It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Getting To Know Meditation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   
The past year of 2014 I've been educated in many philosophical things such as the Law of Attraction, vibrational energy, meditation and so on. From gaining this knowledge, I've realized that my entire life, I've been subconsciously manifesting my dream. The weird thing is, it has manifested in a way that I wouldn't have guested. For example, the dream I had at a younger stage has manifested but in a different form. It's still present but with a different definition. I don't really want to reveal a huge amount as I like to keep my career and personal life separate.

I've just started meditating. I take 10 minutes+ out of my day to sit in comfort, close my eyes, clear my thoughts and just relax from the stresses of the world. I'd like to know exactly HOW you meditate in a more effective way and how or when you feel the full effect. I understand it takes time to master meditation that's why I seek a little guidance. I'd love to attend classes but where I live doesn't offer such things. I live in the UK but in an area that doesn't feature these sort of things. The UK itself doesn't really have many places for this. I also get a lot of distracting things happening as well when I am meditating, I'll list them.

- Slight twitches all over the body
- Yawning a lot
- Uncomfortable (I've always been extremely aware of physical feeling making it difficult to let go of pressure when lying or sitting even on soft materials)

There are however some other experiences that I think are a GOOD sign to me doing something right. I've researched chakras a lot and their colours. I see a lot of purple patterns after a short while and have frequently seen 1-2 white dots. They're very brief, so much so that I notice them but as soon as I pay attention to them, they disappear. I'd love to hear any suggestions/tips and/or thoughts from people!

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: jonwhite866

I think youre expecting more of it than it is. Colors, twitching, and other reflections are varied or non-existent is some meditators. Those are non-issues in the long run for them, and for some...those are worse.

The very nature of meditation is that it is specific to the individual, their life experiences, their ability to still the body, mind etc.

Reading about it in books and expecting and looking for those specific instances is not practical. Some, yes. Others and the way they develop and manifest...or not...are uniquely yours.

Trying to achieve those things read in books...and looking for them...or ignoring them in fact...is not the same as your mind achieving that which is entirely yours, your mind, its reflections, observations and the ways it assimilates that during the process.

During your searching-learning process, don't make it harder than it is. Even sitting on a bus with eyes closed is a form of meditating...even lying on a couch-eyes closed waiting for a headache to go away...is another.

Learn to be still. Quiet the mind. There are great apps, tapes and such of waterfalls, single tones, rain etc that help you be still and focus. These area all great when learning the process.

Remember: Don't look for the "text-book" description and what to look for. No-one knows what that will be. Only you will...as it is again...uniquely yours.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Thanks for your reply. I like to think of these distractions as things to conquer and I have walked away with a sense of peace a lot. As I am new to meditation I wanted to know more about it and to know each feeling is individual helps a lot in finding the best ways for me so thank you!

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   
In my experience with meditation in the beginning I got pretty much nowhere by myself reading books. I'm educated and read and understand very well but didn't get much out of trying it myself. As soon as I joined a Sanga, a group of Tibetan mediators, everything got much better. After that experience meditating alone at home was better understood and appreciated.

Anyway, as to some questions you asked...
- 10 minutes really is just getting warmed up. At 30 mins I often feel better. At 1 hr I'm zoned out and somewhere else.
- Body twitches and yawning a lot seems to me your experiencing falling into sleep and having to fight that feeling. I don't know when you do your meditation, but you might have to change your time to avoid this.
- Awareness of your physical surroundings is typical when starting meditation...as I'm sure you've read. As you mediate for longer periods you'll start to get past it faster. Remember to calmly and without judgement empty your mind again and focus on your breath. Understand that your mind has spent many years being triggered for immediate response to the physical stimulus it gets. 'Unlearning' that immediate mental reaction takes a long period of time.
- I would step back and not be looking for anything from meditation. Each session can be different. You can suddenly 'go deeper' as well...it's all different for everyone. It's really crazy in this world to say 'don't expect anything' because we are all programmed to analyze, review, and select the best.

It sounds like you want to run before learning to walk. Like you want to astral project yourself after 10 minutes meditating a handful of times. Or you want to meet a guide and converse or more. Just the thoughts I get after reading your post. If I was you I would find a meditation group and avoid any religious aspects and stick to meditation. I would extend my meditation times at each sitting, making sure to avoid times when I was sleepy or there was massive external interference (noises. After getting proficient at relaxing meditation then progress to guided meditation.

Good luck and keep at it! You never know what you'll get everytime you sit!

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: jonwhite866

Drop me a U2U PM anytime you need to...and Ill reply personally there.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: noeltrotsky

I usually time it an hour or so after lunch. At this point I'm wide awake. When I am meditating I'm fully conscious in what I'm doing. It feels like simple muscle spasms but I'm not sure. I've read that it's usually a sign that your muscles are relaxing, as for the yawning, I read earlier today that sometimes the sudden change in your breathing pattern can cause this.

I completely understand that it takes time and I'm very willing to start slow. It's just like working out. I don't want to start doing the wrong thing only to find out I've made no progress haha. But I'll be sure to lengthen my sessions by a few minutes every day and from what mysterioustranger said, I feel as if I am doing something right that suits me. I do feel incredibly relaxed and my mood does increase above average daily happiness. Thank you for the reply, it's good to get a little more knowledge on this stuff!

new topics

top topics

join