It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what year are we actually in?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Everybody knows we use a Roman calender now.. We know how the Romans like to corrupt Things. So are we actually in 2015? I don't think so. The world may never know...

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 03:00 AM
link   
You may wish to do some research on that.

It is 2015 as the Western world reckons time.

It is that simple.

P

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 03:06 AM
link   
we are in the year of greed and stupidity...and for some reason every year just keeps repeating ...a little like ground hog day

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 03:23 AM
link   
In 1582 Pope Gregory XIII ordered the implementation of the Gregorian Calender because Easter was drifting to different parts of the year. He added leap years to the calendar, but in addition to that, he shortened the year 1582 by 10 days.

Some people think that the Church added 300 years to the calendar and made up history for that period of time, but the evidence shows this isn't the case.

I checked, and our current calendar is based on Jesus being born on 1 A.D. - that seems to be an accurate date for the event, but think about it, it is an arbitrary starting point for years to be counted. Some people count the years based on years past creation instead (although I don't think we were created only 6000 years ago).

Source
edit on 01amThu, 01 Jan 2015 03:24:36 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Thu, 1 January 2015 = 10th of Tevet, 5775

The Jewish calender is much older than the one we currently use - not saying that it is accurate but it is much more accurate than the one we currently use. Their current calender goes back to over 5775 years.

The year number on the Jewish calendar represents the number of years since creation, calculated by adding up the ages of people in the Bible back to the time of creation. However, this does not necessarily mean that the universe has existed for only 5700 years as we understand years. Many Orthodox Jews will readily acknowledge that the first six "days" of creation are not necessarily 24-hour days (indeed, a 24-hour day would be meaningless until the creation of the sun on the fourth "day"). For a fascinating (albeit somewhat defensive) article by a nuclear physicist showing how Einstein's Theory of Relativity sheds light on the correspondence between the Torah's age of the universe and the age ascertained by science, see The Age of the Universe.

Background and History The Jewish calendar is based on three astronomical phenomena: the rotation of the Earth about its axis (a day); the revolution of the moon about the Earth (a month); and the revolution of the Earth about the sun (a year). These three phenomena are independent of each other, so there is no direct correlation between them. On average, the moon revolves around the Earth in about 29½ days. The Earth revolves around the sun in about 365¼ days, that is, about 12.4 lunar months. The civil calendar used by most of the world has abandoned any correlation between the moon cycles and the month, arbitrarily setting the length of months to 28, 30 or 31 days. The Jewish calendar, however, coordinates all three of these astronomical phenomena. Months are either 29 or 30 days, corresponding to the 29½-day lunar cycle. Years are either 12 or 13 months, corresponding to the 12.4 month solar cycle. The lunar month on the Jewish calendar begins when the first sliver of moon becomes visible after the dark of the moon. In ancient times, the new months used to be determined by observation. When people observed the new moon, they would notify the Sanhedrin. When the Sanhedrin heard testimony from two independent, reliable eyewitnesses that the new moon occurred on a certain date, they would declare the rosh chodesh (first of the month) and send out messengers to tell people when the month began. The problem with strictly lunar calendars is that there are approximately 12.4 lunar months in every solar year, so a 12-month lunar calendar is about 11 days shorter than a solar year and a 13-month lunar is about 19 longer than a solar year. The months drift around the seasons on such a calendar: on a 12-month lunar calendar, the month of Nissan, which is supposed to occur in the Spring, would occur 11 days earlier in the season each year, eventually occurring in the Winter, the Fall, the Summer, and then the Spring again. On a 13-month lunar calendar, the same thing would happen in the other direction, and faster. To compensate for this drift, the Jewish calendar uses a 12-month lunar calendar with an extra month occasionally added. The month of Nissan occurs 11 days earlier each year for two or three years, and then jumps forward 30 days, balancing out the drift. In ancient times, this month was added by observation: the Sanhedrin observed the conditions of the weather, the crops and the livestock, and if these were not sufficiently advanced to be considered "spring," then the Sanhedrin inserted an additional month into the calendar to make sure that Pesach (Passover) would occur in the spring (it is, after all, referred to in the Torah as Chag he-Aviv, the Festival of Spring!). A year with 13 months is referred to in Hebrew as Shanah Me'uberet (pronounced shah-NAH meh-oo-BEH-reht), literally: a pregnant year. In English, we commonly call it a leap year. The additional month is known as Adar I, Adar Rishon (first Adar) or Adar Alef (the Hebrew letter Alef being the numeral "1" in Hebrew). The extra month is inserted before the regular month of Adar (known in such years as Adar II, Adar Sheini or Adar Beit). Note that Adar II is the "real" Adar, the one in which Purim is celebrated, the one in which yahrzeits for Adar are observed, the one in which a 13-year-old born in Adar becomes a Bar Mitzvah. Adar I is the "extra" Adar.

Is there an accurate calender? No but both the Jewish and Georgian calenders put us in the general time frame of where we are at according to time.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 03:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake
In 1582 Pope Gregory XIII ordered the implementation of the Gregorian Calender because Easter was drifting to different parts of the year. He added leap years to the calendar, but in addition to that, he shortened the year 1582 by 10 days.

Some people think that the Church added 300 years to the calendar and made up history for that period of time, but the evidence shows this isn't the case.

I checked, and our current calendar is based on Jesus being born on 1 A.D. - that seems to be an accurate date for the event, but think about it, it is an arbitrary starting point for years to be counted. Some people count the years based on years past creation instead (although I don't think we were created only 6000 years ago).

Source

You will find some scholars ready to argue that there was two different time periods that man was created and the Jewish calender uses the time table of when man was created the second time around; which was approx 6,000 years ago..... (actually 5775 years ago.)

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Well, why not throw in the Chinese calender as well.

Let the Mayan calender have a look in as well.

P

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Because of the many manipulations in the way we count time, even as recent as Stonehenge, it totally invalidates any calendars we have created and certainly any pseudo-science that deals in present day numerical Hocus-Pocus like numerology based on dates and times and even horoscopes, for that matter. There is no foundation.

All of our counts are based upon analog measurements that have never remained constant, be it Earth, Moon, Planets, Stars, Galaxies... and of course, time itself.. as time is infinitely effected by motion and gravity.

So, What day is it?; what Time is it?; are wonderful questions in which there is no answer.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Mayan long count calendar date now is 13.0.2.1.1
13 Baktun (144,000 days)
0 Katun (7,200 days)
2 Tun (360 days)
1 Uinal (20 days)
1 K'in (1 day)

And in Chinese calendar the date is 11th month, 11th day, year 4712

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 04:45 AM
link   
a reply to: truehumandna

the year is CE 2015 .

this is the true year in the western callender

and the only adjustments made to this date are the officially publisged ones

there is no " secret inclusion " of multiple years

this can be demonstrated by checking key dates against other calenders - most notably chinese , indian , arabic and jewish

using events that are recoreded by multiple civilisations

ergo - no secret manipulation -

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Measuring time is a tool and, for all intents and purposes, an illusion anyway. Time is relative as it can be dilated or expanded.

Given that the Universe is billions of years old, nobody is going to be able to nail down a creation date for it, or our galaxy, or our sun, or our planet, or life, or us... So January 1, 2015 works well enough to communicate the necessary information wanting to date something is based upon.

Given that our most precise method of detecting time lay in monitoring the entropic properties of the Cesium atom ( unless that's changed, at which point somebody will show up and correct me ) is sort of depressing anyway. Time = rate of decay.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Does it really matter if it is 2015 years since the supposed birth of Christ or not?

For one thing, the people who were around 1 year after the supposed birth of Christ didn't reset their years -- i.e., they had no idea that they were living in what we would call the year "1 AD". It wasn't until the year we now call 525 AD that a monk named Dionysius Exiguus decided to restart counting the years at the birth of Christ.

So the people who lived in -- say, for example -- 300 AD or 400 AD did not ever say that they lived in 300 AD or 400 AD. Those years weren't referred in that way until Dionysius decide that they should in 525 AD. However, the lives of those people in 300 AD did not change because someone someday would change the arbitrary method for counting what years they led their lives.

Also, it seems that Dionysius Exiguus made some errors in calculating the historical date of the biblical birth of Christ. He may have been off by as much as 4 years -- meaning that the birth of Jesus Christ as described by the bible actually took place 4 years earlier than he calculated -- in 4 BC on his new calendar. So his "year 1" maybe should have been 4 years earlier.

However whether it's really 2015 AD or 2019 AD is meaningless. By the Byzantine calendar, it is the year 7524, but if I practiced the use of the Byzantine calendar, I wouldn't feel any different thinking that it was 7524 rather than 2015.

edit on 1/1/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 07:46 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: haven123

Yeah -- I've seen that video, but it's wrong.

As ignorant-ape pointed out, all of the other calendars used by other cultures all generally agree on the historical past. Just because this video says "the evidence is overwhelming" that 300 years is missing from the calendar, that does not make it true. The evidence doesn't become "overwhelming" just because someone in a video says it is.

For example, astronomical observations as described in ancient Chinese texts or ancient Arab texts (such as the positions of the planets at certain times in history) are the same as using the Gregorian Calendar. If there was 300 years missing, then their would be 300 year discrepancies in the dating of those astronomical observations -- but there is no discrepancy.

In reality, there is no solid evidence that 300 years is missing, and in fact the when the Gregorian Calendar is compared against the calendars of other cultures (including calendars no longer in use), the evidence tells us the the Gregorian Calendar is pretty much correct.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 08:49 AM
link   
According to the Pope, Jesus Christ was born 6-7 years earlier than previously assumed by a monk who did his research during the middle age:

See here

So to answer the OP's question : we're actually in 2021-2022

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheMasterOne
According to the Pope, Jesus Christ was born 6-7 years earlier than previously assumed by a monk who did his research during the middle age:

See here

So to answer the OP's question : we're actually in 2021-2022

I don't read French that well
, but your link also points out what I was saying -- That it wasn't until a monk named Dionysius Exiguus that we had the AD calendar at all, and this didn't happen until 525 AD (or what would thereafter be known as 525 AD).

People living prior to what we now call 525 AD didn't call their year the same thing we call it today -- i.e., people in what we call 300 AD had no idea we would be saying they lived in 300 AD. If they used any calendar, it was probably the Byzantine calendar, one of the various ancient Islamic calendars, an ancient Chinese, or Indian, or Mayan, etc calendar -- which would have told those people in what we now call 300 AD that they were living in some variously numbered year...

...but there was no calendar that told them it was 300 AD.

By the way, I did say in my post that Dionysius could have been off by 4 years when calculating biblical birth of Christ, and your link say it could have been as much as 6 or 7 years off. If that is true, then I stand corrected.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: haven123

its paranoid claptrap .

your vid claims :

the evidence is overwhelming

then utterly fails to provide any

why is that ???????????????

your vid makes the claim that " somehow " upto 300 years were " inserted " in the 6th ~ 8th centuries CE

but then admits that the legitimate inclusion of 11 days in the 18th century caused riots in the UK

the world has never ben an hemogeny - such an act would have precipitated schisms that could not be " airbrushed from history "

further - the arab [ moslem calender ] calender places mohamed 1444 years ago - as does the weatern calender

dendrochronology - despite the claims in the vid gives us a > 10000 year timeline - that matches key dates in all world callenders

the jewish calender puts the reign of herod , the destruction of the temple , masada , etc at the exact same point in history as the western calender

ice cores and lake varves both cross refference the dendrochronolgy record [ linking geological and climatic events to independant calenders including the chinese ]

and lastly - radiocarbon dating of artefacts from key sites - hadrians wall , masada , pompei , etc etc etc match thier calender timelines

so the " phantom years " is pure bovine excrement

get over it

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: TheMasterOne

actually - we are not - we REALLY are in 2015

because 1 CE is an arbritary date created post facto 530 years after its alledged occurence

IF the year 1 CE had been asssigned " correctly " to match the chronolgy of fairytails - then you would be right

but it wasnt - so you are wrong

1 CE was " pegged " to a point on both the jewish and roman calender 2014 years ago

thus we are now in 2015

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: truehumandna

The more important question aught to be, Why do you want to know and when you find out would you really care?
The calender is mans construct on explaining the time continuum. What name you put on it is quite utterly irrelevant.
Just be happy that your calender coincides with all your friends and countries calenders otherwise you will have a really, really bad life.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Wow. I'm kinda sad to see that this hasn't been answered yet in this thread. I was hoping to find out as well.

While I'm sure there's no completely accurate year I would have thought there would be a number past 6000 on here and certainly other decisions past 2015 since the OP said to ignore the Roman/Gregorian calendar.

What can we consider this year to be disregarding the calendars of man throughout time? Is this the year 200015 or so(human existence)?

Or maybe 4500000015 in earth existence? (15 is for fun).

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join