It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Fix Society': Transgender Teen Posted Plea Before Suicide

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1

originally posted by: kaylaluv

originally posted by: ItCameFromOuterSpace
The kid would probably still be alive if he had never heard of "transgender".

No, the kid would probably still be alive if no one had ever heard of being "weird" or "different". If someone was always a welcome member of society no matter what they looked like or what they wore or how they acted, as long as they weren't hurting anyone. Then the kid would not only still be alive, the kid would even be happy.

Continuing to perpetuate a belief system in which a person's happiness and actions are the responsibilities of factors out of their control is the cause of the problem, not the solution.

Expecting society to change to make you happy is a losing game.

Owning responsibility for your own happiness, independent of what others say, do, or think, is the solution, not brainwashing people into thinking they need to be treated a certain way to be happy.

^ THIS. Thank you. Again, I wish this had not happened and I feel terrible that he was so sad. But it is not my job or your job or anyone else's job to make you happy in your own beliefs or your own skin. That is on you.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   
If a hyper-active mind and affinity for solitude are enough to label a person with a 'disorder,' then gender confusion is most certainly a mental illness.

Suicide is always tragic. Often the most upsetting thing about a person's choice to end his/her own life is how senseless and unnecessary the act is.

Life is tough. Sometimes we can't see the beauty past all the ugly, and sometimes we can't see the beauty because we focus on the ugly.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mousygretchen
HOWEVER, me being is the American south means that I have to feel persecuted sometimes just for walking out my front door.

How others treat you is their choice.

How you feel about it is your choice.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: jaffo

originally posted by: Jamie1

originally posted by: ItCameFromOuterSpace
The kid would probably still be alive if he had never heard of "transgender".

No, the kid would probably still be alive if no one had ever heard of being "weird" or "different". If someone was always a welcome member of society no matter what they looked like or what they wore or how they acted, as long as they weren't hurting anyone. Then the kid would not only still be alive, the kid would even be happy.

Continuing to perpetuate a belief system in which a person's happiness and actions are the responsibilities of factors out of their control is the cause of the problem, not the solution.

Expecting society to change to make you happy is a losing game.

Owning responsibility for your own happiness, independent of what others say, do, or think, is the solution, not brainwashing people into thinking they need to be treated a certain way to be happy.

^ THIS. Thank you. Again, I wish this had not happened and I feel terrible that he was so sad. But it is not my job or your job or anyone else's job to make you happy in your own beliefs or your own skin. That is on you.

Yes, and I'd also like to add that being generously compassionate and loving towards others, while not required or in any way obligated, would raise the quality of life for all involved.

Compassion does not mean changing because somebody demands you change, or demanding that somebody else change.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Prezbo369

originally posted by: Entreri06
That would be a mental illness then, not one that is fixable so no need to try or ostrisize them. But still would be a mental disorder being that you got a brain that didn't go with your body...

If we were to describe transgender people as having a mental disorder or illness then we'd be stigmatizing them with that label which would lead to prejudiced discrimination as well as ostracization.

There's more wrong with society than there is with them IMO.

Only high school bullies ostracize people with autism, it should be the same with them.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Jamie1

Compassion in this case means having the patience and understanding to explain the truth to your child any way you can, as many times as it takes.

Sounds like these parents tried their best. I can only imagine how hurt and powerless this must have made them feel. These don't seem like the kind of people to blame others for something like this...

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Parthin
They're not quite the same, but in a social context, they are. I guess it just comes down to liking the equipment you were born with, or not. From what I've seen, being gay is a better adjustment than undergoing a radical transformation. a reply to: Annee

No, gay and transgender are not the same.

Gay and cross dresser are not the same either.

Gay men are men with a sexual orientation attraction to other men. Most gay men are not the stereotype.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: OpenMindedRealist

Compassion in this case means having the patience and understanding to explain the truth to your child any way you can, as many times as it takes.

Sounds like these parents tried their best. I can only imagine how hurt and powerless this must have made them feel. These don't seem like the kind of people to blame others for something like this...

Not to mention the giant "F U" selfishness of pretty much throwing them to the wolves in the public eye after you kill yourself. That;s just wrong on so many levels. YOUR beliefs are completely invincible to attack to the point where you end your life over them, but how dare they have THEIR own beliefs? Sorry, but that was just plain childish and vindictive. It sounds like they tried their best to help him with something they just completely were never ever going to understand. This was a very confused young man. Hopefully if he is anywhere at all now he is at peace.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   

What exactly is the "problem?"

Folk (such as yourself) thinking this is their problem, thinking this is putting them out somehow and making them the victims....amongst other such ignorance.

That most people don't think it makes much sense for them to have to adjust their entire Worldview to suit one individual?

Your worldview?........please explain how perhaps referring to a person as 'she' rather than 'he' is having to 'adjust your entire Worldview'?......besides.....are you aware that there are a great many such people in the world?

You know what? I have always felt that I should have been born a tiger. I know I don't look like a tiger and that my genes are not tiger genes, but I just feel like I should have been born a tiger. Call me Mrs. Tiger from now on. Oh, and I am a lady tiger, even though I have a penis. Because again, my feelings. Because inside, I'm a tiger. You don't get to say otherwise either. Yeah, sounds pretty stupid, doesn't it?

Yes very facetious....(and another example of the problems I mentioned)...but it doesn't apply as Tigers are not human.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Telling society that it's okay to be mean and cruel to others is not the answer either.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Telling society that it's okay to be mean and cruel to others is not the answer either.

I have stated repeatedly that it is not ok to be mean and cruel. That is a separate issue.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   

I have stated repeatedly that it is not ok to be mean and cruel. That is a separate issue.

And yet, you don't want to have to "bend over backwards" to be kind and compassionate to someone who is "different".

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

You didn't answer any of my questions. Neither did your link. In fact, your link just proves that being 'transgender' is nothing more than a personal belief formed and influenced by society.

And if one were to go so far as to believe they are physically stuck in the wrong body, it is nothing short of a mental illness. I would argue it is a psychosis.

Your link states that sex and gender are two different things. It states that sex is determined by your body, and gender is determined by how you behave:

The determination of a person's sex depends on various physical characteristics, including chromosomes, reproductive anatomy and sex hormones.

Gender, on the other hand, deals with the behaviors, roles and activities typically associated with the different sexes.

I must highlight the part that says; "typically associated with the different sexes". This part is key to understanding this 'transgender' nonsense.

Society is whats forms the association between behaviors and sexes. For (silly) example, society suggests playing with dolls and makeup is 'typically' what females do, and playing in the dirt and playing sports is 'typically' what males do. These made up behaviors, roles, and activities and their made up associations with sexes are what are used to determine 'gender' according to your link (and of course the LGBT community).

These make-believe 'genders' created by society are what cause most people to believe they are 'transgender', and jump in front of moving trucks. Simply because their sex is a male, but their behavior is typically associated with females, they are brainwashed to believe they are transgender. God forbid sexes enjoy and or take part in similar behaviors and or activities!

If society didn't form these silly 'gender' associations, this completely fabricated notion of 'transgender' wouldn't exist. But, because it now exists, and it is being pushed by certain groups with an agenda onto immature young adults and children who don't know any better, we have cases where mentally dysfunctional teens believe they are transgender to the point where they even believe they are stuck in the wrong physical body, and they kill themselves.

Yes, our physical brain, and chemical reactions within, form our behaviors, interests, likes and dislikes. It is also what forms mental illness. Yes, our physical brains can cause us to be more or less feminine or masculine too. But it is society that pushes nonsense agendas and brainwashes children into believing they are transgender simply because their behaviors are not typical.

To believe you are female stuck in a male body is simply a psychosis.

edit on 2-1-2015 by WeAre0ne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Folk (such as yourself) thinking this is their problem, thinking this is putting them out somehow and making them the victims....amongst other such ignorance.

That most people don't think it makes much sense for them to have to adjust their entire Worldview to suit one individual?

Your worldview?........please explain how perhaps referring to a person as 'she' rather than 'he' is having to 'adjust your entire Worldview'?......besides.....are you aware that there are a great many such people in the world?

You know what? I have always felt that I should have been born a tiger. I know I don't look like a tiger and that my genes are not tiger genes, but I just feel like I should have been born a tiger. Call me Mrs. Tiger from now on. Oh, and I am a lady tiger, even though I have a penis. Because again, my feelings. Because inside, I'm a tiger. You don't get to say otherwise either. Yeah, sounds pretty stupid, doesn't it?

Yes very facetious....(and another example of the problems I mentioned)...but it doesn't apply as Tigers are not human.

Oh but the victim here MADE IT my problem. The victim BLAMED ME and EVERYONE ELSE for his decisions and unhappiness. So yeah, I AM BEING TOLD that it is "my problem" when it very clearly IS NOT my problem. And how exactly am I supposed to know what pronoun to use for someone if I cannot go by their gender? Should I start referring to all other people as "it" so that I do not (gasp!) accidentally offend someone? Really?! And you're right, a tiger is not a human. And neither is a woman a man or vice versa. That's the reality of it.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   

And yet, you don't want to have to "bend over backwards" to be kind and compassionate to someone who is "different".

Baloney. Being kind is easy. Pretending you are a man when you are a woman or vice versa requires me to change my thoughts and behavior just so you feel better about yourself. Sorry, I am bound and obligated to not be cruel to you or to demean you. I am not at all bound to indulge your fantasies as to your "true gender."

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Oh but the victim here MADE IT my problem. The victim BLAMED ME and EVERYONE ELSE for his decisions and unhappiness. So yeah, I AM BEING TOLD that it is "my problem" when it very clearly IS NOT my problem. And how exactly am I supposed to know what pronoun to use for someone if I cannot go by their gender? Should I start referring to all other people as "it" so that I do not (gasp!) accidentally offend someone? Really?! And you're right, a tiger is not a human. And neither is a woman a man or vice versa. That's the reality of it.

Seems to me, you are making the choice to accept the role of victim.

I choose not to make that choice. I do not feel or choose to be responsible for any of it.

But, I have and am raising a teenager.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Baloney. Being kind is easy. Pretending you are a man when you are a woman or vice versa requires me to change my thoughts and behavior just so you feel better about yourself. Sorry, I am bound and obligated to not be cruel to you or to demean you. I am not at all bound to indulge your fantasies as to your "true gender."

But telling someone who genuinely feels like a different gender that it's just a fantasy is hurtful to them. You are basically calling them crazy. You don't think that would hurt someone's feelings to be called crazy? That is demeaning to them.

No one is asking you to marry a transgender, or to be best friends with a transgender. But if a person walks up to you on the street to ask directions, and they look suspiciously like a transgender to you - what are you going to do? Refuse to help them and call them crazy? Or will you smile and offer assistance without saying anything about their gender?

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Oh but the victim here MADE IT my problem. The victim BLAMED ME and EVERYONE ELSE for his decisions and unhappiness. So yeah, I AM BEING TOLD that it is "my problem" when it very clearly IS NOT my problem.

Yep that's you playing the victim card (again) and acting asthough this whole issue is about you, when it's not.

And how exactly am I supposed to know what pronoun to use for someone if I cannot go by their gender?

If you want to speak to said person, well we as humans have the ability to communicate verbally, so you could just ask........wtf?

Should I start referring to all other people as "it" so that I do not (gasp!) accidentally offend someone? Really?! And you're right, a tiger is not a human. And neither is a woman a man or vice versa. That's the reality of it.

Again it's not about you, you're not the center of the universe and so you really don't have to do anything. If you want to refer to transgender people as 'it' then that's your right, everyone has the right to act like a ****.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Oh but the victim here MADE IT my problem. The victim BLAMED ME and EVERYONE ELSE for his decisions and unhappiness. So yeah, I AM BEING TOLD that it is "my problem" when it very clearly IS NOT my problem.

Yep that's you playing the victim card (again) and acting asthough this whole issue is about you, when it's not.

And how exactly am I supposed to know what pronoun to use for someone if I cannot go by their gender?

If you want to speak to said person, well we as humans have the ability to communicate verbally, so you could just ask........wtf?

Should I start referring to all other people as "it" so that I do not (gasp!) accidentally offend someone? Really?! And you're right, a tiger is not a human. And neither is a woman a man or vice versa. That's the reality of it.

Again it's not about you, you're not the center of the universe and so you really don't have to do anything. If you want to refer to transgender people as 'it' then that's your right, everyone has the right to act like a ****.

Sorry, but you are dodging any and all logic here. I am not the problem. Spin it how you want, but the suicide note very clearly put the burden on everyone else to change their lives because of one unhappy child. No, I am not going to ask everyone I meet..."Hey, should I call you him or her or what?" That's just stupid and I am not going to indulge that level of idiocy.
edit on 2-1-2015 by jaffo because: Spelling error.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

How can someone "feel" like a different gender without influence from society?

Can you explain in words how a female feels, or how a male feels?

How can someone born male ever know how a female feels?

How can someone born female ever know how a male feels?

How can one sex ever truly know how it feels to be the opposite sex?? They can't... It's all in the mind. It's their beliefs based on what society made them feel.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join