When I joined(the first time years ago) I thought it would be amazing but I was pretty dissapointed.

It turns out that ATS is just as diverse as anywhere else in the world, my opinion was (and still is) questioned, proved wrong and sometimes insulted.

Then I realised that as a reader of ats I only ever read what I wanted to see, when I participated I found out that I'm not always right and that some people think so differently from me it astounds me.

Eventually I learned that my favorite members here were not just the ones that shared my views but also the ones that opposed so greatly to my opinions.

It was those that disagreed with me that gave me food for thought and the need to revaluate my opinion and research my own beliefs to bolster my claims.

The only other thing that I will say is that to become a member all you need is an email and a password, insight, understanding and manners are not needed to join but they are very important if you wish to stay for the journey.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: alishainwonderland

Well, some people are just idiots. Just about anything written by Maynard moves me, that dude is a genius.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   
You've been a member for a whole 3 months. It takes a while to get acclimated to the site, and for the members to get to know you. Easy does it. There are people here from every walk of life, several countries, and many belief systems. You could post "Mary had a little lamb", and someone would tell you why it's evil, and another would defend your "point" in posting it. We are a microcosm of civilization.

Nobody understands you? Welcome to the club. We can all say that to some extent. Maybe you aren't understood. But someone, some where, probably "gets you". That's about the best we can hope for. That somebody "gets us." Hang around awhile. You'll fit right in.

edit on 1/1/2015 by Klassified because: edit

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Welcome to the club. No one really understand me either.
Heck ... none of us really know what goes on inside other people. Not really.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Don't fret, you are all human. I been thinking about this and I came up with a couple analogies.

Reading what others say here is a lot like reading graffiti on a wall. You walk or drive by it and there it is on the wall. It may be insulting or offensive in some way but you know its not directed so much at you… unless you take it personal. Ordinarily, even if you do stop to ponder it, you know the unknown person that sprayed that wall with "F U" in gobs of paint doesn't know you or even really care about you. They are just sharing their problem with the world in general. It is their problem after all. In the real world you just shrug and walk away from the graffiti on the wall. No big deal, right?

Here's another. The internet is a lot like a darkened room where people gather and chat. When you walk in you can't see anyone, just hear their voices. You can wander about and listen in or even add to the conversation of this or that group of people. Some of these people will be "cliquish" and have weird ideas. They all agree with each other and usually are indifferent to outsiders. You can tell when you walk into certain "rooms" almost right away this is not your kind of discussion. You will never "belong" there, it does no good to try to reach them or convince them of anything. They aren't listening.

But together they may try and convince you of your shortcomings according to their beliefs or accepted norms. When you begin to sense that, don't feel 'less than' or puff up to convince them of your POV, just leave your graffiti on the wall next to theres and go find another conversation.

Like water off a ducks back. It takes a while to grow armor to others "stabs in the dark". Most people go through this threshold period after a being here a little while. You are right where you are supped to be.

In the intro forum when people say Welcome to ATS, fasten your safety belt, heres your tin foil hat, this is what they mean.

Welcome to ATS…

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   

It seems you 'd be better off moving forward as you are instead of letting others opinions get the better you. I also share a lot of your frustrations but have decided to just keep my views to myself and the small group of people who know who I really am, and what I really believe. Kudos to you if you choose to stand up and be yourself because there is nothing wrong with who you are, you're a unique human being. In fact I'd venture to say that it's all a matter of perspective, why not concentrate on the good things rather than the negative. it seems you've got quite a few accomplishments to acknowledge.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Relax .. dont let it get to you .. as the bard said .. to thine own self be true ..
Btw .. great song you posted in the thread ..

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Casting our pearls before swine can hurt when they toss them back and call them sandstone.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Hi Alisha. Youre wrong. Some of us DO care. Don't judge us all by the specific thread responses one might get. That's all they are. Some may agree with you, others will belittle you. Some will support, others will detract.

ATS is like that. It's what make it what it is. We have all kinds here. Doctors, students, homemakers, scientists, law enforcement, business owners, young and old, writers, artists, construction workers, computer pros, Masons and musicians....you name. We are all here.

Everyone has an opinion. Think of it this way: Say you get 3 or 4 PAGES of replies, all on the negative side. Against a membership of 300,000 (three hundred THOUSAND) who may not have even read your thread...then those few pages and responses add up to nothing to indicate the overall opinion of your topic.

Now...if ALL 300,000 of us start screamin' "Burn her at the stake! Burn the witch!"....then you'd have an issue. But, the opinion of a min-ute few...do not indicate the final conclusion of the whole.

As far as your threads? Your'e fine. Keep 'em coming...MS

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   

I find a lot of people will attack others here for having a differing opinion on matters than their own, rather than to discuss or debate them.
Its a world filled with people that think everyone should be like them. I on the other hand respect diversity, its what makes us all unique. It would be a truly boring world if we we were all the same.

I sometimes have a hard time being civil with people who have absolutely ludicrous ideas on matters, knowing that they are truly wrong. But attacking someone does nothing but shut down the lines of communication sharing ideas and opinions.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   

If you look at my last 200 or so posts I tend to just jump in a thread...try to leave a funny post then jump out never returning. No matter what you post on here someone will like it and someone will love it. One time a guy berated me for having a typo....and I noticed he had 3 in his...I pointed it out to him and he never replied. The internet is pure "id".....people feel safe behind their computer. And the fact is none of us knows everything but we all have an opinion on something. My favorite part of ats is when someone can convince me to change my mind about something...even if its small. Find the good people...add them as friends and get to know them. It'll make your time here better. And I completely understand where you are coming from ...on here and in in real life.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   

I was told by a mod to "grow a thicker skin" after being marginalized and insulted repeatedly. And then offered a cookie...

I'm not going to tell you that! I understand completely where you are coming from!
edit on 1-1-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   
No-one understands me either. And i don't care because they never will. As long as i understand myself

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I am guessing that with 6000 plus posts you decided to take the advice and toughen up a little?

I have too been offered a cookie although never chose to eat it, was it tasty?

a reply to: olaru12

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   

alishainwonderland, looks like you've fallen down the proverbial rabbit hole that is "ATS". As the original "Alice" learned quickly that Wonderland is a place of conflicts, oxymoron, opposing thoughts and ideas, strange characters and nice people.

ATS is a place where you need to give and take the knowledge that best suits you. Listen, learn, laugh and respond from your heart.

Welcome to ATS, and I love your screen name.

Namaste,
YogaGinns

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   

My take on this, at first reading your rant title I thought "omg! poor thing!! she was in one of the paranormal threads and someone who does free readings totally "didn't get her"!!!!!

btw, wrong card pulls DO happen.

Who knew you meant something deeper?
It's now 2015, imo anyone still worried about your soul due to heavy metal music REALLY needs yanked into the present. Anyone that "stuck" has bigger issues ya know?

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Eventually I learned that my favorite members here were not just the ones that shared my views but also the ones that opposed so greatly to my opinions.

It was those that disagreed with me that gave me food for thought and the need to revaluate my opinion and research my own beliefs to bolster my claims.

What wonderful sentiments. It is actually wonderful for each to express their opposing views so that we may study each idea and we do learn from this...but the only thing that ruins things is when we express personal opinions of each other, clearly this is out of line.
Some people have no substance to their argument but only name calling and hostility to support their position, it is a sad thing really. I think this faction had grown and grown and may actually overtake ATS and become the the majority.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Nobody really understands anyone else. There can be similarities in thought, but all of us interpret those things in our own context and bias.

Best we can do is learn from other perspectives, without making assumptions about what someone might mean. Whether we agree or disagree, there is more diversity between all of us than that approach allows.

As for choice of music somehow determining cosmic consequences based on genre, rather than intent/content.. I have my doubts. ;P

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join