It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 2015 ANIMALS/PETS Home!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   
This bobcat actually belongs to an online friend.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
Not my cat, but looks exactly like my Cat Tai who passed away at 19 years of age.

Also not my cat, but looks just like the last kitty I owned who was deaf and a rescue.

Nightstar, i had a pure breed Himalaya girl for 2 years who looked a lot like her. I lost her in my previous marriage. My Ex kept her. Custody battles can be a bitch even when it just involves animals.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: jude11
Our cats Gonzo, the gray one and Snickers the calico.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Tarzan the apeman.

Just wondering, is Snickers nutty? I couldn't help it. I'm not very sober lol.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark
Yeah slightly nutty. Gonzo will be laying in the middle of the floor and Snicker will walk by slowly and smack him in the head for no reason and she just keeps walking. Cracks me up every time.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Here is my brother in-laws new puppy. It is a Moscow Watch Dog. He could get up to 200 lbs. by the looks of the size of his paws I would say that is very possible. His name is Kolav.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: miss_sky

Oh man that must have broke your heart to lose your Himalayan in a divorce! Mine was a male.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Adorable kitties you have! OMG that puppy is soooooo adorable and cuddly!!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark

Just wondering, is Snickers nutty? I couldn't help it. I'm not very sober lol.

Hahahaha! Why does she look nutty or are calicos known for their nuttiness?

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

It was a bad joke. Snickers are nutty candy bars.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   

yeah it sucked i lost the Himalayan, Princess, and also a rescue boy cat, he was orange tabby-diablo, i kept my 2 oldest ones that i had the longest at the time. Princess and Diablo only had them for about 6 months and had to move back with the rents and they only let me take 2.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Great to see a pet/animal post! Here's a picture of my boy Floyd, he's a Norwegian
Forest Cat/Maine Coon cross, and walked into our lives about 4 years ago now. He turned up at our house, malnourished, soaked and matted, so we took him in, fed him, and brushed him by the fire. As the area my parents live is a remote farmland, we spoke to the few people in the area, and advertised online to see if anyone had lost him, but no-one knew where he came from. Sadly it is very likely he was dumped in the area, as many of the cats we've taken in are.

I've moved out of my parents and live in the city now, so sadly I can't keep a cat of my own, but here's a photo of my friend's cat pinching my slice of pizza when she thinks I'm not looking!

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: CleoFace

Awwwwwww! Adorable!!!!!

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark

It was a bad joke. Snickers are nutty candy bars.

Oh yeah, I get it now. Sometimes I'm a little slow. LOL

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Most times I'm a little out there. Don't feel bad lol.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Thank you to all contributors so far. You have all made this thread a place to be for animal lovers on ATS.

And while many of us are enjoying the pet pics ( I like ET kitty!) I will keep posting this message throughout the thread so that it doesn't get lost.

Animal cruelty
Friendship
Animal rights
Acts of Bravery/Compassion
Testing in Sciences
Search & Rescue
Care of pets
Human/Animal Relationships
Origins
Medical
Exotic
Farming/Raising of animals for food or other.

These are also topics that I believe will give us a richer and fuller environment that many others might be interested in as well. I forgot to post my wish list of topics in the OP for some reason. I guess I have posted it so many other times in the other threads asking for the animal/pets forum that I just assumed. Silly me.

Please also know that this is only a working list of what I would like to see the thread grow into and by no means a box. Add your own as you please. In fact it's encouraged.

Now having said that I want to address one of my all time hates of raising animals for food. I know that there are many practices that rear its ugly head every so often.

Mostly the free range chicken vs cage for example.

www.kentuckyfriedcruelty.com...

When I first learned of how KFC was raising their poultry it was about 30 yrs ago and even then I vowed to never darken their doorways again. A year or so ago I learned that their techniques have changed to be more humane so I decided to go to a KFC because I honestly loved the stuff when I was young. I bought a 3 pc meal and HOLY #$%^& WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING???? It was absolutely disgusting and not like I remembered at all! One bite and it was all in the garbage!

No loss for me as today I am a much better cook/baker so don't need them anyways.

Since then I have discovered FrankenCows. Nothing can be said except that we as humans are now eating mutant monsters.

Or even the Foie Gras techniques. (Warning)

Having said that I wanted to address veal. Yup, that tender pink sweet treat that so many pay exorbitant prices for as it's considered a delicacy. "Along with foie gras and shark fins, veal has a reputation for being one of the cruelest foods because of the extreme confinement and cruelty involved in the way veal calves are raised on factory farms. For many, veal is among the most politically-incorrect meals."

What is veal?

animalrights.about.com...
Veal is meat that comes from the flesh of a slaughtered calf. It is known for being pale and tender, which is a result of the animal being confined and anemic. Instead of living on his mother's milk, the calf is fed a synthetic formula that is intentionally low in iron to keep the animal anemic and keep the flesh pale.

Veal Crates (Home Sweet Home)

A veal crate is a wooden or metal cage in which a calf is confined for his entire life, which is typically eight to sixteen weeks. The crate is barely larger than the calf's body, and too small for the animal to turn around. Calves are also sometimes tethered so that they don't move around too much, which keeps the flesh tender.

And now we have "bob veal" or "slink veal"

Bob veal and slink veal come from unusually young calves. Bob veal can come from a newborn calf who was just a few days or weeks old at slaughter. Slink veal comes from an unborn, premature or stillborn calf. Unborn calves are sometimes found when an adult cow is slaughtered and happens to be pregnant at the time of slaughter. Meat from unborn calves is now illegal for human consumption in the U.S., Canada and other countries, but their hides are used for boots and upholstery and their blood is used for science.

Since crates are being outlawed, BOB Veal is coming into its own as being the baby of choice to eat.

Cruelty warning:

Some farmers now offer "humane veal," where the calves are raised without veal crates. While this addresses some people's concerns about veal, animal advocates tend to believe that "humane veal" is an oxymoron. From an animal rights perspective, it's doesn't matter how much room the calves have before they are slaughtered.

I once had someone play a trick on me and they placed a breaded veal chop on my plate while telling me it was a breaded chicken breast. Once I cut it open I knew, reached across the table and yes, I stabbed his hand with a fork. He knew my feelings on the subject but thought it might be funny as hell. Actually it was...watching him look on in shock with a fork in his hand...hilarious!

Anyhoo...long post I know but just wanted to post some food for thought...yes, pun intended.

Remember that we truly are what we eat. It becomes a part of us. The nutrition as well as the pain of the animal.

Hope I didn't go too far off the kitty run...

Peace

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   

In the mid-90s I was working on a barn extension for a pig-farmer. We needed some water so I walked off into the main buildings to fill the bucket up. Straight away there was this stall with a huge sow in there - just wide enough for her to lie on her side and exactly as long as she was. It was a concrete floor with a running gutter of slops right in front of her snout. There was nothing for her to do but eat and there were dozens more stalls with a pig in each.

When she heard me, she turned her face and looked at me. It was one of those moments that burn into the memory because her eyes and skin made it like looking into the face of a person. I already knew that pigs were very intelligent and I also knew that they are compatible in surgery. With all that, it struck me as downright awful to see a creature I associated with sentience looking back at me and laid so low in the dirt of that stall. Doubly so because she was looking right at me...

It's the only job I ever walked out on. Not just because of the pig, but because the farmer was an asshole and the experience with the pig made it easier. He was a loudmouthed guy with no respect and was still shouting as I put tools in the van and left.

Not long after, I turned vegetarian and swung from vegan to vegetarian for the next few years. The hardest part of being a veggie wasn't the cliché of missing bacon, it was the way people always want to know why veggies are veggies. People huh?

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

In the mid-90s I was working on a barn extension for a pig-farmer. We needed some water so I walked off into the main buildings to fill the bucket up. Straight away there was this stall with a huge sow in there - just wide enough for her to lie on her side and exactly as long as she was. It was a concrete floor with a running gutter of slops right in front of her snout. There was nothing for her to do but eat and there were dozens more stalls with a pig in each.

When she heard me, she turned her face and looked at me. It was one of those moments that burn into the memory because her eyes and skin made it like looking into the face of a person. I already knew that pigs were very intelligent and I also knew that they are compatible in surgery. With all that, it struck me as downright awful to see a creature I associated with sentience looking back at me and laid so low in the dirt of that stall. Doubly so because she was looking right at me...

It's the only job I ever walked out on. Not just because of the pig, but because the farmer was an asshole and the experience with the pig made it easier. He was a loudmouthed guy with no respect and was still shouting as I put tools in the van and left.

Not long after, I turned vegetarian and swung from vegan to vegetarian for the next few years. The hardest part of being a veggie wasn't the cliché of missing bacon, it was the way people always want to know why veggies are veggies. People huh?

When I was younger I loved hunting rabbits.

Until one Day I barely wounded one only to Discover that a rabbit in pain sounds like a human child in pain. Gut wrenching.

Never again.

BTW...I also ask vegetarians who choose their Diet because they love animals so much, why they are always eating the animal's food?

Peace

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Oddly enough I was about to club a dog fishes head in we caught beach fishing I ran over rock in hand when my pal reeled it in raised the rpck high and it looked up at me big black eyes and blinked and let out a massive cry...we released it.
Didn't know fish can cry.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

Oddly enough I was about to club a dog fishes head in we caught beach fishing I ran over rock in hand when my pal reeled it in raised the rpck high and it looked up at me big black eyes and blinked and let out a massive cry...we released it.
Didn't know fish can cry.

Kandinsky, yourself and me...

All learned a lesson from a (supposedly) lesser intelligent creature. Interesting.

Anyone else have that type of moment?

Peace

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join