It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I'm Going to Target To Shop Today

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I'd just like to thank all of my American neighbours for giving me an endless supply of hilarious entertainment and knee-slapping comedy relief for the day.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Jamie1

There's a difference with "redskins". One, it's appropriating Native cultural images. Also it's where the word came from. It came from scalping and skinning Indian people like animals. You should read about the Sand Creek massacre, for instance. It's horrific. Traditional Indians don't like the reminder of what was done to their ancestors.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1
People who can claim an "offense" to force other people to change behavior, based on the offended's standards, is a very powerful control mechanism.

See, it puts the control of any other person in the hands of the "offended" if that offended person can show the one doing the offending is violating "correct" thoughts and actions. Of course what is "correct" is decided by the person being offended.

Did you ever hear of the Washington Redskins? This is a billion dollar brand and those being "offended" are trying to force a private company to remove their brand name.

And what's worse is others who will jump on board, just like the Invasion of the Body Snatchers, and point and squeal like some divine universal crime has been committed.

Is this offensive to you, if not.. what are you on about?

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

Black woman complains that Target using a white model for Annie ads isn't cool because current Annie in the movie is black.

She demanded Target apologize for this affront to her race.

Target's reply:

At Target, we appreciate the opportunity to hear from our guests. We’re proud of our Annie for Target collection, which was inspired by the recently released remake of the family classic and designed by the film’s costume designer. The limited-time only collection launched Nov. 16 and is currently marked down, making way for new merchandise in 2015.

With regard to the marketing of the collection, girls from a variety of backgrounds were featured within the campaign, reflecting that anyone can embody the spirit and character of Annie.

Target 1, Race Baiting Mom and MSM 0

I'm not going to post the link to the story. They don't deserve additional traffic and ad revenue for race baiting.

I'm going to Target to buy groceries and get a latte.

why does the opinion of this one person, affect you so much as to bring it up for discussion on ATS?...I'm sure I can find one white woman somewhere, who would say nothing would be better than to kill all black people....there are going to be crazy, fringe people, out of a country with a 330 million population.....they do not represent the vast majority.

My dear, you missed the point.

The point isn't the woman's self-centered entitlement mentality. It's that a major corporation had the balls to stand up to a race-baiting attention whore using her daughter's alleged "offense" to put herself into the spotlight.

That's what I'm thrilled about today. Go Target! Yeah!!!

Sorry...but that is unfortunately where our society has landed. She was originally white, changed to black and now Target again changed her to white. Obviously (sarcasm) the problem is the final change...not the first white to black. If the Target ad is racist, then why isn't the original change? Because anything done by minorities is forgivable...anything done by the majority is racist, sexist, etc. Demonize the masses.

Sad...isn't it?

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

Oh, please.

Don't give me this White Man's Burden garbage.

Name one middle easterner that has ever portrayed Jesus in a Hollywood film.

Name a middle easterner that has ever portrayed Moses or Noah.

How many white guys have played Othello?

White people have NO PROBLEM taking the characters of other ethnicities and making them white.

So, excuse the indignation if, when some progress is made, Target decides that the majority of their business is white and markets to their customers with a whitewash.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 06:35 AM
link   
What I can't understand is: if you feel offended by something, why feel the need to complain about it? Why not just keep it to yourself and move along? What makes the offended person think that their opinion matters that much, that the offending article should be changed?

Entitlement in one word. and it's very, very wrong.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Jamie1

I only go to Target when I'm single, it is amazing how many beautiful women go there.

Oh yeah, Annie. You can really tell when people are just being irritating. I know because I used to make fun of BET, Black Entertainment Television by saying that we would see all kinds of lawsuits if Ted Turner came out with White People TV.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   
You know that's not the same thing at all. Those people are real so no you can't willy nilly change their race. I don't think it would be racist but it would be stupid. a reply to: CaticusMaximus

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 03:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Sorry everybody, but my avatar is 100% me. I'm on a very strict diet and love to wear robes 24/7. I also love my big high backed chairs.

Some avatars are real, folks. sorry.

AB-so-LUTE-ly

I always have a stupid grin on my face. To those who believe I am not my avatar.....for shame!!!

To the OP. I agree that Target acted....independent. Most corps would cave faster than a landslide to political pressure. I have to give props for Target telling the complaining consumer, in so many words, that she needs to get over her ignorance. I bet it was a mighty shock for this woman to learn that Annie was originally a red-headed Irish lass.

Still Target handled this well. Artistic creations are created for the benefit of all. They are not created to enhance the pride of a certain race. This lesson needs to be learned on a massive scale.

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join