It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The insanely accident-prone USB port and plugs!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Has anyone wondered why USB plugs of USB cables and charger and sometimes, USB flash drives had to be protruding far out the edge of your laptop computer or smartphone/tablet??

One careless stroke of the arm hitting the plug or the flash drive could break the USB plug, damage the gadget casing, and worse, dislodge the USB port and damage the motherboard electronics of the device!!!!

I've seen a product where the USB port is sunk-in so the USB plug goes all the way in with only the cable dangling outside the device. There's no way you can break the USB plug and port with this design, unless you deliberate yank the cable sideways strongly (which no sane person would do!). I can't remember which product, I think it's a camera. It works...

It's only disadvantage I see is when you need to tighten the contacts when it's starting to get loose and it's going to be less accessible. But with a protected port and not laughably cheaply made port, it should last without tightening for 10 years!!

Another way to do it is to cut the length of the USB plug in half, from around 1cm to just 5mm. It should dramatically reduce chances of accidental strikes.

Sorry for the bickering. Although I don't work as product designer, I am an engineer and I had a few inventions under my belt which I personally use (not patented). Like I know just enough with a thing or two to make something cheaply but last for a very long time. IMO, products of today are **deliberately** designed with weak spots or "Achilles Heel". Apparently well made and well designed products at first glance. But to the trained eye, won't last very long.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Ahh .. but then theyd lose money not being able to sell replacements .. leading to not being able to buy new mercedes .. clothes.. jewelry and condo's for their mistresses .. causing their mistress to dump them .. forcing them to stay home and get nagged to death by frigid .. unappreciative wives ..
and a total collapse of the economy and western civilization ..

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 02:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Expat888
Ahh .. but then theyd lose money not being able to sell replacements .. leading to not being able to buy new mercedes .. clothes.. jewelry and condo's for their mistresses .. causing their mistress to dump them .. forcing them to stay home and get nagged to death by frigid .. unappreciative wives ..

Ahhh....

So this is how money is made... The whole economy and western civilization is built on deliberately dishonest and deceptive schemes...

You should still be thankful. Like you said, without it, there will be no western civilization and we'll be living in trees and caves...

To lift your spirits though, some of NASA's old (but extensive and feasible) colonization plans of near Earth orbit, Moon, Mars and beyond features a highly efficient, highly self sustaining, and highly automated colonies with relatively luxurious living conditions...

...The best part of it is that it doesn't have any economic system. Everything in them is available for free - assuming that the occupants don't get greedy and start keeping things for a cost and all hell breaks loose.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 02:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: johndeere2020

Ahhh....

So this is how money is made... The whole economy and western civilization is built on deliberately dishonest and deceptive schemes...

You should still be thankful. Like you said, without it, there will be no western civilization and we'll be living in trees and caves...

Planned obsolescence

Incandescant light bulb? Hard to come by nowadays...

To lift your spirits though, some of NASA's old (but extensive and feasible) colonization plans of near Earth orbit, Moon, Mars and beyond features a highly efficient, highly self sustaining, and highly automated colonies with relatively luxurious living conditions...

...The best part of it is that it doesn't have any economic system. Everything in them is available for free - assuming that the occupants don't get greedy and start keeping things for a cost and all hell breaks loose.

mot sure what this means...so no comment...

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 03:35 AM
link   
I've had my mini usb charger cable cease working for my galaxy s4 and s2 products. but the remedy is always a new usb charging cable. I've never had anything short of literally dropping a laptop the fourth time or running over something succeed in destroying the motherboard of any of my devices. Granted, I tend to be quite careful and OCD with my things, and my house is very clean and still smells like a brand-new house 10 years after the fact.
lol but either start being more careful with your things or perhaps invest more in higher quality things that resist the wear and tear of time/do your research extensively on phones before deciding on one. know all of the pros and cons and stuff.

If it's within your one or two-year warranty, you can call your service and they'll get you a new one. Or send it back to the manufacturer if it's within the warranty. I think you can also pay the manufacturer to repair things outside of the warranty. If you can't get a new one, I'd think that the latter would be your best bet.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 04:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: [post=18823587]but either start being more careful with your things or perhaps invest more in higher quality things that resist the wear and tear of time/do your research extensively on phones before deciding on one. know all of the pros and cons and stuff.

Stronger materials won't solve the perceived issue I see. If you make the joint stronger, something else will break in accidents.

The problem is in the design. Only one product I've seen so far which does not have this issue are the some Logitech wireless products. The USB receivers of their wireless peripherals only stick out by 5mm. There's very little chance you can knock them out.

I have not seen a single recessed USB port even on the more expensive laptop models. Recessed deep enough to avoid damage to the ports and the motherboard in case of accidents.

I have seen a product with recessed USB port. I just can't remember the model. The recessed port also restricts the motion of the USB Plug which obvious improves the reliability of the connection and extends the life of the USB cable/port.

I have not broken a USB port/cable yet in such accident but I nearly did last night on my new laptop!!! so I made this thread,

edit on 1-1-2015 by johndeere2020 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 04:53 AM
link   
i use a usb hub and keep it behind my laptop, so far i haven't karate chopped any cables...

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Well if protruding USB plugs are designed to purposely be broken they failed when they made my Kingston USB Flash Drive. I had it plugged into the back of my laptop, table was knocked over, the laptop landed right on the USB drive sticking out and all it did was bend the USB plugin part. Laptop & USB Drive were perfectly fine afterwards.

Seems to me they also messed up when they started making wireless mice and keyboards. I've had to replace so many because they fell or were knocked off the table and hung by their cord...

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 05:39 AM
link   
a reply to: johndeere2020 I broke a usb port female side on my desktop. I had to physically go inside the computer and remove the connection from the pc board. So I have only 1 usb connection on the front of my computer now. One of my peeves is how a usb plug becomes loose after a while. But I discovered a way to tighten them back up. Apply a little downward pressure on the plug, using your finger. This will cause the plug to deform just enough to become a tight fit once again.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: johndeere2020

Yep. You and everyone here are not the only ones.
I go through one micro USB cord once a month.
At $10-$20 a cord. That's a lot of revenue to be made.

So a friend offered his assistance in the matter. He works at the local Best Buy...
He gets the employ discount on these such items. He only pays Cost..
Now I buy in bulk at $1.50 per cord.
That's right 1.50 I said.. that's all it cost after it leave the manufacturer.

And yes in my case the female end is ( please pardon the expression ) Loose... the male end once it's bumped. That's all it takes.

And as far as light bulbs go to the poster above me..
You have to buy the "7 YEAR ENERGY SAVING SWIRLS"
Guess what. I have to replace them every 6 month.. They blow out.
That's is costly and the Mercury is bad for the environment!

edit on 1-1-2015 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Thanks. I needed a good laugh this morning.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: johndeere2020
Not since the mid-80's, when I built my first computer, and was told it was only a fad that would die a quick death, have I ever broken a USB port, device, cable, etc. Maybe I live a charmed life. I've just always been mindful that these things are fragile, and I take appropiate caution. Nevertheless, I think the usb, and other external connectors could certainly be improved a lot.

I love Apple's(Mac) "Magsafe" connector. A brilliant idea.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 02:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: HanaDambi
Seems to me they also messed up when they started making wireless mice and keyboards. I've had to replace so many because they fell or were knocked off the table and hung by their cord...

I don't know what you're trying to say here. How did wireless mice got cords??

In my experience, the corded mice lasted a lot longer. The cord saved them from the fall if they got knocked off the table.

So I still use the same corded mice today that I bought last 2009.
edit on 4-1-2015 by johndeere2020 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 02:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ceeker63
a reply to: johndeere2020 I broke a usb port female side on my desktop. I had to physically go inside the computer and remove the connection from the pc board. So I have only 1 usb connection on the front of my computer now. One of my peeves is how a usb plug becomes loose after a while. But I discovered a way to tighten them back up. Apply a little downward pressure on the plug, using your finger. This will cause the plug to deform just enough to become a tight fit once again.

Thanks for your advice. I have always used the back ports of my desktop pc if it's not too inconvenient.

As for loose plugs, I keep it that way unless it actually affects the data transfer. I usually keep my machines for at least 5 years (honestly, I don't give them away due to sentiment). So they have to endure the wear the tear. I worry that a tight plug might accelerate wear. One of my desktop computer, still working is now 12 years old!

top topics

join