It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I'm Going to Target To Shop Today

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Lyxdeslic

Shirley Temple Black was an actress, not a character. If you remade her movies, it wouldn't work anyway, because the charm came from the vaudevillian aspects the actress brought to her roles, and vaudeville is dead.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: DrJunk

Oh yeah, I forgot, blacks aren't on "normal" T.V. Oh wait, yes they are. What time are you living in? But never-mind all that. It's weird how we don't see any other races bitching day in, day out. Just blacks. Weirdness.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wookiep

You never know, Bill Cosby is considered an "uncle tom" by many in the black community for seemingly being too "white". He might approve, many people within the black community crapped all over him. He may even be desperate for a buck since the rape allegations.

Your comments have gone from irritating to offensive.

Good day.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Well, that's a shocker! Never would have expected that! Good day to you.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrJunk

You never know, Bill Cosby is considered an "uncle tom" by many in the black community for seemingly being too "white". He might approve, many people within the black community crapped all over him. He may even be desperate for a buck since the rape allegations.

Good day.

Cool... an example of choosing to be offended in the thread about a woman who choose to be offended and demanded Target remove advertising because of her being offended.

What happens when I'm offended because you're offended? Is that when we go straight to having a war? Or is it whoever claims being offended first is the winner (or loser)?

I don't get it.... why choose to be offended over actions of others who you can't control, and have no impact on your life?

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1

Good day.

Cool... an example of choosing to be offended in the thread about a woman who choose to be offended and demanded Target remove advertising because of her being offended.

What happens when I'm offended because you're offended? Is that when we go straight to having a war? Or is it whoever claims being offended first is the winner (or loser)?

I don't get it.... why choose to be offended over actions of others who you can't control, and have no impact on your life?

I'm sorry that you aren't capable of understanding that being offended isn't a choice, but rather a feeling.

I truly am.

I didn't choose to be offended, I chose to terminate my dialogue with someone that was offensive to me.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Jamie1

It seems to me that many people would just like to latch on to racism and claims of racism to get their way. No manner of "conversation" about the subject can ever truly happen because it's a one-sided situation where one side gets to be offended over every single thing (pick and choose even!) and the other side is supposed to just sit there and accept it, without talking, without making arguments which make actual sense. Nope just sit there and feel the guilt they want you to simmer in, over some crap in which myself, my parents, and likely even grandparents never took any part in. Yeah that's fair!
edit on 31-12-2014 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Good day.

I'm sorry that you aren't capable of understanding that being offended isn't a choice, but rather a feeling.

I truly am.

I didn't choose to be offended, I chose to terminate my dialogue with someone that was offensive to me.

Being offended is a choice. What you choose to focus on is a choice. The meaning you give things is a choice. Labeling your "feeling" as offended is a choice.

Just participating in this thread is your choice, nobody else's. If you're offended it's because you've made the choice to be offended. Nobody did anything to you.

The other person just voiced his opinion, and is in no way responsible for your beliefs, meanings, or feelings.

Stop blaming other people for how you feel. It's no way to live. Free yourself.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   

No, you chose to take whatever I said and took it personal. THEN, and only then is when you "felt" whatever you felt because you "chose" to. It's picking and choosing what you are offended by.

For example, I could have been offended when you said "yeah just what we need, MORE white characters". I could have said to myself "OMG, I'm white, that hurts!" Don't get me wrong, it's a double-standard, and I'll argue that all day, but I don't know you from Adam, why would I take it personal? I CHOOSE not to take it personal.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   

I've already addressed your lack of understanding that offense is a feeling, not a choice. Thank you for clarifying your thoughts on the matter, but you haven't really added anything that makes me feel like I need to add anything to my post, so again, I will simply say that I am sorry for your lack of understanding and hope that you are able to one day.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Annie a cute little redhead white girl who can sing, tap dance and has a heart of gold.
Who spent a decade of her 11 year old life in an orphanage before someone adopted her.

Maybe the woman never saw the original movie.
I wouldn't believe it if I haven't seen it either.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: rupertg
Annie a cute little redhead white girl who can sing, tap dance and has a heart of gold.
Who spent a decade of her 11 year old life in an orphanage before someone adopted her.

Maybe the woman never saw the original movie.
I wouldn't believe it if I haven't seen it either.

The Annie in the movie that this clothing line is based on has black hair.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   

I've already addressed your lack of understanding that offense is a feeling, not a choice. Thank you for clarifying your thoughts on the matter, but you haven't really added anything that makes me feel like I need to add anything to my post, so again, I will simply say that I am sorry for your lack of understanding and hope that you are able to one day.

I understand that you choose to be offended. Are you saying the meaning you give things is not in your control? Or what you choose to focus on is not in your control?

What specifically do you believe you have no control over?

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Welcome to ATS & I for one applaude you. TY for the info & the thread also...Im glad Target stuck to their guns & didn't cave to this ridiculousness!! I love Target!! Usually the only place I shop. My cousin played Annie on Broadway for years, then Marilyn Monroe. Don't know who or what shows she is starring in now in NY, but again, very good article & thread! Again, welcome

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Syx.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: j.r.c.b.
Welcome to ATS & I for one applaude you. TY for the info & the thread also...Im glad Target stuck to their guns & didn't cave to this ridiculousness!! I love Target!! Usually the only place I shop. My cousin played Annie on Broadway for years, then Marilyn Monroe. Don't know who or what shows she is starring in now in NY, but again, very good article & thread! Again, welcome

Thank you. We will all be better off when we stop caving to other people being offended. It doesn't help them to feel like they're being victimized. It's much more empowering to be aware that you and only you decide to be happy or offended.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

HALT! STOP! WHOA!!! Only a "Ginger" can call a 'Ginger' 'Ginger'....

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 02:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Auricom
a reply to: six67seven

Obviously, as our avatars are pictures of ourselves. Just like you are the entire cast of "Hogan's Heroes" (or whoever they may be), CaticusMaximus is really a lion posting on ATS, and I'm just some weird smiley face floating in front of a computer screen!

Back on topic: Good on Target. It reminds me of the one idiot who tried to sue a school because they referred to a painting which had black in it as evil (as it was an image depicting something evil), and some mother decided it was racist as her daughter was black. Mind you that the painting had no images of humans, of any race, but just the color black.

There's a culture that's ever so growing, the offended culture. "I don't like that, it offends me! I sue you now!".

Yes, the offended culture is the biggest threat to personal freedom.

Why?

Because it puts the power in the hands of those deciding to be offended, and uses their offense to limit others' thoughts and actions.

Being offended is the most powerful weapon used not just to control actions, but to control ideas and thoughts.

That's why Target standing up to this "offended" woman is a HUGE deal. It's giving the finger to those who wish to control us, beginning by telling us what's appropriate to even think.

Being offended isn't "the most powerful weapon..." of anything. It's subjective and what offends one person won't offend another. Being offended or being offensive has nothing to do with power and control, IMHO. If it did, this country would be far worse off than it already is.

One person's complaint making it into the news and Target's lengthy explanation of why the white model was used isn't an important world event. At all. In fact, if Target REALLY wanted to "give them the finger" they would've said nothing and continued on with their ad campaign, their way.

Reactions like this, ranting on ATS about it and getting all riled up is what "they" want. I don't give that kind of control of my temperament and mood over to anyone, especially someone I don't know and a giant retail company I generally don't give a care in the world about.
edit on 1-1-2015 by lovebeck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: lovebeck

originally posted by: Auricom
a reply to: six67seven

Obviously, as our avatars are pictures of ourselves. Just like you are the entire cast of "Hogan's Heroes" (or whoever they may be), CaticusMaximus is really a lion posting on ATS, and I'm just some weird smiley face floating in front of a computer screen!

Back on topic: Good on Target. It reminds me of the one idiot who tried to sue a school because they referred to a painting which had black in it as evil (as it was an image depicting something evil), and some mother decided it was racist as her daughter was black. Mind you that the painting had no images of humans, of any race, but just the color black.

There's a culture that's ever so growing, the offended culture. "I don't like that, it offends me! I sue you now!".

Yes, the offended culture is the biggest threat to personal freedom.

Why?

Because it puts the power in the hands of those deciding to be offended, and uses their offense to limit others' thoughts and actions.

Being offended is the most powerful weapon used not just to control actions, but to control ideas and thoughts.

That's why Target standing up to this "offended" woman is a HUGE deal. It's giving the finger to those who wish to control us, beginning by telling us what's appropriate to even think.

Being offended isn't "the most powerful weapon..." of anything. It's subjective and what offends one person won't offend another. Being offended or being offensive has nothing to do with power and control, IMHO. If it did, this country would be far worse off than it already is.

One person's complaint making it into the news and Target's lengthy explanation of why the white model was used isn't an important world event. At all. In fact, if Target REALLY wanted to "give them the finger" they would've said nothing and continued on with their ad campaign, their way.

Reactions like this, ranting on ATS about it and getting all riled up is what "they" want. I don't give that kind of control of my temperament and mood over to anyone, especially someone I don't know and a giant retail company I generally don't give a care in the world about.

People who can claim an "offense" to force other people to change behavior, based on the offended's standards, is a very powerful control mechanism.

See, it puts the control of any other person in the hands of the "offended" if that offended person can show the one doing the offending is violating "correct" thoughts and actions. Of course what is "correct" is decided by the person being offended.

Did you ever hear of the Washington Redskins? This is a billion dollar brand and those being "offended" are trying to force a private company to remove their brand name.

And what's worse is others who will jump on board, just like the Invasion of the Body Snatchers, and point and squeal like some divine universal crime has been committed.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join