It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy New year for Goldman fat cats!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
a reply to: Jamie1

Bless their hearts. And when they lose it all and cause global financial crashes, it is the people who DON't work for them that bail their whining butts out.

But for every loss there's a winner.

Who is sifting off the real money?

It can't be just disappearing into thin air can it?

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

originally posted by: MOMof3

Bless their hearts. And when they lose it all and cause global financial crashes, it is the people who DON't work for them that bail their whining butts out.

But for every loss there's a winner.

Who is sifting off the real money?

It can't be just disappearing into thin air can it?

That's not true. Financial transactions are often win-win. A bank loans money to a company that develops technology like computers. You did nothing to develop the technology, but you get the benefit of using it.

The company sells the technology for a profit. The banks make money from their investments.

Win-win-win.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1

What specifically are the banks colluding on? Keeping interest rates at near historical lows? Pumping billions of dollars into the economy that funds start-ups?

So they donated relative pennies to campaigns. The two campaigns spent over $2 billion, and Goldman Sachs and the other investment banks contributed less than 1%.

It may be pennies on the dollar to you, but those pennies add up to millions of dollars that politicians love to gobble up.
I will not do your homework for you, but a simple google on your part will do it. If you are really interested, I can fill up around 100 pages for starters.

So you will have no problem in joining me in banning money backed lobbying since it will not matter?
Are you for Free and Fair Competitive Markets where everyone stands on their own two feet?

Do you have any concrete examples of how you've been screwed over by the banks? Or do you just blah blah blah old anti-bank rhetoric supported by no facts?

Who said I was screwed over by the banks?

We are told that we are responsible for the government we get and the policies that they pass. The policies politicians have been passing from "Free Trade" to QE, to Trillion Dollars Bail Outs have all benefited top their top donors and have done nothing for the common American. Their top donors not surprisingly exist among the top Wall Street Banks.

Do you think Citizens should be responsible for the government they get?

edit on 31-12-2014 by jacobe001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: jacobe001

What specifically are the banks colluding on? Keeping interest rates at near historical lows? Pumping billions of dollars into the economy that funds start-ups?

So they donated relative pennies to campaigns. The two campaigns spent over $2 billion, and Goldman Sachs and the other investment banks contributed less than 1%.

It may be pennies on the dollar to you, but those pennies add up to millions of dollars that politicians love to gobble up.
I will not do your homework for you, but a simple google on your part will do it. If you are really interested, I can fill up around 100 pages for starters.

So you will have no problem in joining me in banning money backed lobbying since it will not matter?
Are you for Free and Fair Competitive Markets where everyone stands on their own two feet?

Do you have any concrete examples of how you've been screwed over by the banks? Or do you just blah blah blah old anti-bank rhetoric supported by no facts?

Who said I was screwed over by the banks?

We are told that we are responsible for the government we get and the policies that they pass. The policies politicians have been passing from "Free Trade" to QE, to Trillion Dollars Bail Outs have all benefited top their top donors and have done nothing for the common American. Their top donors not surprisingly exist among the top Wall Street Banks.

Do you think Citizens should be responsible for the government they get?

The "bailouts" as you call them that the Obama administration orchestrated benefit the entire economy, as well as the U.S. government.

If the banks shut down the economy would come to a halt. There would be no home sales, no new car sales, no new technology.

If you want a real world example just look at Cuba. That's what the entire world would look like if it weren't for investment banks providing capital and liquidity.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   

which they borrow from the fed at near 0 % and loan out at mega profits from what is a private institution

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   

I think I understand where you're coming from.

We are peasants..
The banks have never screwed over anyone...ever.
Big business and amazingly ridiculous bonuses are something that us low and idiotic insects cannot fathom due to our fundamental stupidity pertaining to the subject of money.
Every massive pay out ever made in business history was legit.
-We need them to be rich so we can be poor..

Happy New Year.

edit on 31-12-2014 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   

You just described the pre-industrial dark ages. Do you think the quality of life was better 500 years ago?

You are making assumptions that investors and capital had more to do with our technological advancement than science advancement and pushing away dogmatic beliefs did. The early inventors that brought us the light bulb, combustion engine, and so on did not require millions of dollars to bring about their inventions. They were working on the same projects in Europe so it was an eventual outcome.

I agree that capital is necessary in expanding large scale projects like Space Exploration and the Interstate Highway, but how does getting involved in the Mortgage, College Loans, Auto Loans and so on advance our civilization? I think we have house building down pat.

The truism you speak of where it is to advance civilization does not exist anyways from mouth of babes so to speak.

They only thing that matters is the shareholder and executive pay, no matter how it can be done and that is how our government has been rigged.

Our Constitution was not setup that way. There are some that believe our government should be run like a business.
Where the shareholders (Crony Capitalists) and Executives (Politicians) reap the rewards while everyone else is the low man on the totem pole.

The Constitution States:

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Selling ourselves to China and propping up their country so that shareholders can get more dividends per share does not promote the common defense and general welfare of this nation.

It is supposed to be a nation for all people, not just the top elite.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: douglas5

which they borrow from the fed at near 0 % and loan out at mega profits from what is a private institution

What is your point? Would you rather the investment banks pay the Federal Reserve a high interest rate?

This is what happens when you simply parrot anti-bank rhetoric without thinking it through. It's a GOOD thing they can borrow money from the Fed at nearly zero percent interest. It's a good thing banks profit from loaning and investing money to us.

Your perspective seems filled with irrational jealousy and envy, not logic or reason.

You do realize the entire technological revolution that you're enjoying has come directly from investment banks financing start-ups, right? And that the entire housing market is the direct result of investment banks providing liquidity.

How do you think smart phones get developed and houses get built?

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I am glad the loans from the Fed was brought up. Instead of giving employees bonuses out to a company that lost billion they should use that money to pay back their GD loans.
edit on 31-12-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

Would you prefer they give out their money to those who don't work for them?

Do you think these people actually do work that is actually worth what they are being paid? This just shows how these bankers are screwing the people over.

Of course they deserve the money. Money doesn't end up in their bank account by luck. Other people and organizations put it there on their own free will. The money had to come from somewhere, right?

Do you have any evidence they screwed anybody over, is it that you've just been brainwashed and don't understand how investment banks work?

They produce money out of thin air if any normal person were to do it they would be arrested for counterfeiting. Sounds like you are the one that has been brainwashed if you think they actually earned this money. Also evidence has been produced time and again that these bankers screw people over but they are too big to jail.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   

It's a GOOD thing they can borrow money from the Fed at nearly zero percent interest.

It's only good for them because they loan the money out at double digit interest.

It's a good thing banks profit from loaning and investing money to us.

But when they make too much profit then that just shows they are screwing people over anyone with half a brain can see that.

You do realize the entire technological revolution that you're enjoying has come directly from investment banks financing start-ups, right?

Actually if you were to study a little bit of history you would find that banks did not invest in many of the products from the technological revolution those came from private investors.

Many companies like Microsoft, Apple and IBM use their own in house resources to develop their smartphones. They don't go to the banks and ask them for the money mainly because they have more money than the banks.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I don't like the "you didn't make that" attitude when I have to buy something. The profit from my purchase makes it possible for a business to pay the bank off plus interest and make a profit margin for the company.

I used to dig chicks with glasses, not so much any more.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: canucks555

I think I understand where you're coming from.

We are peasants..
The banks have never screwed over anyone...ever.
Big business and amazingly ridiculous bonuses are something that us low and idiotic insects cannot fathom due to our fundamental stupidity pertaining to the subject of money.
Every massive pay out ever made in business history was legit.
-We need them to be rich so we can be poor..

Happy New Year.

You can be rich too. The richer you become, the better off everybody will be. The economy is not a zero sum game.

If you're not rich, why not? Is it somebody else's fault?

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: jacobe001

You just described the pre-industrial dark ages. Do you think the quality of life was better 500 years ago?

You are making assumptions that investors and capital had more to do with our technological advancement than science advancement and pushing away dogmatic beliefs did. The early inventors that brought us the light bulb, combustion engine, and so on did not require millions of dollars to bring about their inventions. They were working on the same projects in Europe so it was an eventual outcome.

I agree that capital is necessary in expanding large scale projects like Space Exploration and the Interstate Highway, but how does getting involved in the Mortgage, College Loans, Auto Loans and so on advance our civilization? I think we have house building down pat.

The truism you speak of where it is to advance civilization does not exist anyways from mouth of babes so to speak.

They only thing that matters is the shareholder and executive pay, no matter how it can be done and that is how our government has been rigged.

Our Constitution was not setup that way. There are some that believe our government should be run like a business.
Where the shareholders (Crony Capitalists) and Executives (Politicians) reap the rewards while everyone else is the low man on the totem pole.

The Constitution States:

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Selling ourselves to China and propping up their country so that shareholders can get more dividends per share does not promote the common defense and general welfare of this nation.

It is supposed to be a nation for all people, not just the top elite.

We are not selling ourselves to China. China is loaning us money. We in turn use that money to finance our economy. The more demand there is for U.S. bonds, the lower the interest rates. And the lower the interest rates, the more houses are sold, the more cars are sold, and the more businesses can borrow money to expand and hire employees.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   

It is comical reading the rants of people who have zero clue about finance and the role of investment banking in the economy. Most of these folks couldn't tell the difference between M&A, private equity, sales & trading, asset management, bonds, etc if it hit them in the face. They have no idea what bankers do for a living and how they make their money.

All they read is some banker got $5 million dollar year end bonus but not realizing that banker probably made the company $100 million.

What I always find amazing is that the same people complaining about bankers have no issues with actors, athletes, or entertainers making obscene amounts of money.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 09:08 PM
link   

The "bailouts" as you call them that the Obama administration orchestrated benefit the entire economy, as well as the U.S. government.

Wrong Bush bailed out the banks not Obama. Also the bulk of the bailout went out in bonuses to the bankers and seeing how many people lost their homes just shows it wasn't good for America just the bankers.

If the banks shut down the economy would come to a halt. There would be no home sales, no new car sales, no new technology.

The banks that was involved in the bailout couldn't shut down the economy by themselves. There were many banking institutions that had nothing to do with the pyramid scheme they was running and would still be able to operate just fine. The only reason why the tools in the government was saying it will crash the economy if we don't bail them is because they are major contributors to their campaigns.

That's what the entire world would look like if it weren't for investment banks providing capital and liquidity.

And our crappy economy is the result of Glass–Steagall not being in effect anymore. This should be brought back in full force.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   

It's a GOOD thing they can borrow money from the Fed at nearly zero percent interest.

It's only good for them because they loan the money out at double digit interest.

It's a good thing banks profit from loaning and investing money to us.

But when they make too much profit then that just shows they are screwing people over anyone with half a brain can see that.

You do realize the entire technological revolution that you're enjoying has come directly from investment banks financing start-ups, right?

Actually if you were to study a little bit of history you would find that banks did not invest in many of the products from the technological revolution those came from private investors.

Many companies like Microsoft, Apple and IBM use their own in house resources to develop their smartphones. They don't go to the banks and ask them for the money mainly because they have more money than the banks.

What banks are charging double digit interest? 30 year mortgages are below 4% right now. You can borrow a million dollars for less than 4%.

Who decides what is too much profit? If there is so much money to be made and the banks don't do anything to deserve their money, then by all means please start your own investment bank and exploit the market inefficiency. I'm sure there are plenty of Fortune 500 CFOs that would love to hire you to save them money on fees paid to the traditional I-banks.

VC and Private Equity are extensions of investment banking. Where do you think they get the money to invest? Some of the biggest investors are pension funds.

Large companies don't use investment banks to finance development? Huh? Why do you think these companies go public? So they can get the capital by offering shares to the public to finance expansion. Who enables them to do this. INVESTMENT BANKS. Who do you think these companies call when they want to acquire a company? INVESTMENT BANKS.

The ignorance in this thread is just astounding.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Just a couple question for you to see where you sit?

1) You believe in Supply and Demand Economics?
Do you believe in Hands off Government Free Market Economics?

2) Where do your loyalties lie?
A) The well being of the Nation and its people
B) Investor and Executive pay
C) Another Nation

3) Legal and Illegal Immigration
4) Global Free Trade
5) Obama Care
6) Bank Bailouts
7) Money Backed Lobbying
8) Campaign Contributions
9) Corporate Subsidies
10) Endless Wars

All these have had an impact on the well being of our nation and its people and all have contributed to an expanding wealth for the top .5% and decreasing wealth for the bottom 99.5% not through Free Market Economic Practices but through Collusion and Corruption. Someone has to pay for all this and clearly the the top .5% are not paying for it.
edit on 31-12-2014 by jacobe001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

"VC and Private Equity are extensions of investment banking. Where do you think they get the money to invest? Some of the biggest investors are pension funds."

www.mcguirewoods.com...
“Cromnibus Act” Changes for Multiemployer and Single-Employer Defined Benefit Pension Plans"

My husband's pension falls under this. Is that what happened to our money, they lost it? I don't know why we labored and moved job to job for 42 years just to give it to someone else.
edit on 31-12-2014 by MOMof3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   

And our crappy economy is the result of Glass–Steagall not being in effect anymore. This should be brought back in full force.

Crappy economy?

How do you define "crappy?"

The annual GDP grew at 5% for the 3rd quarter of 2014.

Did you ever think that maybe if you would have spent your time doing something to make money rather than making 9,960 posts on ATS over the last 5 years your personal income might be much higher?

Heck, if you would have posted 9,960 blog entries on your own site you'd probably be making $50,000 a month in ad revenue from search engine traffic. I'm pretty sure Glass-Steagall has nothing to do with that.

You might want to read this:

www.forbes.com...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join