It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A 2500 Square Mile Methane Plume is Silently Hovering Over the Western US

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Methane as I'm sure you all know is a powerful greenhouse gas, and scientists have found an invisible cloud or plume of it over N. New Mexico. Scientists think that the plume is a result of Fracking according to the article.

Though there is considerably less of it put into the atmosphere each year, methane is twenty times more powerful as a greenhouse gas than carbon-dioxide or CO2.

The accumulation of methane is not a new problem, but one that appears to be worsening as hydraulic fracture drilling (or fracking) and other intensive fossil fuel extraction operations continue to soar in the southwest region of the country. The latest NASA analysis of the phenomenon put the approximate “average extent of the gas plume over the past decade at 2,500 square miles.” Frankenberg pointed out that this estimate pre-dates the most recent gas and oil drilling boom now underway in the southwest.

Hm.mm...Earthquakes increasing...Ivisible clouds of Methane-a poisonous gas. Maybe Fracking isn't worth all the trouble we're setting ourselves up for. What says ATS?

www.mintpressnews.com...

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Someone ate way too many beans....

+32 more 
posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Fracking is terrible for the environment in every way. I can't believe it's legal.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Southpark called it the "smug cloud"

+9 more 
posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   

This article is missing a lot of information and seems agenda driven. If you dig deeper using the links, the satellite data is actually a time-lapse from 2003-2009 of methane release...there is no plume or cloud.

I agree with this posters comments from your link. If you really want truth and don't have an agenda, dig deeper than the headline.

The study's lead author, Eric Kort of the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, noted the study period predates the widespread use of hydraulic fracturing, known as fracking, near the hot spot. This indicates the methane emissions should not be attributed to fracking but instead to leaks in natural gas production and processing equipment in New Mexico's San Juan Basin, which is the most active coalbed methane production area in the country.

science.nasa.gov

I am not saying fracking is good nor do I support it. But misleading agenda driven articles don't help.

edit on 12 31 2014 by stosh64 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12 31 2014 by stosh64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   
On to the HOAX bin then

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64

This article is missing a lot of information and seems agenda driven. If you dig deeper using the links, the satellite data is actually a time-lapse from 2003-2009 of methane release...there is no plume or cloud.

I agree with this posters comments from your link. If you really want truth and don't have an agenda, dig deeper than the headline.

I am not saying fracking is good nor do I support it. But misleading agenda driven articles don't help.

There's not a plume? NASA even admits there is a plume. It's a concentration, not an accumulation or time-lapse video as you claim.

The methane that leaks from 40,000 gas wells near this desert trading post may be colorless and odorless, but it’s not invisible. It can be seen from space.

Satellites that sweep over energy-rich northern New Mexico can spot the gas as it escapes from drilling rigs, compressors and miles of pipeline snaking across the badlands. In the air it forms a giant plume: a permanent, Delaware-sized methane cloud, so vast that scientists questioned their own data when they first studied it three years ago. “We couldn’t be sure that the signal was real,” said NASA researcher Christian Frankenberg.

Washington Post

It's not just escaping fugitive gas from active wells but the amount of gas that's leaking from abandoned wells. I'm sure that's a major problem in this area when they talk about "predating" the current fracturing. Right now they are only admitting to losing a "little" gas when its extracted, but there is leaking gas in abandoned wells and studies are finally being done on that.

edit on 31-12-2014 by Rezlooper because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Fracking is just one more reason why we need to do away with Big Oil and their devastation of the eco-system. Fracking is a hideous evil almost as bad as Dick Cheney.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I sure am enjoying those gas prices right now though!

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
All we want to know is how high do you have to go in order to light that sucker.

You know your all thinking it.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Methane is actually why some of the planes went down in the bermuda triangle. Maybe this is where the next plane is going to be downed, or maybe they are protecting something?

www.salem-news.com...

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: HUMBLEONE
Fracking is just one more reason why we need to do away with Big Oil and their devastation of the eco-system. Fracking is a hideous evil almost as bad as Dick Cheney.

You have a quick alternative that we can switch to over night and secure all the jobs that regular Joe's currently have?

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Where at in the southwest? I live in Texas and just bought some fireworks I plan on illegally shooting off tonight to bring in the new year. I would love to shoot a bottle rocket at that Plume and ignite it.

That is unless someone pays me

edit on 31-12-2014 by LeatherNLace because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   
jumpingjackflashhypothesis.blogspot.ca...

While I hate to admit it, methane will probably get us before Nibiru.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spruce
Fracking is terrible for the environment in every way. I can't believe it's legal.

What world do you live in?

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: ItCameFromOuterSpace

You have a quick alternative that we can switch to over night and secure all the jobs that regular Joe's currently have?

Electric.

We could do it inside of 8 years and revolutionize the planet.

Bigger electricity needs would further necessitate the need for research and development into lowering the costs associated with electricity generation and storage. Innovation is stifled by holding up the literal dinosaurs of the past as a gold standard for energy production.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: ItCameFromOuterSpace

You missed the point, our world is evil & needs to end. Starting with big oil.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Rezlooper

Do you think there may be ramifications more immediate than climate change?

Could it explode..or cause O2 displacement / suffocation for example, or is this purely a climate change, long term problem?

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: DrJunk

All electric? We'd need a lot more power plants.

Oh, wait, they're fired by natural gas...that comes from oil deposits...that we get from oil wells...that we sometimes frack.

Unless of course they're fired by coal...lots more greenhouse gasses for ya there.

Or they may be nuclear...

Hey, the Tonapah solar array is online now, but it fries birds, bees, and butterflies mid flight faster than you can say KFC.

The wind turbines? Chopping up bald eagles, hawks, and owls like crazy.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: quercusrex
a reply to: DrJunk

All electric? We'd need a lot more power plants.

Oh, wait, they're fired by natural gas...that comes from oil deposits...that we get from oil wells...that we sometimes frack.

Unless of course they're fired by coal...lots more greenhouse gasses for ya there.

Or they may be nuclear...

Hey, the Tonapah solar array is online now, but it fries birds, bees, and butterflies mid flight faster than you can say KFC.

The wind turbines? Chopping up bald eagles, hawks, and owls like crazy.

All you are doing is proving my point that innovation is stifled by reliance on fossil fuels. You aren't of the opinion that we will simply give up our society when we run out of fossil fuels, are you?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join