It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Sci Fi Be Based On Real Technology?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

War has been around for a long time and although weapons technology advanced at a slow and steady rate would that account for the developments in the past 100 years(more like 60 in truth)?

The slow steady pace of development gets a boost during war time. But not just warfare, the internal combustion engine, electric light and the airplane all were invented around the same time period between the American civil war and the first world war. Advances in medicine, communication construction and transportation followed. It was boom time for inventing.

History calls it the Industrial revolution but it was really an inventing avalanche period. Lots of inventors worked in secret too trying to keep their inventions from being stolen, so I shouldn't call that era a collaborative one either.

If I was to compare it to another similar "blizzard" of innovation it would be the British rock scene that spawned the rock and roll music of the 60's. Like a lightning bolt of creativity descended on them or something.

Maybe its just me…

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

I like this quote from Naomi Mitchison you can find on the wikipedia page for "Science-Fiction":

I like to present my characters—whether they are in the past or in the future—with interesting moral choices, and it seems to me that science-fiction writers are, or should be, the prophets and moralists of today[...] A writer's job is to write about people with sympathy and insight.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

All inventiveness arises from the human imagination and science fiction is another expression of this will to create or dream of possiblity's that are not yet quite realized, it can actually drive real science as well as draw it's inspiration from it, that said.

The original intro to the old Battle Star Galactica series is enlightening as to the origin of at least a part that particular series inspiration.

Yes the media can be used to introduce and shape the mindset of people, it is used already to control population and belief through clever propeganda and mind manipulation so there may be those that are also using to beneficially prepare humanity for truth's that it is not yet ready to recieve but as for the star gate's though they may be theoretically possible they are unlikely to exist for a number of reason's.

Any race capable of constructing them would be opening up it's entire territor to potentially other hostile entity's though it remain's plausible that something like them could be developed for rapid travel or exchange of information between different locality's the random nature of worm holes and there inherrant instability would seem to proclude it as a likely method with some form of translocation technology based on quantum pairing more likely to be the method like the series communication stone's.

Still we are only scientific infant's and what knowledge would even a human race that was ten thousand year's ahead of us have and therefore what capability's would they possess.

Time travel for instance is unlikely to be possible as the act of travelling back would change your own history so in fact you would create a parrallel reality with an alternative timeline begining with your emergance into that alternative past and not actually travel back in your own history since your own history would remain inact inside youself a little like when the doctor recreates the universe after all the stars have gone out from the quantum information in the tardis time core that remember's every particle state in the universe.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Ok so there are sci fi movies about teleportation rooms to mars like DOOM and then there are whistle blowers who say there are colonies and jump rooms to mars. Very interesting. . . .

Gives the mind something to ponder does it not?

edit on 31-12-2014 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
Many more chose to pursue careers in aerospace after Gene Roddenberry brought us Star Trek. Many of these creative people may have also added their own ideas to what's really "out there".

(raises hand) I always wanted to be Scotty.

So, there's part of what happened in my case.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
War has been around for a long time and although weapons technology advanced at a slow and steady rate would that account for the developments in the past 100 years(more like 60 in truth)?

a reply to: intrptr

Sure. There's a logical progression to all of it.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord
So yeah when I saw this episode I was like they are saying hollywood is telling us about something here, a show within a show so to say.

More like, there are actually people out there that believe this, let's have fun with it.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord
Ok so there are sci fi movies about teleportation rooms to mars like DOOM and then there are whistle blowers who say there are colonies and jump rooms to mars. Very interesting. . . .

Gives the mind something to ponder does it not?

Generally what it gives me to ponder is that people who are deep into CTs are, in general, not very creative.

If you keep up with the timelines, before SG1 no one talked about stargates. But since the show, it must be real.

Before "The Matrix", no CT theories about living in a simulation. Now, half the threads on ATS seem to be about some damned matrix thing.

Before "Doom", not much talk about "jump rooms". Then, there you go.

If you go back to the 60's, you will see a lot of this in the UFO/underground samizdat of the times. You see "alien sightings" that somehow look JUST LIKE a recent movie release.

What you don't see a lot of is people coming up with something totally unlike the last movie or TV show they saw.

You've got the thing backwards. The "sightings" or "discoveries" are coming from people's memories of crap they saw on TV or movies.

eta: besides, there ARE no jump rooms to Mars. It's a 4 hour trip, and there's nothing there worth going for.

edit on 31-12-2014 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   

edit on 1220151201pAmerica/Chicago2014-12-31T14:30:01-06:0030f30 by nonspecific because: additional info

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Does this not somewhat give creedance to the plausable deniability theory though?

The advent of the internet and communication must create an enviroment were conspiracy theories are possible outside of small local groups.

The fact that the mainstream is able to create films and tv shows about possible events does not distract from the possible truth behind them.

I would be interested in your opinion on this.

a reply to: Bedlam

link   
Firstly, yes, Sci Fi can be totally based on real technologies.
A case in point is the video you can find here
There is also an article at this link about how magnets affect the brain and you can watch the interviewer have his speech messed up by simply placing a magnet on his head, yet he can still sing.

This discover was the entire basis for the WEFI mind control that is featured in my super indie film Battle at Beaver Creek, which also has an ATS connection.
Check out the ATS thread about B@BC here

link   

So i take it you go against the Op and think there is nothing to all of this?

Which "all of this"? That sci-fi stories are released by the government in order to introduce you to new technology?

No. I think that's ridiculous. Given the number of sf writers and their propensity to get drunk and say whatever's on their mind at conventions, it would be pretty hard to cover up. Plus I think we've got a few writers here, if they care to chime in.

I would be interested in your opinion and any counter evidence to support your belief.

That would be proving a negative. SImilarly, you can't prove that all sci-fi isn't actually written by a constipated unicorn named Sam in an abandoned warehouse in Schenectady, since you can't prove negatives. But neither of us thinks that's true. (hint - any request that is worded 'can you prove it's not true' is badly worded)

It's also a request to prove that each and every sci-fi story ever written was written by the author, was not influenced by the secret government etc etc.

Try rewording it so that it's a request for something bounded, finite and logically consistent.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
And then I start to think about comic books and my mind continues to wonder if some of it could be based on something else entirely.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358
I write Sci-FI and I can tell you now that I don't have any Aliens telling me what to write unless ........

Oh my God!

They must be beaming it straight to my brain!

Hey .... that is wicked!

Way cool.

Lol

P

you could try to write with a foil hat on and see if there is any difference or even a faraday cage.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I must appologise if my question offended you.

I have I will admit never met a drunken scifi writer at a convention.

The point I wished to make was simply that you seemed so sure in your convictions that there was no possible truth in the origional premise that the conversation was over as it were.

I myself was enjoying the possibility that there was some truth in it and simply wanted to continue the argument and wondered if you had evidence that would support your view that others could either take as true or atempt to rebutt.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   

The fact that the mainstream is able to create films and tv shows about possible events does not distract from the possible truth behind them.

I'd love to see some "possible truths" that don't amazingly look just like the last big movie. I mean, no, I don't think there's really a giant peach, just because of James. There's not a big red dog. I hope to god there isn't a big purple dinosaur. Superman is not real.

Entertainment is that. It's not some giant evil government for some reason releasing secrets to itself through comic books.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
If there are beings around us watching and we can't see them then it is likely that they do herd our reality through programming such as media

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I never meant to suggest that was my opinion.

I became involved in this thread because I do not deem it implausable that some of the science in science fiction is actualy occult information.

Not all of it but some of it. mant great writers in history were also occultists and interested in the field so is it completley unreasonable not to assume that some of it may be based on things unknown?

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

I must appologise if my question offended you.

I have I will admit never met a drunken scifi writer at a convention.

It's not offensive, but on ATS people often ask for proof of negatives or a "thousand tasks of Hercules" sort of thing where you have to reply to every statement made on a pile of links or a 4 hour torture session on youtube. Proof of negatives is hard to do in any case, and impossible in most.

You would have had you ever gone to any. I have this propensity to watch something or read something and want to know the people involved or how to do it myself, and thus our family vacations end up being weird # like going to SF conventions, doing grunt work on movie sets, was once a fighter liaison for someone back during the Art Davie period of UFC and so on. So I've hung around with several guys who are, I suppose, considered major players in the sf world and while they're all really fun and quirky, they're not NWO shills. They are good story tellers.

Do you believe, say, that Stephen King is describing a literal truth that the NWO is taunting you with, when he talks about evil murderous supernatural clowns? I don't.

Oddly enough, while I haven't gone to the site in many a year, and it might not be there any more, at one time many of the shows/stars/writers etc that are being brought up here used to auction off really fun things like lunches/dinners/a day with the very people you think are NWO provocateurs or whatever, for only a few hundred bucks for charity. At one point, it was cake to spend an afternoon with Michael Shanks or Amanda Tapping. The old lady nixed that last one.

A conspiracy wherein EVERY writer of a genre is actually a NWO shill that is writing fiction to tease the plebes with some deep secret metaphor for reasons that aren't particularly clear seems mental to me.

I myself was enjoying the possibility that there was some truth in it and simply wanted to continue the argument and wondered if you had evidence that would support your view that others could either take as true or atempt to rebutt.

All I'm saying is you can't ask me to take the entire body of sf and technology and produce proof it wasn't written by NWO shills, work by work, in 2000 characters or less.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I agree on the whole and certainly do not expect you to prove everything in any amount of charecters.

Most scifi writers are simply that but that does not mean there are not a few out there that may know more, I can not prove this and you can not disprove it but I would have a better shot in an all out shoot out because you have nothing but belief and I have wild speculation and possibilities.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join