It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rapidly Warming Oceans Set to Release Heat Into the Atmosphere

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Hi, first post here.

plant loads of trees.
I reckon that would actually help a lot.
We need lots of trees.

I wouldnt be surprised if the one thing we have changed physically more about this planet, is the amount of plant life.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: billytron
Whomever out there is so convinced that Climate Change is so bad, that we are in such danger, it is now too late, and if they live on a Coastline, then move to a safer place. Prepare. Keep yourself and loved ones safe. It is your responsibility. Until the individual Climate Change believer does this, they are being irresponsible.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Colbomoose
You joke about something that is going to decimate the planet. Read the IPCC report and your smug foolish attitude would change.
a reply to: theMediator

The IPCC report? You mean that fraudulent science chocolate coated turd?

We have been performing a side-study in Lake Ontario for 24 years (since 1990) that requires at-depth temperature measurement and data collection. Lake Ontario provides an excellent model due to its size and that it is an average holomictic lake with reasonable centre currents and mixing effects. Every year our 32 probes, monitoring at 10' from the lake floor, dropped in temperature by an average of between 0.11 and 0.14 degrees C (lower than the previous year) based on 86,400 samples per day per probe or roughly 31.5 million samples per year per probe. Now this has been consistent for the last 24 years and was funded by Canadian government research institutes and universities. The trend indicates an elongated cooling cycle, NOT A WARMING CYCLE.

It indicates that we are moving towards another (mini) Ice Age, or global cooling NOT global warming. We've seen the same effect in two meromictic lakes as well, that were tested in eastern ontario, not as dramatic as 0.11 to 0.14, but we still see a drop in average temperature of 0.07 to 0.09 degrees C. Now this could be happening for one of two reasons; 1. Global Warming (anthropogenic or natural) is a myth created to obfuscate the true nature of the climate problem or ; 2. The earth is expanding and the crust is "cooling", thermal transfer from core/magma to crust is decreasing. Now a third possibility has been offered by another physicist in our group, but so far we haven't been able to prove his hypothesis (it requires a great deal of funding), that being that due to the decrease in solar active and the possible decrease in the emission of neutrinos, the interaction (potential kinetic transfer) occurring in the giant MRI we call the "core" has decreased consistently causing the thermal transfer rate to the crust to decrease.

So, there you have it, choose your poison. Now wasn't that load of BS really easy to type? Believe the IPCC if you choose but it isn't real hard to make up a story and in their case flog the hell out of it.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 1/3.2015 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

originally posted by: JoeSignal
I think they were flown in to help sell the arguments.

Okay 7 billion then, it really doesn't matter if you replaced the number with “a lot” or “too many” though because the point remains. Leave it to those in denial to find an unimportant incorrect number to invalidate the rest of whats written, that is a symptom of being in denial after all.

Funny how those that believe in GW want those that don't believe in it to listen up! ?

Since you don't believe in GW, maybe you can explain for the rest of us the process of ocean acidification? Even though its been proven to be from the oceans sinking excessive CO2, but hey... That can't be since none of this is really happening anyway, right?

If you doubt the reality of CO2 and Climate Change, you need really look no further then the acidification of the oceans. The Amazon, and the Oceans have been the sink into which all the CO2 has been historically filtered, and breathed back out as oxygen, by the plankton and plant life. That's all dying, and if it does, so do we.

Don't worry about the disappearing Bees, worry about the plankton.

Why don't they just fix it? And maybe try not to bother us that don't believe while doing it?

The people who are in denial are the majority of folks in the world ATM. Those who don't want to be be inconvenienced with the fact that their lifestyle might have to alter some to accommodate the overall health of the planet. Of course a group that is looking to have facts presented to them that agree with their lifestyle choices are willing to listen to the preachers of the Oil and Auto industry to hear sermons that “scratch their itching ears”, and tell them their choices aren't harming anything. The same “preachers” who straight out have lied to your faces by doing things like swapping “land ice” and “ocean ice” calculations to the press.

Then you have the entire area of China and India that is modernizing, and with it you have folks that want their slice of the “American Dream”, to own cars and other modern amenities that us in the west have had for years. Its pretty hard to deny that to them, after we've been hypocritically abusing the system for at least the last 100 years, but it will be the finial nail in the coffin for the climate.

Yep, they aren't hurting the climate any, huh?

Yeah, that's smog, the visible component of burning fossil fuels, unfortunately the CO2 is invisible, but can you imagine how much of it is being produced to create that level of smog? And of course who is behind this? We all are to blame somewhat for buying cheap products that are manufactured in China, and for allowing corporations to manipulate our law makers. Allowing them to go to places with no government oversight, where they can abuse the system for their own financial gain. When you hear them screaming about “less government intrusion into business”, well... This is what less intrusion actually looks like.

Oh, that's right, there's nothing to fix. So why keep bothering people?

The only way its going to be fixed, barring some major advancement in science, is to change peoples lifestyles. Of course that isn't likely going to happen, but with some common sense we could maybe slow it some. The preachers of corporate greed; however, want you to consume, consume, consume, to drive these forces of pollution and destruction, and they want less and less government oversight as that hurts their bottom line. When you listen to these experts who say this isn't happening remember their corporate bosses are the ones you're actually listening too, and they have LOTS of marketing money to spend twisting the message to their advantage. Hiring their own supposed “experts” to twist data, and carry their message slanted just so it makes you believe that there is nothing wrong with your consumerism. Something that real scientists cannot compete with, and sometimes have to bow too for fear of losing their grant money or even their jobs.

The only viable way ATM to at least slow the process is to go heavily into clean modern nuclear power, electric vehicles, and get as much off fossil fuels as possible. Our fossil fuel powered electric system is one of the biggest contributors to the problem that exists, and the only viable power source that can replace it is nuclear. Unfortunately that is not cheap, and it really isn't a massage that the fossil fuel industry wants out there. That is why they have fought, lied, and lobbied against nuclear power going back 40 or 50 years.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: billytron
plant loads of trees.
I reckon that would actually help a lot.
We need lots of trees.

Trees are great, but unfortunately they are a very small drop in the bucket compared to the Ocean Plankton.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook
We can't live like we do everyday as a global civilization and expect that there will be no effect on the world around us, whether micro on scale or global.
The great global ignorance that infects every corner of our globe is the fact that each individual person alive believes that they have such little impact on the surrounding environment and it's inhabitants (both flora and fauna) that they see no need to change the way they live. The trouble is that as a global collective our small impacts amount to global catastrophe. Be it pollution, mass extinction of both plants and animals, or destruction of ecosystems, we are all responsible in some part to the degradation of our planet.
We are capable of such incredible genius, yet let ourselves down with pettiness and selfish desires.
The earth is not something to be bought and traded, she is a living breathing organism that gave us life and should be respected and adored.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: defcon5

You think C02 matches the amount of poisons dumped into the oceans ?

I really question why this is always left out of these particular arguments.

And another question, how do we get the richest people on earth who control the militaries to change a dam thing.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: ParasuvO
a reply to: defcon5
You think C02 matches the amount of poisons dumped into the oceans ?
I really question why this is always left out of these particular arguments.

Pollution in general isn't good, but that's not really the topic here. The CO2 that's increasing the acid levels in the oceans is causing problems with the plankton and other marine calcifying creatures. Where pollution is more of a local problem from area to area, the CO2 problem is covering the entire oceans.

originally posted by: ParasuvO
And another question, how do we get the richest people on earth who control the militaries to change a dam thing.

Maybe they do try in their twisted little way to change things. Look at the fluctuations in the gas prices. That could very well be the upper echelons trying to force us off the use of gas, but they didn't realize to what extent that it would also crash our economic system.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   
It would probably differ depending on were your at even if there was a mass global warming or cooling. Were I am at, well so far we had a bit of snow, but it was gone in a day. In fact it does seem like each and every winter is getting more mild around here at least, last winter we had more snow and the winter before that as well. But that depends as well, because if you go towards to mountains, which is really 2 hour car ride you would have plenty of snow this time of the year, and if you go southwest its bound to be if not hot weather but at least way different then the area I am at.

In all the last time I remember were there was any snow in any significant amount was more then 18 years ago when I was a kid, I mean you could go out and it would be at least up to your knees and lasted for a good week, and so far for the past years it lasts at most 5 days and its mostly slush in a day or two.

So really even if this is happening, its likely to effect different areas of the globe differently, besides a rapid heating of the atmosphere is I think usually followed by a drastic cooling of the atmosphere, sometimes little ice ages and such ensue. But we shall see, though probably not in our lifetimes, these things do not change at the drop of a hat like you see in the movies, usually.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: galadofwarthethird
You are absolutely correct.
If you go study what the actual theory is, though the overall trend is warming, it will actually get colder in some areas, warmer in others, precipitation patterns will shift, etc. For example, as I mentioned above, the Gulf Stream is what keep the winters mild along the West Coast of Europe and the East Coast of North America. If the Gulf Stream stops or slows, the winters there will become more harsh. Again, as the Gulf Stream slows you can expect to see vast increases in sea ice at times, then others the sea ice totally be melted. Exactly what we are starting to see happen.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 11:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook
According to an article in Scientific American, The Ocean is warming; rapidly. Even more rapid than scientists knew before. Apparently, for every 10 joules of energy produced by greenhouse gasses, 9 joules are absorbed into the ocean; thus we have the warming.

What scientists discovered in 2014 is that since the turn of the century, oceans have been absorbing more of global warming’s heat and energy than would normally be expected, helping to slow rates of warming on land. What they will be talking about in 2015, and beyond, is when that trend might come to an end—likely following a routine shift in Pacific Ocean trade winds. Much of that extra sunken heat will eventually be belched back into the atmosphere by the overheating seas. The effects of ocean warming might be imperceptible to most of us, but they are far-reaching. They are driving fishing fleets further out to sea, ushering tropical fish into polar waters, and worsening flood hazards for coastal communities.

The article doesn't give any specific timeframe for when the heat from the Oceans will get to the atmosphere, it only says that eventually, the absorbed heat will be "belched" into the atmosphere. Oh well, it's coming Soon, I suppose. What says ATS?

www.scientificamerican.com...
\\

Yeah Right, and i suppose the hole in the earth's shield has nothing to do with this right ? The fact that it points down into the ocean right now and warming the water.One has to ask one self, How did this big hole get there in the first place. What caused this. What effects will happen when the ice caps melts. Methane under the ice is already going into our atmosphere helping in the global warming effects. What do you think will happen ? I know, the heat will cause a global famine and all hell will break loose when the hoard does not have enough food to eat. Same happens when you run out of oil and gas. No gas to haul food around no food everyone goes bizzerk.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I think global warming is real and is happening and human greenhouse gas emissions are causing it. But I also think some of the more extreme global warming doomsdayers exaggerate the effects greatly.
We've known about global warming and the greenhouse effect for decades but so far the world as a whole hasn't been able to significantly reduce greenhouse emissions, in fact they keep increasing each year.
This is a very gradual and slow process which will take decades to fully notice the effects of. I think we have time, decades in fact, to address the issue and reducing greenhouse emissions may not be the answer, as our civilization is so hopelessly addicted to fossil fuels. Climate engineering, releasing tiny particles in the air to simulate the effects of volcanic eruptions, which cools the atmosphere, may end up being a viable alternative.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: JimTSpock

The big hole in the earth's shield is drastically heating the ocean. The ocean then heats the land masses around it and things start to die in the oceans due to rise in temperature. Earth's atmosphere then warms up and the poles melt. The permafrost melts and all the methane gas goes into the atmosphere heating up the atmosphere even more. People pumping more CO2 in the atmosphere only adds to the problem but is not the main problem. The ocean heating up and the methane gas is a huge problem. Methane gas is more times powerful than CO2. The ozone layer or planet earth's shield is open. a huge hole that is right now heating the ocean and is well known for several years now. I'm sure they have calculated how long it will take before earths atmosphere gets to a point of no return. The cause of this open sheild is yet to be heard of what caused it. They know and tell you on weather stations that the weather will be only getting worse. Lots of things have changed. Europes weather patterns, austrailia, USA, Poles melting and effects to all other countries, weather patterns changing, strange NEW cloud formations, Floods, Ocean water changes,air jet stream changes and so on and on. I would like to know if this hole in the earth's sheild will get better. What caused it, will it happen again and does the sun have something to do with this which is now starting to act funny. What is going on in space that is causing these effects.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 12:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: JimTSpock
I think global warming is real and is happening and human greenhouse gas emissions are causing it. But I also think some of the more extreme global warming doomsdayers exaggerate the effects greatly.
We've known about global warming and the greenhouse effect for decades but so far the world as a whole hasn't been able to significantly reduce greenhouse emissions, in fact they keep increasing each year.
This is a very gradual and slow process which will take decades to fully notice the effects of. I think we have time, decades in fact, to address the issue and reducing greenhouse emissions may not be the answer, as our civilization is so hopelessly addicted to fossil fuels. Climate engineering, releasing tiny particles in the air to simulate the effects of volcanic eruptions, which cools the atmosphere, may end up being a viable alternative.

It... might not be as gradual as we might hope:
Salt-Water Fish Extinction Seen By 2048

The apocalypse has a new date: 2048.

That's when the world's oceans will be empty of fish, predicts an international team of ecologists and economists. The cause: the disappearance of species due to overfishing, pollution, habitat loss, and climate change.

The study by Boris Worm, PhD, of Dalhousie University in Halifax, Nova Scotia, -- with colleagues in the U.K., U.S., Sweden, and Panama -- was an effort to understand what this loss of ocean species might mean to the world.

The researchers analyzed several different kinds of data. Even to these ecology-minded scientists, the results were an unpleasant surprise.

A doomsday prediction with a date, even... gonna be awhile, yet. It ain't looking good, though.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Looks like we are all gonna FRY. Then the earth will cool down and another ice age , then the planet will warm up and plantlife seeds that survived will start to grow and populate. Humans.................................? Mammals, i doubt would make it without the help of humans, We are going thru another cycle in the Evolution of mankind. A couple thousand years of hell..commin. Mother nature shakin off the fleas on her back to grow again. To grow a forest of green again. where man lives in the jungle way up high in the trees. he,he,he

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 01:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Greven

We buy farm raised fish and shrimp.

I really wish people would stop saying "we".

So why hasn't a carbon pollution free vehicle came out, that costs around $3,000 to replace my 02 malibu? Because that is all I really care to spend on a vehicle. If it saves the environment, I might be able to sell a kidney and come up with $5,000 for one.

Quit saying we damnit, seriously, why the hell does it have to cost us poor S.O.B's money to help save the planet?

Blame me, I really don't give a damn anymore.

I'm gonna start putting more of what little resources I have into prepping because I honestly believe that just maybe some cockamamie BS climate freak plan will bring on even more suffering to us working stiffs.

Who is gonna care about the environment when we are all starving and burning tires to stay warm because we cannot afford food or heat?

Hell, in some twisted friggin way, I wish something would happen already. I'm getting sick of the same old study after study, year after year, saying were doomed.

Were not doomed yet, we are still here.

And we are still getting blamed for the crap.

edit on 4-1-2015 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 01:19 AM
link   
The oceans are always giving back heat to the atmosphere somewhere, like in the North Atlantic now. They are alwasy taking it from somewhere, like the equator. There is no point in time when the oceans stop taking and start giving, it is a geographical point (actually lots and lots of points, all mixed up, some above a line and some below it and some above others). So we are talking about climate change in those areas. If climate scientists hadn't taken that in to account already then they are a bunch of horses' .... So all they are saying is that where and when and how much this is going to happen is uncertain, which is nothing new.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 01:41 AM
link   

That's not the way it works man. Heat and cold are not 2 different types of energy that can be stored one against another, as a matter of fact, cold is a concept that we humans use to describe a lack of heat but in a scientific sense "cold" is not a thing. Heat is a measure of the kinetic movement (or vibration) of particles within a substance and the laws of thermodynamics and entropy states that high energy systems diffuse into lower energy systems thereby attaining a natural balance of heat within a system. To say that the worlds oceans are storing heat that will be transferred to the atmosphere is wrong on many different levels. First and foremost of these would be the specific heat capacity of water which is very high. This is why when you go to the beach (on an ocean) the water temperature is never even close to the air temperature. And as you go deeper into the ocean that temperature decreases even further. If the worlds oceans were to somehow release heat into the atmosphere then the oceanic temperatures would drop by that same amount, and yet again, the laws of thermodynamics would suck that heat from the atmosphere to warm the oceans. It's an impossible scenario. You may be referring to warming oceanic temperatures reaching the sublimation temperature of methane hydrate which would cause the release of massive amounts of methane into the atmosphere which would cause all sorts of problems but even if that is what you are referring to then there are far more variables to consider than simply temperature. Most notably the pressure of the abyssal plain, which is thousands of times what it is here, and that pressure also adds to the solidus of methane hydrate.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Let's put on our thinking caps and think this through. Heat from the atmosphere transfers to the oceans at an effective rate? (90% of it according to your source). Go fill your bathtub with cool water and blow your blow dryer over it How long does it take to heat the tub? (Note: do not get in the tub with the blow dryer)

If you can get the water heated with your blow dryer (boy you are patient) is it heated more than a couple of inches deep? Is it hotter at the top than at the bottom?

Thermodynamics don't allow for such a thing to happen. See, the average temperature of atmosphere at sea level is 15C the average temperature of ocean water on the surface layer is 17C. The reason the water is warmer than the atmosphere is because of the sun and the way that water absorbs radiation vs the way gasses absorb radiation. The ocean can't heat much more than the atmosphere, they have a linear relationship.

But go on, believe in global warming, your faith is appreciated. SCIENCE!

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   

F&S&
....and what's the impact on the The Global Conveyor Belt?

fyi - I'm in Winnipeg - where we have a "Deep Freeze" weather warning. Granted, this is Winterpeg, but seems like the whole world is dealing with some seriously disrupted weather patterns.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join