It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I'm Going to Target To Shop Today

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I'm happy that Target didn't cow-tow to this easily offended type of mindset. Woo -hoo for them and I'll be shopping there more often. Screw the trouble making BS, who just wanna get a lawsuit out of it, I'll bet money on it.

Good for Target and welcome to America "The land of the easily offended".

edit on 31-12-2014 by DaphneApollo because: tmi .... no.. just no.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: captaintyinknots
a reply to: Jamie1

You're joking, right?

So, they are marketing a movie, complete with title and release date, and have a model in the normal costuming for the character of ANNIE, but change it from a black girl (the character of the movie they are promoting) to a white girl (who isnt in the movie they are promoting).....

AND YOU PEOPLE REALLY DONT THINK RACE HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH IT? Seriously?!?!?!

Especially after the backlash over the fact that this movie was even being made with black leads instead of white...

I wonder how many white characters they have marketed with black models....wait, nevermind. Its never happened.

Target has proven once again how vile of a company they are. You should be proud to support them.

To play the devils advocate I have to say I agree with the Captain. I think changing the color of Annie to white is very much a racist statement of it's own. I'm surprised the majority of people posting in this thread are not seeing this. If a company put out a black Elsa from the movie Frozen there would be hell to pay.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: mtnshredder

They didn't change her to white. Have you seen the original comic strip that it's based off of? She's white.

edit on 31-12-2014 by Skid Mark because: Added pic

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   

If a company put out a black Elsa from the movie Frozen there would be hell to pay.

Um.. No there wouldn't. The first person who made a peep about it would be plastered all over the news as a racist bigot pig slime.
edit on 31-12-2014 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   
OP, I am a conservative. The woman in the story is an idiot, so is target, and so are you. Have a nice day.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Yes, the comic strip Little Orphan Annie was written during a time when blacks were still being lynched all across the south. So of course at that time, the popular character would have to be white.

I see nothing wrong with an update featuring a black girl. It really doesn't matter what the race is. The story is about a precocious orphan who wins the hearts of all she meets. There have been many versions of Annie on stage and screen -- all white. What's wrong with a new twist on it?

Regarding Target, I see in the whole campaign, that they did feature girls of various ethnic backgrounds (including black) - I'm assuming that's because they want ALL girls to buy the clothes, not just black ones, so they targeted all girls. Can't really blame them for that.

I'm as liberal as they come, and I really don't have a problem with what Target has done here.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   

It is as relevant as you getting offended by my simple posts.

I could only hope that they would see through your avatar and read the actual post. Instead of adding flags and stars because your picture may be borderline inappropriate here.

But hey, I'm no mod nor special person here. Just another anonymous poster who calls it like I see it. Nothing wrong with your opening post, but the few posts after were misleading and led some to think that avatar was you.

I proved it wasn't. Not a big deal.

As for Target, I agree in that they shouldn't apologize.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark

They didn't change her to white. Have you seen the original comic strip that it's based off of? She's white.

I know the original Annie was white. But the current new release she's not and that's what they're marketing behind. Do you really think they would be marketing Annie shwag without the new movie release? I would also go out on a limb and say that 99% of the kids which this film is being marketed to never saw the original Annie. Imagine the confusion for them. Mommy why are the Annie dolls white?
edit on 31-12-2014 by mtnshredder because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Annie is a white character. The remake is done with black actors.
Annie was a white character. In this incarnation, she is black. It happens all the time with literary figures (seems like youre race baiting, though)

The woman who complained is the one who claimed that the white model lowered her daughter's self-esteem. It's an example of ridiculous racist bad parenting and being an attention whore for demanding an apology.
Or, she is a parent who is not ok with blatant racism.

All the mother had to tell her daughter was, "Honey... it's just an ad for toys," but instead fanned the flames of racism by attacking Target and claiming to have been somehow wronged and deserving an apology.
So, if target ran a marketing campaign in conjunction with the hunger games series, but replaced Jennifer Lawrence with a black model, you'd say "its just an ad campaign for toys" right?

Not to worry though, that will NEVER happen. Target has never, and will never, replace a white character with a black model. Ever.

Funny how you say its race baiting, yet you are stuck on the idea that annie is a "white" character
edit on 31-12-2014 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: havok

My avatar's grey, so I don't offend anyone

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I just love how people are turning this into a racial issue. Cry me a river. And anyway, it's not like blacks are the only ones who have been oppressed. Look how many American Indians there are versus how many blacks tell me who is oppressed.
edit on 31-12-2014 by Skid Mark because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
I just love how people are turning this into a racial issue. Cry me a river. And anyway, it's like blacks are the only ones who have been oppressed. Look how many American Indians there are versus how many blacks tell me who is oppressed.

YES.
Every color has been oppressed at some point.
-Whites : Irish slaves, anyone?
-Native Americans : STILL OPPRESSED. Go take a look at reservations, my friend.
-Asians : Weren't we keeping them in their own little camps after Pearl Harbor because we were terrified that they had terroristic tendencies?
-Blacks : Slaves. But were also slaves long before white people took them as slaves. They were slaves to other black people, too. But white people owe them the damn world.

No. It doesn't matter how 'oppressed' you think you are. Stand up and make something of yourself, because someone somewhere has it a million times worse than you. Again, look at the reservations.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I want to complain because they used a black girl in the remake, Annie was always a white girl with red hair.

The musical and movies were based on Little Orphan Annie which has been around since the early 1920's.

I don't know why they feel the need to change a character after so many years, I guess you have to be more politically correct in this age to allow black people to change characters to feel they have their place in our society.

I guess with them feeling like second class citizens and all.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: mwood

Thank you so much. The next thing you know, Superman, Batman, or The Lone Ranger will be black.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Well, I had some lulz, thanks for the entertainment.

Be sure to support your local multinational corporation!

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: mtnshredder

originally posted by: captaintyinknots

You're joking, right?

So, they are marketing a movie, complete with title and release date, and have a model in the normal costuming for the character of ANNIE, but change it from a black girl (the character of the movie they are promoting) to a white girl (who isnt in the movie they are promoting).....

AND YOU PEOPLE REALLY DONT THINK RACE HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH IT? Seriously?!?!?!

Especially after the backlash over the fact that this movie was even being made with black leads instead of white...

I wonder how many white characters they have marketed with black models....wait, nevermind. Its never happened.

Target has proven once again how vile of a company they are. You should be proud to support them.

To play the devils advocate I have to say I agree with the Captain. I think changing the color of Annie to white is very much a racist statement of it's own. I'm surprised the majority of people posting in this thread are not seeing this. If a company put out a black Elsa from the movie Frozen there would be hell to pay.

Yeah, except Annie is a white character to begin with.

The only people hollering "racism" are blacks and liberal white pandering politicians when they perceive some delusional offense and demand reparations and apologies.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
How did Target stand up to anybody? I find it odd that the rest of what Target had to say was left off

As for the involvement of Quvenzhane Wallis, we had conversations with her team about being in the campaign, but ultimately it did not come to fruition. Fortunately, we had the pleasure of working with Ms. Wallis a number of times, including appearances at Target's sales meeting in September and a launch event in New York City in November. We had a great experience working with Ms. Wallis and appreciate her efforts in promoting this collection.

So in other words they tried but, failed to get the girl from the film. Which they explain. So is saying you failed standing up to somebody? Of course if people like the OP keep posting about it, then it could end up becoming a story with some traction and Target will end up killing the entire line and rebranding.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: mwood

Boy are you going to be pissed when the next remake features an asian boy - Little Orphan An Nhi.

Seriously though, who got upset when Elizabeth Taylor played Cleopatra? Cleopatra was of Greek/Egyptian heritage, so she probably wasn't white skinned with blue yes. And Cleopatra was a real person, not like Annie, who is a fictional character, so wouldn't it be even more important to get it right?

Hollywood is Hollywood, and they have one main motivation - to make money. Since Annie has been done a million times, what better way to get people to pay for a ticket, then to offer up something a little different? It's not as unbelievable as Elizabeth Taylor playing Cleopatra. At least there ARE such things as black orphans.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: havok

Hate to burst your bubble Chrisfishenstein, but that particular picture has been around since before 2009 and is definitely not a picture of the member Jamie1.

How do you know the member isnt the one who has been using this pic all over the net since it was 1st seen in 2009 huh????

OK now I need to come up with something on topic so this post doent get removed.

Umm....... ahh...... Go Target????

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: havok

It is as relevant as you getting offended by my simple posts.

I could only hope that they would see through your avatar and read the actual post. Instead of adding flags and stars because your picture may be borderline inappropriate here.

But hey, I'm no mod nor special person here. Just another anonymous poster who calls it like I see it. Nothing wrong with your opening post, but the few posts after were misleading and led some to think that avatar was you.

I proved it wasn't. Not a big deal.

As for Target, I agree in that they shouldn't apologize.

You're delusional if you claim I misled anybody about my avatar being me, or if you believe you could possibly offend me.

And why would an intelligent woman be perceived as inappropriate?

Very sexist if you believe a woman wearing simple work clothes is inappropriate. A similar image of a man would never be called out as inappropriate.

Double standard, just like the claims of racism when a white character is portrayed by a white model in an advertisement.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join