It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At least 35 killed in Shanghai New Year's Eve stampede

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   

A stampede at a New Year’s celebration in the heart of Shanghai killed at least 35 people - the worst disaster to hit one of China's biggest cities in recent years.
More than 40 people were also wounded as hundreds of thousands of revellers crammed into Shanghai's popular riverfront Bund area for the annual light show.
The stampede began at around 11:35pm yesterday at Chen Yi Square.
Witnesses said money had been thrown from the balcony of a nearby nightclub which caused a frenzy of spectators rushing to grab it.

At least 35 killed in Shanghai New Year's Eve stampede

Very grim day for some in China as new year approaches. There is 35 confirmed dead and more than 40 wounded.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: MrMaybeNot

This is awful!!! Oh, my what a way to start a new year!

Over someone throwing money from a balcony??? Holy crap

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Oh no! Those pour souls. I am a worrier and things like this just feed my worries, because they really happen. Nobody's getting me out of my house tonight. My thoughts go out to their families!

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I find such things utterly tragic, and also ridiculous considering how a mob of people suddenly lack any humanity whatsoever. I feel the same way regarding Black Friday, and I would never subject myself to such monstrous, savage, and barbaric individuals, who seem to forget what decency consists of, if they ever had a notion of it to begin with. People trampling other people, or walking over those who have been trodden. I really would like to see such people locked up, or worse. The truth of the matter is that for a peaceable society to exist for the benefit of the majority, strict punishments must be consistently enforced for those who would choose to disregard not only the law, but also common human decency. Someone that would attack another person simply because they wish to get a cheap television, as an example, deserves to be punished with jail time in my opinion. When order breaks down, society breaks down, and it is truly that simple.

Another example is seen in protests. Many wish to complain about the police attempting to get the mob to disperse, but the truth is that people are dangerous when they actively participate in such groups. The "mob mentality" does exist, and it can easily turn to chaos. Quite easily, and it often does. There are individuals who, whether through low intelligence, a lack of morals of any kind, etc., will feel empowered and emboldened by the presence of other like-minded individuals, and such deficient characters will utilize the opportunity to perpetrate various destructive acts, and will feel themselves much more justified. I hold that often times crimes are the result of a person's brain chemistry, and that "conscious choice" or "free will" does not actually exist in the way most believe it does, but this excuses absolutely no behaviors.

Again, it goes back to society, and doing what is best for society as a whole. Even if a person's actions are the result of their brain chemistry, this means that these people still must be held accountable, as their brain belongs to them. In essence they are their brain. Actions that many people would normally avoid will often be carried out in the presence of an unruly mob. And many people should heed what my next sentence, because many fail to understand the point: rules have been established regarding protesting, despite the fact that it is a right of every US citizen, precisely because an effort needs to be made to ensure that a protest does not turn into an unruly mob. It is easily done, as evidenced by the recent "protests" in places like Ferguson. And the police are thoroughly justified in attempting to force the mob to disperse, but I suppose I am digressing from the point of this thread.

Yet it all ties back to the topic at hand. Whenever you get numerous individuals gathered in one place, suddenly all humanity seems to dissipate. People will push and shove, not caring one bit about the feelings of those they are pushing against, and completely disregarding the dangers posed to those around them. This is another part of the problem with the world we live in...people not giving a crap about other people. For those that do not grasp this fact, pay attention: every other person is EXACTLY like you. They have the same feelings and emotions, and most of us don't like being pushed around, or even touched physically by someone we don't know. You would not walk up to random people on the street and start pushing them because it is unacceptable. Why wouldn't you do it on the street? Because you know it is wrong hopefully. It does not suddenly become acceptable just because there are a lot of people. If you want to get in the front of a large crowd simply to see something better, and there is no room, then TOO BAD! Your lazy butt should have gotten there earlier. Don't punish other people because you suck at time management, or for any other reason. These people have rights just like you do, despite the fact that such people should probably be in jail, simply because they have the mentality of a criminal in that they are willing to deprive others of what is inherently due them simply for being a human being, and because these people have rights you cannot just do what you want to them to appease your own desires. So if you are one of these types of people, you should completely change your behavior, because you are wrong. And are essentially a horrible human being, and you need to realize this fact. Again, what you are doing is NOT CARING and completely disregarding the fact that everything does not revolve around you, and that other people have rights, and should not have their rights violated just because you feel that it is acceptable. It is not.
edit on 12/31/14 by JiggyPotamus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Group mentality can really be disasterous.

a reply to: MrMaybeNot

top topics

join