It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I'm Going to Target To Shop Today

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Why is it important to discuss my avatar and not the topic of the thread?

Of course it's not my photo. Want me to change it for Captain F-ing Kirk or Chewbacca?

Yes, most Target's have a Starbuck's, another evil corporation run by "the man" to exploit the poor.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Still won't go anywhere near a Target store since they asked me to not exercise my rights and leave my gun at home.

Even though their no firearm policy holds no force of law in my state, I have my principles and I will stick to them.

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: CaticusMaximus

Sorry everybody, but my avatar is 100% me. I'm on a very strict diet and love to wear robes 24/7. I also love my big high backed chairs.

Some avatars are real, folks. sorry.
edit on 31-12-2014 by Shamrock6 because: Typos

Oh and as to the OP: good for Target. It's still a PC answer of course, but still a win.

edit on 31-12-2014 by Shamrock6 because: Forgot to address the OP. My robe came undone and I got sidetracked. Apologies.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: havok
a reply to: CaticusMaximus

Baahhhahh!

That was excellent!

In regards to the original post, this is a non issue and really not even a story. The MSM will try to make it about race because that seems to be their MO, but all in all the story is over.

Let's not draw this out. Woman complained. Corporation told their side. MSM got ahold of it. Becomes a thread on ATS with a sultry avatar and a few wolf whistles. No objective at all. Done.

/thread

Who died and left you in charge of what's important for other people to discuss?

This is a HUGE story because Target is the first corporation I've seen to stand up to race-baiting attention whores.

HUGE.

That's why the MSM is focusing on the whiny mother, and not Target's response and lack of the demanded apology.

The mother and the MSM tried to blow it up, and Target nicely told them to STFU.

Of course the whiny liberals and MSM are going to want to tell people, "Move along... nothing to see here...." because they don't would prefer people not to see common sense triumph over self-indulged, race baiting stupidity.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I find this thread to be race baiting, just as much as targets actions, just from the other side, your still trying to illicit a response on race going where one isn't really needed. a reply to: Jamie1

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chrisfishenstein
a reply to: Jamie1

Can I buy a shirt from Target like you are wearing in your avatar pic? I want one for my wife! I love seeing through shirts...sexy!

Anyways, where was I?? Oh yes, Target! I do shop there but the issue is, they don't supply tons of groceries there...I can't buy a lot of things there that is at Giant Eagle or Wal-Mart (yuck!)...

But I will shop there more now, I love when bug business stands up for what they say or do...Not cave like a sissy! Good post OP!

Don't be silly, it was ripped off an image search, either because the poster like nipples (fair enough), or due to the old practice of garnering good feeling and stars by the use of breasts and a pretty face. Thats fair enough too if people are stupid enough to fall for it.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1

Of course the whiny liberals and MSM are going to want to tell people, "Move along... nothing to see here...." because they don't would prefer people not to see common sense triumph over self-indulged, race baiting stupidity.

I smell a sock puppet and I've got money to wager on who it is....
edit on 31-12-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: CaticusMaximus

Black woman complains that Target using a white model for Annie ads isn't cool because current Annie in the movie is black.

She demanded Target apologize for this affront to her race.

Why is Annie black now?

Can the next movie that features someone who was originally black, like Rosa Parks, or MLK, or Mandela, be white next time? I think some diversity in those areas would be nice, too.

Or would that be "racist"?

Just wondering....

I asked the same thing when I first seen the trailer for the new Annie... Why did they feel the need to change it? Why is Annie black now? I liked Annie when I was a child. And I understand that remakes change things. But it just didn't make sense to me that they would change that. In my opinion Annie is a pretty iconic character. But like you've said, people like Rosa Parks, MLK or Mandela will always be black in movies about them. I feel like society is trying to cater to the people of color who feel like they aren't 'represented enough.' But does that really need to happen? People represent themselves. They don't need movies, music or otherwise to do it for them. And I would say the same to white people if they felt they weren't being represented enough, too.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   

You're joking, right?

So, they are marketing a movie, complete with title and release date, and have a model in the normal costuming for the character of ANNIE, but change it from a black girl (the character of the movie they are promoting) to a white girl (who isnt in the movie they are promoting).....

AND YOU PEOPLE REALLY DONT THINK RACE HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH IT? Seriously?!?!?!

Especially after the backlash over the fact that this movie was even being made with black leads instead of white...

I wonder how many white characters they have marketed with black models....wait, nevermind. Its never happened.

Target has proven once again how vile of a company they are. You should be proud to support them.
edit on 31-12-2014 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
I find this thread to be race baiting, just as much as targets actions, just from the other side, your still trying to illicit a response on race going where one isn't really needed. a reply to: Jamie1

Wow.... just wow.

Typical, from page one of the liberal playbook.

When race-baiting is exposed, ACCUSE the messenger or race-baiting. Obama perfected this, didn't he?

How is it race-baiting to applaud Target standing up to the "offended" woman? How were Target's actions race-baiting?

They ran an ad with a white girl. A self-indulged black woman demanded an apology. Target said no. Where's the race baiting?

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrJunk

Target: ...reflecting that anyone can embody the spirit and character of Annie.

Even a white kid!

Thanks, Target!

What? You think there are not white kids in foster homes or orphanages?

There were 164,971 white children in foster care in 2012. That's 42% of all kids in foster care.

The site's motto is Deny Ignorance, not demonstrate it.

You certainly didn't need Target's targeted marketing campaign to tell you that, did you?

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Well you have just run in to the brigadier of the PC brigade UK Division. Have a nice day and enjoy your future shopping experience at target a reply to: Jamie1

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: captaintyinknots

You're joking, right?

So, they are marketing a movie, complete with title and release date, and have a model in the normal costuming for the character of ANNIE, but change it from a black girl (the character of the movie they are promoting) to a white girl (who isnt in the movie they are promoting).....

AND YOU PEOPLE REALLY DONT THINK RACE HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH IT? Seriously?!?!?!

Especially after the backlash over the fact that this movie was even being made with black leads instead of white...

I wonder how many white characters they have marketed with black models....wait, nevermind. Its never happened.

Target has proven once again how vile of a company they are. You should be proud to support them.

I love Target, and you've gotten you're entire point backwards.

Annie is a white character. The remake is done with black actors.

Target is not promoting the movie. Target is trying to sell products with advertising.

The woman who complained is the one who claimed that the white model lowered her daughter's self-esteem. It's an example of ridiculous racist bad parenting and being an attention whore for demanding an apology.

All the mother had to tell her daughter was, "Honey... it's just an ad for toys," but instead fanned the flames of racism by attacking Target and claiming to have been somehow wronged and deserving an apology.

Thank God somebody at Target had the balls to say, "Enough!!"

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: six67seven

Obviously, as our avatars are pictures of ourselves. Just like you are the entire cast of "Hogan's Heroes" (or whoever they may be), CaticusMaximus is really a lion posting on ATS, and I'm just some weird smiley face floating in front of a computer screen!

Back on topic: Good on Target. It reminds me of the one idiot who tried to sue a school because they referred to a painting which had black in it as evil (as it was an image depicting something evil), and some mother decided it was racist as her daughter was black. Mind you that the painting had no images of humans, of any race, but just the color black.

There's a culture that's ever so growing, the offended culture. "I don't like that, it offends me! I sue you now!".

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I think Target has the right to have whomever they choose in their ad campaign. Anyone offended has the right to not shop at Target. Anyone who supports the ad campaign has the right to shop at Target.

This reminds me of the time that conservative women's group tried to coerce JC Penneys to fire Ellen DeGeneres as their spokesperson because she is a lesbian, and well, lesbians are evil creatures who should never be allowed to be in ad campaigns.
Anyway, Penneys basically told this women's group to shove it. That was their right.
edit on 31-12-2014 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Auricom

Obviously, as our avatars are pictures of ourselves. Just like you are the entire cast of "Hogan's Heroes" (or whoever they may be), CaticusMaximus is really a lion posting on ATS, and I'm just some weird smiley face floating in front of a computer screen!

Back on topic: Good on Target. It reminds me of the one idiot who tried to sue a school because they referred to a painting which had black in it as evil (as it was an image depicting something evil), and some mother decided it was racist as her daughter was black. Mind you that the painting had no images of humans, of any race, but just the color black.

There's a culture that's ever so growing, the offended culture. "I don't like that, it offends me! I sue you now!".

Yes, the offended culture is the biggest threat to personal freedom.

Why?

Because it puts the power in the hands of those deciding to be offended, and uses their offense to limit others' thoughts and actions.

Being offended is the most powerful weapon used not just to control actions, but to control ideas and thoughts.

That's why Target standing up to this "offended" woman is a HUGE deal. It's giving the finger to those who wish to control us, beginning by telling us what's appropriate to even think.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   

What? You are making this a political issue? Who said anything about liberals? The real question is why your fresh account of exactly 5 days has stormed on ATS with a "huge" story of nothing but a complaining woman at a corporation. Which happens quite often at a lot of different corporations. What makes this different? Target not apologizing?

Who is baiting who here?

As you may have read in my earlier posts, I merely wanted to make sure that some members didn't allow your avatar to sway them. Not a big deal unless you make it one. To which, I may have struck a nerve because your backlash is showing.

Nonetheless...carry on.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   

my avatar is obviously good-looking

13 multiple personality disorders? Can I play?

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I'm glad they stood up for themselves. I thought the whole black Annie thing was ridiculous to begin with. I don't know why they have to give every character a race lift instead of inventing their own.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: havok

What? You are making this a political issue? Who said anything about liberals? The real question is why your fresh account of exactly 5 days has stormed on ATS with a "huge" story of nothing but a complaining woman at a corporation. Which happens quite often at a lot of different corporations. What makes this different? Target not apologizing?

Who is baiting who here?

As you may have read in my earlier posts, I merely wanted to make sure that some members didn't allow your avatar to sway them. Not a big deal unless you make it one. To which, I may have struck a nerve because your backlash is showing.

Nonetheless...carry on.

Wow.... I'm sure the other members here owe you a huge debt of gratitude for telling them not to be swayed by my avatar.

That actually tops the list of the stupidest statements I've read here today, edging out your statement about me only posting for 5 days as if that is somehow relevant.

I'm sure the time you've spent making 3,312 posts makes you an expert on ATS and helping people decide what's relevant.

This is a political issue because politicians like Obama and Holder, who can affect our lives, are the "leaders" who are fanning the flames of race-baiting, which result is idiotic things like a woman demanding an apology because she judged a model by the color of her skin.

It can be argued that this same race-baiting directly led to the riots in Ferguson, and the murder of the two cops in New York.

The leadership at Target are heroes for standing up to this divisive stupidity. Yes, any color girl can have the spirit of Annie. Not just black girls who look like the actor in the most recent movie.

Thank you Target!!! With one small act of courage you've made the world a better place.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join