It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2015

page: 40
<< 37  38  39    41  42  43 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   
M 4.5
5km NNE of Crescent, Oklahoma

Time

2015-07-28 01:18:27 (UTC)

Nearby Cities

5km (3mi) NNE of Crescent, Oklahoma
19km (12mi) NW of Guthrie, Oklahoma
39km (24mi) NNW of Edmond, Oklahoma
48km (30mi) WSW of Stillwater, Oklahoma
59km (37mi) N of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Another 4.5......
(Downgraded to 4.1)

Maybe a partial oil field collapse?
edit on 27-7-2015 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   
230km W of Abepura, Indonesia?
Where the heck is Abepura?
I doubt anyone on ATS could tell me without looking at a map.
Why don't they just say where it is Papua .......... doh
or even Irian Jaya, us earthquake buffs can relate to either

Its "New Guinea" geologically, that lump of mountains and jungle north of (and used to be part of) Australia geologically.

edit on 0700000020720715 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

F-E Region: Irian Jaya, Indonesia
Time: 2015-07-27 21:41:16.8 UTC
Magnitude: 6.9 (Mw)
Epicenter: 138.62°E 2.61°S
Depth: 10 km
geofon.gfz-potsdam.de...

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 12:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Darkblade71

When you say biggest one yet, are you talking 2015 or ever?

earthquake.usgs.gov...

earthquaketrack.com...
edit on 28-7-2015 by crappiekat because: to add

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: crappiekat

I'm talking with this current EQ swarm.

But it was downgraded to 4.1
But thanks for the link with the history of the area!

edit on 28-7-2015 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Darkblade71

No problem.

With all the quakes Oklahoma has had in recent years, I must confess I tend to ignore the area unless they are bigger. I saw that 4.5 and thought it was rather larger than normal, so I was curious and went to look at the stats.

Hope your day is going well. I'm off to work.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Anchorage (unsure of the epicenter) just had a roller.

06:35 PM AKDT Tuesday July 28th, 2015 6.34 ML in the Cook Inlet region of Alaska
edit on 28-7-2015 by sandman441 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 09:47 PM
link   
WOOOH Doggie! We just had quite a shaker! That was kind of intense.

It started out real slow and mellow, then suddenly started rocking hard!

We're on a second story and we instantly started running to the downstairs parking lot, fortunately it died down before we even got down the stairs.

Well, now I can stop complaining about not ever feeling them..........that was fun, in a disturbing terrifying kind of way.....geez.

(oh crap! Just found out to was a 6.2 at mt. Redoubt, a volcano, I have never heard of on that big there!. Should we be concerned?)
edit on 28-7-2015 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: sandman441

06:35 PM AKDT Tuesday July 28th, 2015 6.34 ML in the Cook Inlet region of Alaska

I'm seeing it was a 6.2 at mount Redoubt

I felt the heck outta that thing and snapped into full family survival mode for a sec there...

edit on 28-7-2015 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: GoShredAK

We're on a second story and we instantly started running to the downstairs parking lot, fortunately it died down before we even got down the stairs.

Well, now I can stop complaining about not ever feeling them..........that was fun, in a disturbing terrifying kind of way.....geez.

(oh crap! Just found out to was a 6.2 at mt. Redoubt, a volcano, I have never heard of on that big there!. Should we be concerned?)

was it? I saw where it was like 42 miles from Redoubt. If it is/was by the volcano (even that close) probably lava moving. I know we've had a few big quakes recently.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   

I'm seeing it was a 6.2 at mount Redoubt

I felt the heck outta that thing and snapped into full family survival mode for a sec there...

hmmm wonder if we had 2 then?

yeah I did too, I felt it a little and then it just built up and I was like I hope this isn't going to be a big one. Luckily it only lasted a few seconds.

hmm I still have it 42 miles away from redoubt but 8 miles from Iliamna

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   

was it? I saw where it was like 42 miles from Redoubt. If it is/was by the volcano (even that close) probably lava moving. I know we've had a few big quakes recently.

Ya! That's what I'm wondering? That's the biggest quake I've seen near there. I'm used to nothing over a three.

I'm leaving right now to go run some errands, we're gonna drive right past the inlet, I wonder if I'll see a plume or anything.......also kinda curious of we're done or if that was possibly a foreshock?

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Ya! That's what I'm wondering? That's the biggest quake I've seen near there. I'm used to nothing over a three.

I'm leaving right now to go run some errands, we're gonna drive right past the inlet, I wonder if I'll see a plume or anything.......also kinda curious of we're done or if that was possibly a foreshock?

Nah I don't see any plume so but I could see it as a foreshock if the volcano is going to go off, which it's been awhile I think since it has. If you want to check the volcanoes all of them have a webcam

www.avo.alaska.edu...

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: sandman441

It's probably just that my source is inaccurate, it was just the first report I saw. I'm sure you're spot on with that......

I guess I can stop freaking about redoubt then.....

Thx for clearing that up sandman.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   

It's probably just that my source is inaccurate, it was just the first report I saw. I'm sure you're spot on with that......

I guess I can stop freaking about redoubt then.....

Thx for clearing that up sandman.

could be, I did see redoubt mentioned but otherwise it was 40 miles away, Now it was near Iliamna but I don't know if that one is active or not. If redoubt goes it's not too bad Been through it atleast twice if not three times.

And they are still updating the site I think, after an earthquake that site goes down regularly.

www.aeic.alaska.edu...

I just saw somebody else mention that was at Redoubt but this is what I am seeing
earthquake.usgs.gov...
68km (42mi) SSW of Redoubt Volcano, Alaska

Am I reading that wrong?

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Nope, seems legit to me

There was a smaller one earlier too I was told by a friend, so that's correct, then again when are we not having smaller EQs all over beautiful AK.

Some of our friends and their parents seem pretty convinced the past few months have been more active than usual, and are afraid something big is getting close.

Gosh I couldn't imagine if Anchorage got hit in the same spot again, wasn't the epicenter right smack dab in the middle of downtown?

I'm incapable of imagining what such a raw and extreme power would feel like happening right underneath our feet..........-shivers at the thought, heeby jeebies in full effect-

Somewhere on the west coast has got to get absolutely hammered sometime soon I would think? I mean aren't several areas quite a lengthy amount of time overdue? Especially Cali.

Maybe not though I guess, geological time is patient, for all we know it could be hundreds of years before the infamous "big one" hits.

It's not something I'm paranoid about or loose any sleep over, I just find EQs fascinating. Very scary, yet fascinating. I'm glad I felt the whole thing this time around..........
edit on 29-7-2015 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I know california is past due for a big one, so is Utah but Anchorage is also past due. Yeah I mean you can't really worry too much about it just be ready when/if it happens. You won't know anyway until it after.

I think we would be better off now than when the big one happened in the 60's, for the most part we have been building safer structures for the most part. I know a few of the buildings and houses seem a bit put together shoddily.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 02:04 AM
link   

I know california is past due for a big one, so is Utah but Anchorage is also past due. Yeah I mean you can't really worry too much about it just be ready when/if it happens. You won't know anyway until it after.

I think we would be better off now than when the big one happened in the 60's, for the most part we have been building safer structures for the most part. I know a few of the buildings and houses seem a bit put together shoddily.

That's good to know they put up the $ and did the work to make anchorage more EQ prepared.

Come to think of it, I remember working a moving job in this huge new medical building there in Ol A-town. At one point during the day the entire building suddenly began rolling side to side the slightest bit (because of workers nearby using some sort of heavy equipment). The fellow next to me paused, looking a bit concerned, and asked "is that an earthquake"?

Somone who worked there then explained to us it was built to the specs of an "earthquake building".....my basic, extremely limited knowledge of that is that the foundation has a system of counter rollers integrated, which give the structure the ability to avoid damage by moving around with the motions in the event of a big EQ or maybe some other type of earth shaking catastrophe.

edit on 29-7-2015 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   
In the next heavily revised version of QVSData I have added a Calculate Magnitude Tool (od Convert perhaps by the time it comes out) which allows you to convert mb, Md, ML and Ms to Mw based on the empirical relationships set out at the Beijing conference on earthquake engineering in 2008.

The Lite version of QVSData is also now functional and allows you to select ANY 4 of the providers for which I have written import routines. (You can change to another 4 any time you want)

Current providers are USGS, EMSC, GFZ Potsdam, GeoNet (New Zealand), GeoScience (Australia), BGS (UK), JMA (Japan), Taiwan, Natural Resources Canada, NOA (Greece) when functioning, and in the process of being added at present are University of Utah (Intermountain, Yellowstone), PNSN (Pacific NorthWest), Oklahoma Geological Survey with more in the pipeline.

I am trying to make the program as localised as possible if people want that so these changes will also be applied to the standard version as well.

I will be looking for some folks to test the Lite version very soon. PM me if you are interested.

Sorry these ONLY run on Windows XP upwards

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Here's the latest on Redoubt volcano, looks like something happened at one point but then I'm not good at interpreting these readings:

Source: www.avo.alaska.edu...

ETA: More recent webicorder:

edit on 29-7-2015 by seentoomuch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Queenslands time to shine! Tremors Felt on Sunshine Coast

Geoscience Australia

Offshore Eastern Queensland, Coral Sea.
Magnitude: 5.3 (Mb)
Depth: 53 km
Tsunamigenic: Not available

Date and Time
UTC: 29 July 2015 @ 23:41:43
Sydney Time: 30 July 2015 @ 09:41:43 (AEST)

5.3! That's probably the biggest one we have had down this way ever I think? (In our times, obviously) I know Brisbane and surrounds have had a couple of 4's but not a 5+ to my knowledge. Was felt pretty widely, from the north at Maryborough, down to at least Shailer Park, which is in Logan, halfway between Brisbane and the Gold Coast. (to paint a picture,Brisbane is sandwiched between gold and sunshine coasts) I am SO annoyed I missed it.

I'll also add, so I don't sound insensitive, from the article above "Queensland Fire and Rescue have not received any requests for assistance, nor have Queensland Police"
edit on 29/7/2015 by bkaust because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 37  38  39    41  42  43 >>

join