It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Legalized Marijuana Hasn’t Caused The Sky To Fall

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

A quote from one of your articles (bottom one)...

So how to handle it? Very carefully, says Kleiman and others who prefer a model with greater government control—a monopoly even. They say that managing accessibility is the only way to keep prices from going too high or too low, as well as ensuring that weed stays out of the hands of children and the public health risks are emphasized over the glorification of the drug.

Oh yea, we know the government does a good job on that and even when it was completely illegal! Government control is a sure way to keep the black market (illegal not race sheesh!) alive and well. I swear, anything but military and prisons, the government couldn't run a little champ correctly.

edit on 31/12/14 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Nobody likes a druggo.

Have fun filling your heads with emptiness.

Once the big growers take over, you'll eventually forget your own names.

You reap what you sow, literally.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Unrealised
Nobody likes a druggo.

Have fun filling your heads with emptiness.

Once the big growers take over, you'll eventually forget your own names.

You reap what you sow, literally.

We are not talking about drugs. We are talking about marijuana.

I performed over 1500 autopsies in my career. Not a single death was due to weed.

I never saw a death caused by marijuana.

But every day I saw deaths caused by alcohol.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Unrealised
The same could be said about you..i.e Nobody likes a stick in the mud negative,close minded snob..

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: greydaze

Ouch! That one is gonna leave a mark.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Legalized pot has cause a significant legal problem for those states that have not, nor will they ever vote it into law. I see a continuing problem with pot.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I'm in rural southern CO nothing's falling from our sky except snow.

My economically depressed county hasn't made a decision on dispensaries yet. They lack resources to regulate/monitor and I don't think they're motivated enough to deal with the sales aspect.

Instead grow operations are being approved out in the county. Their product is earmarked for markets up north. Local land owners benefit from land sales/leases and we all benefit from land taxes etc. It's bringing jobs/revenue to our area that otherwise wouldn't be here, it's a win/win for us.

Most people here grow their own, so no taxes. It's refreshing to see people who were once considered criminals become enthusiastic hobbyists. Those in the know teach the newbies. It's a very relaxed, hobby-like atmosphere.

I don't care if we ever get dispensaries, my dream for my area is grow operations, hemp, MJ seed oil extract, bio fuels and co-ops for small local growers to help supply the expanding market/earn a little cash from their hobby.

In our area there's a small local operation selling products infused with MJ seed oil extract. It's not a den of stoners tripping over each other, it's office workers, truck drivers, warehouse workers, production staff etc. They're responsible people who believe in what they do.

It's up to the people/county to decide what works for us. I see so many opportunities and our isolated location is desirable/preferable for such large scale operations. We have lots of room.

My real concern for our area has always been mining/drilling operations that find their way down here, rape/pillage then run off leaving a huge destructive mess. If our county can profit from our land for growing as opposed to mining/drilling it will make for a safer/healthier living/working environment. I'd rather have an organic grow operation next door than a cesspool of fracking.

I feel so lucky and privileged to be living in a state that actually listens to and trusts it's people to make good decisions and act accordingly. Many of our aging ranch families now have the opportunity to sell land for growing etc. instead of drilling or failed land developments.

New arrivals are relocating to our area. They're bringing cash from home sales in other states to invest in Colorado. For the most part they're good hard working older couples/families with no evil intent. Too bad other states are letting such valuable assets slip through their fingers in favor of archaic laws that do nothing but fund for profit prisons/the police state.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Morningglory

Well said...

I'm always astonished at the power of propaganda to shape ideologies and attitudes that can completely override peoples common sense;
Logic and well presented evidence means nothing.

www.youtube.com...

edit on 1-1-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I don't disagree with anything in the OP, but I would like to throw out a thought here. We are a society that has rules, laws, goals, etc. We want the best for our children, friends and family. One thing that sticks in my mind is the level of "what we strive to be". I will use my children as an example. I have two daughters. I hope they both grow up happy and healthy. I hope they get good jobs and/or marry someone who loves them and that they have great lives.

Pretty simple...right? Well...I also look at things that could affect those "goals". For example...if one of my daughters discovered that they are gay, it would bother me. Why? Not because that is what she is, but because it will make life slightly more difficult for her. Sure...it shouldn't...but it will. Slightly. People drink booze and it is legal. I pretty much understand that my daughter will. But if she didn't, or at least did so very responsibly...that would make me happy.

My point. We have a level to which we aspire. Above that level things are better and below things are worse. Maybe only slightly...but below to what we aspire. We hope we don't have to have an abortion...that (IMO) would be below that level. Yes it happens...yes is is OK. But it isn't to what we aspire. We don't aspire to get a DUI, get arrested, go to jail, lose a good job we like, go on welfare, etc., etc. Yes...it happens...but we don't aspire to it.
[snip]

Bottom line. We keep lowering that level. We say "more people are having abortions" and to make them feel better...we lower the bar. We have more divorces, more single parents...we lower the bar. We have been lowering this bar for so long, just to make what was once "shameful" into something acceptable. We have done this to make people feel better and not feel like they have done something bad or failed. But none-the-less...as a society, we have lowered the bar.

I don't see that, in general...as a good course to keep following. Eventually, the bar will fall so far that we won't recognize ourselves. And probably not like ourselves if we saw us then, from where we are today.

Just my thoughts and opinions.
edit on 4-1-2015 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   
You are getting some people both good and bad. I've lost a couple of coworkers that took jobs there so they could smoke. Another co worker's kid moved there and had no real goal other than smoke pot.

It's fine with me all the signs look good the useless eaters will stay useless eaters the driven will stay driven just the way in every other state.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
The thing I really find hilarious is that here in the Netherlands we have this farming ban on marijuana .And are starting to reduce tolerance on selling and distributing pot.

and the US always picking on us because we had this policy of tolerance.
And now we use passes for selling to costumers in cofeeshops so they do not sell to foreigners for the abuse of drug trafficking.
And still they import from other countries so our government do not collect any taxes . How awkward is that, I really can't grasp my head on that??

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

It all depends on which way you want to paint the picture. It is way, way too early for any significant statistics here.

Law enforcement officers in Colorado and neighboring states, emergency room doctors and legalization opponents increasingly are highlighting a series of recent problems as cautionary lessons for other states flirting with loosening marijuana laws.

There is the Denver man who, hours after buying a package of marijuana-infused Karma Kandy from one of Colorado’s new recreational marijuana shops, began raving about the end of the world and then pulled a handgun from the family safe and killed his wife, the authorities say. Some hospital officials say they are treating growing numbers of children and adults sickened by potent doses of edible marijuana. Sheriffs in neighboring states complain about stoned drivers streaming out of Colorado and through their towns.

“I think, by any measure, the experience of Colorado has not been a good one unless you’re in the marijuana business,” said Kevin A. Sabet, executive director of Smart Approaches to Marijuana, which opposes legalization. “We’ve seen lives damaged. We’ve seen deaths directly attributed to marijuana legalization. We’ve seen marijuana slipping through Colorado’s borders. We’ve seen marijuana getting into the hands of kids.”

Some sheriffs and police chiefs along Colorado’s borders say they have noticed little change. But in Colby, Kan., which sits along an interstate highway running west to Colorado, Police Chief Ron Alexander said charges for sale, distribution or possession related to marijuana were rising fast. This year, he tallied 20 such cases through May 23. Two years ago, there were six during that same time period.

Link

That's just one article when you reach your hand into the basket. There's tough arguments on Both sides. I'd say that the majority of members here support legalization, which is fine, and the minority who don't, won't come near the subject Here because they know they will be ridiculed. It's still "cool" to smoke weed. It's like you don't walk into a bar and tell everyone that alcohol kills.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE
Bottom line. We keep lowering that level. We say "more people are having abortions" and to make them feel better...we lower the bar. We have more divorces, more single parents...we lower the bar. We have been lowering this bar for so long, just to make what was once "shameful" into something acceptable. We have done this to make people feel better and not feel like they have done something bad or failed. But none-the-less...as a society, we have lowered the bar.

And do you know what that's also called in a simpler term?

Freedom.

Freedom to choose, freedom to experiment, freedom over your own life.... Freedom to be different. God I sound like a 'murican, lol. But that's what it is. Modern society is not about the moral obligation to continue the human race. We dont need the church to tell us what's "shamefull" just so that a man and woman can live in a perfect happy little marriage and raise perfect happy little children which will go on and make more perfect families. We dont want the goverment to tell us how to live our lives.

Either way, the whole marijuana argument really boils down to psychology 101 - tell children and teens not to do something and you can be sure they'll find a way to do it on their own. And guess what? It'll be uncontrolled and very messy. You can try to teach your children to take the moral high ground, but in the end they will have to figure that out themselves. You can only guide them.
edit on 1-1-2015 by merka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I'm in Washington State, and it is nice to have legal avenues to purchase marijuana even though I don't currently use any. I like things being above the level and regulated.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 12:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE
I don't disagree with anything in the OP, but I would like to throw out a thought here. We are a society that has rules, laws, goals, etc. We want the best for our children, friends and family.

I have two daughters. I hope they both grow up happy and healthy. I hope they get good jobs and/or marry someone who loves them and that they have great lives.

discovered that they are gay, it would bother me. Why? Not because that is what she is, but because it will make life slightly more difficult for her.

What would make life harder for your daughter is pretending she was straight because she didn't want to face a society that discriminates against her. Pretending she was straight would not make her happier.

Also, people tend to be able to choose what is best for them if they are given the option. Maybe a lot of single parents are better off than when they were in an abusive relationship. Maybe some people are better off smoking pot. In the end, it is best if the person chooses their own way.

You don't have to get divorced or smoke pot, or you can, up to you. I don't think the bar is being lowered, it is being raised.
edit on 02amFri, 02 Jan 2015 00:51:00 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 01:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: AreUKiddingMe
It all depends on which way you want to paint the picture. It is way, way too early for any significant statistics here.

From your article:

There is the Denver man who, hours after buying a package of marijuana-infused Karma Kandy from one of Colorado’s new recreational marijuana shops, began raving about the end of the world and then pulled a handgun from the family safe and killed his wife, the authorities say.

This man obviously already had mental issues (probably paranoid schizophrenia), and to try and put the blame on consuming marijuana is just blatant fear mongering. I wonder how many more similar incidents happened after a mentally unstable person consumed large quantities of alcohol or prescription drugs? And yet in those cases the blame goes onto the mental condition not the drugs. Why should it be any different for marijuana?

Some hospital officials say they are treating growing numbers of children and adults sickened by potent doses of edible marijuana.

Again blatant misinformation and fear mongering. Makes out as if smoking too much marijuana can poison you... you don't get "sickened" from marijuana - at worst smoking a "potent dose" may give those without much experience a bit of nausea and for a while they might find it hard to get up and move around... it is in no way physically dangerous - and next time they'll know not to take so much in one hit. Again it is no different from people consuming too much alcohol in a short amount of time. It comes down to responsibility.

Sheriffs in neighboring states complain about stoned drivers streaming out of Colorado and through their towns.

What is "streaming out of Colorado" supposed to mean? Sounds as if they're trying to make it seem like stoned drivers are reckless speeders causing havoc on the roads... when in reality driving stoned tends to make you drive slower and more cautiously. Can the same be said for alcohol? Want to compare the stats there?

Sounds like the author of that article has absolutely no clue as to what they are writing about. Disinformation like that may have worked to keep the masses ignorant on the subject some 20-30 years back - but not anymore.

Going to have to do better than that.
edit on 2/1/15 by Navieko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 01:17 AM
link   
It is really good to see that Colorado is succeeding in the Marijuana issue. I support the decision to legalize, and its only going to get better.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Some good comedy on legalization. I think anything natural shouldnt be illegal. Its like saying parts of gods creation arent ok.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 01:32 AM
link   

The war on drugs will collapse, eventually.

An increasingly large number of people are beginning to realise that the war is not worth fighting.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I think it is great that Marijuana has been legalized, but lets not turn it into something it is not - that is something that is not without any potential problems if smoked too often.

I think some problems associated with it is:

- Depressed states of mind (especially when smoked for a long time starting in the daytime.)
- indolence
- disrupts thought processes and memory for particular tasks.

Whether it is suitable or a hindrance depends on the person, his state of mind, and what he is doing.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join