It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Sci Fi Be Based On Real Technology?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   
So I am a big Sci Fi fan but always wonder if some of the technology and plots in these shows are based on some sort of disclosure of information to the people in a non threatening manner. Some of the technology we see in sci fi later comes out in our real lives like cell phones.

edit on 31-12-2014 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I have long believed that sci fi is a vessel for hidden truths, not just in a tech sense but in an occult spiritual sense.

If you take a show like SG1 then it can be watched simply as entertainment with lots of explosions and space ships but underneath there is a lot more to it.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Technology is created one step at a time. The first step is an idea. Sci fi is just that, ideas based around science.
Read some Jules Vern and you will see how many of his ideas come to life in the years that follow.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

I do like to get me some good science fiction. Been all over it sinvce i was as tall as a chest of drawers. I do believe, sir, you have the cart before the horse. The tail of your excellent imagination is wagging the proverbial dog and he's barking mad.

Science fiction leads to ideas in science and they feed each other. Asimov was a scientist and he kept the company of other scientists too. Teleportation was invented in books and comics and science wants to build one. Handheld comms? Android phones. Flying cars and space elevators hit the pages before hitting the blueprint paper and patent offices.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I write Sci-FI and I can tell you now that I don't have any Aliens telling me what to write unless ........

Oh my God!

They must be beaming it straight to my brain!

Hey .... that is wicked!

Way cool.

Lol

P

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   

There is no doubt about it.

The works of Arthur C Clarke, George Orwell, and even George Lucas have lead to significant breakthroughs in the world of science for good or bad.

Be sure to watch 'prophets of science fiction.' It covers all the great sci-fi geniuses and how their ideas helped shape the world as we know it.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
I have long believed that sci fi is a vessel for hidden truths, not just in a tech sense but in an occult spiritual sense.

If you take a show like SG1 then it can be watched simply as entertainment with lots of explosions and space ships but underneath there is a lot more to it.

Well I was watching stargate and noticed some of the technology just has a feel to it like a sense of realism woven into a fantastic sci fi. They even cover that in one of thier episodes.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   

the problems of this hypothesis is :

1 - it diminishes the imagination of sci-fi writers

2 - it just moves the creative / imaginative process back one " generation "

3 - it creates a aditional level of complexity [ the aledged secret techno elite ]

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord
Well I was watching stargate and noticed some of the technology just has a feel to it like a sense of realism...

That's called having good actors, writers, and directors. Not a conspiracy by little space buddies.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

the problems of this hypothesis is :

1 - it diminishes the imagination of sci-fi writers

2 - it just moves the creative / imaginative process back one " generation "

3 - it creates a aditional level of complexity [ the aledged secret techno elite ]

The fallout from sic fi is more pervasive than the "wonders" developed. It gave us the threat of nuclear annihilation, industrial and nuclear waste, and never ending war.

Now if we can just develop an app for that.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   
So have any of you thought of something you thought was unique and then behold it had already been thought of or done by someone else. Its happened to me quite a few times, why couldt it happen with sci fi as well? Alot of new ideas are just old ideas perhaps theres nothing new under the sun.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Stargate to me seems more plausable partly because it is set in the present and partly because it intertwines a lot of history and mythology that is already hardwired into our belief systems.

It manages to rewrite so many myths legends and conspiracies into the narrative it is incredible.

Well I was watching stargate and noticed some of the technology just has a feel to it like a sense of realism woven into a fantastic sci fi. They even cover that in one of thier episodes.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Stargate to me seems more plausable partly because it is set in the present and partly because it intertwines a lot of history and mythology that is already hardwired into our belief systems.

It manages to rewrite so many myths legends and conspiracies into the narrative it is incredible.

Notice in stargate they talk about ancient aliens and the need to go to war against them for playing themselves off as our gods.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Personally, I think it's sort of a two way street.

As I've said in other threads, we do have precedent that the CIA worked in conjunction with Hollywood -- case in point, the events behind the movie "Argo". It's actually a very clever obfuscation technique, as in "that can't be real...it was just a TV show!" ... It lends plausible deniability to any black project that might leak or be seen. Sci-fi nerds that claim to see UFO's are often dismissed because they're "seeing what they want to see, they're just really into those TV shows.."

Also, I think that sci-fi might influence actual technological growth. Many of the people working in STEM careers were heavily influenced by the sci-si greats like Issac Asimov and Arthur C. Clarke. Many more chose to pursue careers in aerospace after Gene Roddenberry brought us Star Trek. Many of these creative people may have also added their own ideas to what's really "out there".

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Stargate SG1 actually did an episode where someone made a tv show called wormhole extreme and they decided to let it go to air to create plausable deniability, now thats clever.

Nothing to see here folks, move along, move along...

a reply to: MystikMushroom

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Yep, that -- I think was a wink and nod to people that think like us.

The fake show was called "Wormhole X-Treme!" Great episode....

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Yes but was it a nod to say that yes there is some truth in all of this and we a covering our backs or a nod to say that yes we know you think there is some truth in this but there in none yet we acknolodge your belief?

Or yes we are making a joke out of this as a double bluff and what we are in fact telling you is.....

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Many of these creative people may have also added their own ideas to what's really "out there".

Mans progression of technological prowess has only exponentially blossomed in the last hundred years or so. Before that horse and candle power were the mainstays for millennia. It is interesting to note that we remained so "primitive" for so long ad then suddenly… shazaam.

What do we attribute that to?

Is it ideas from 'beyond', a breach of contentment on our part? Why did it take so long for technology to "catch on"?

Maybe its just the mother of inventions… war.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
War has been around for a long time and although weapons technology advanced at a slow and steady rate would that account for the developments in the past 100 years(more like 60 in truth)?

a reply to: intrptr

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
So yeah when I saw this episode I was like they are saying hollywood is telling us about something here, a show within a show so to say.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join