It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To Christian fundamentalism in the US

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: skalla

lol that is a joke
science is one of the youngest religions
nature has always been
science is a newer creation of man
religion and faith go back as far as the records do

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

well, fair enough, deadeye, i disagree with you but i'm too merry now and typng aint so easy, so i'll just raise a glass to ya and wish you a happy new year

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: JUhrman

What kind of people would you expect a death cult to attract? Surely not emotionally healthy people eager to help others and live in peace.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Expat888
Why else do you think europe tossed them out ... people started becoming aware of the fraud thats organised religion and started to see beyond the sectarian violence.. thus all the riffraf ended up in america ...

Right. But if you're American you were taught as a child that the Puritans left Europe to escape religious persecution. In fact, they were the persecutors and were given the heave-ho. The first thing they did when they got to North America was establish a theocracy.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: JUhrman

Why else do you think europe tossed them out ... people started becoming aware of the fraud thats organised religion and started to see beyond the sectarian violence.. thus all the riffraf ended up in america ...

Why did organised religion in the US go in a completely different direction than in Europe?

That's the heart of my question.

Organized religion in the US grew out of the loathsome Puritans who were fundamentalists (ie. they took the BIble as the literal word of God) and they were theocrats.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: skalla

right back at you x2 enjoy

just say deadeyedick 3 times and then touch a piece of silver and i will be there
edit on 31-12-2014 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: undo

THE idea that american protestants are all fundies, is a false hood generated by media.

That's why my thread is about Christian fundamentalism, not about protestantism!

I think Fundamentalists represent around 15% percent of the Christians worldwide, but up to 40% of the Christians in the US.

That's quite frightening when you think about it. Are the figures as bad in Muslim countries which are considered fundamentalists by the west? I don't think so.

some fundies are identified as such because they follow certain talking points that the media says identifies them as fundamentalists, such as a disagreement with abortion, gay marriage issues and so on. but some are not fundie about one, and are completely fundie about the other. it's just not that easy to categorize. the numbers you are getting are from talking points, passed around like cookie cutter recipes for political debate. it's not reality.

No, they're called fundamentalists because they take the Bible as the literal word of God. That's what fundamentalist means. That's their fundamental belief and their other beliefs and behaviors stem from that.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

the numbers you are getting are from talking points, passed around like cookie cutter recipes for political debate. it's not reality.

The pictures I posted represent an aspect of reality, and my question remains the same; what went wrong in the US that we can see such sight in the US frequently, but almost never in Europe?

I do not try to generalize, I'm trying to understand why in this XXIth century biblical literalism is still so popular in the US, and it even seems to be taught in schools to kids. It's not specifically a problem with protestantism, all religions can "evolve" in fundamentalism, but not all do it as successfully as Christian faith in the US.

Actually, not all religions can be fundamentalist. Only those with a holy text they believe was authored by their deity/deities could possibly become fundamentalist.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   

a reply to: undo

There were no fundamentalists in the US before the 19th century. If that's not a rise, I don't know what this is?

There most certainly were fundamentalists in the US before the 19th century. The term simply wasn't adopted before then. The belief that that Bible is the literal word of God arrived with the Puritans aka Pilgrims.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
Religion is no longer about Faith. When you have TV preachers making millions, living in mansions and selling salvation to the highest donor, what do you expect? Pretty sure God never said, "Send me $20 and I'll tell Peter to let you in".

When did it started to become like that?

Honest question there is almost 0 Christian fundamentalism here, no TV preachers, no tithing, no rejection of sciences, no hate of other cultures.

Seriously, what happened specifically in the US to give birth to Christian fundamentalism like never seen before?

I know that you do indeed have TV preachers because you have religious TV stations. And I know that TV preachers are very welcomed in Europe.

Did the Huguenots die in vain? That makes them martyrs, now doesn't it?

I am sorry, but the Catholic church then was very fundamentalist, that's why my Huguenot ancestors had to leave Europe, just to be able to live.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tangerine

a reply to: undo

There were no fundamentalists in the US before the 19th century. If that's not a rise, I don't know what this is?

There most certainly were fundamentalists in the US before the 19th century. The term simply wasn't adopted before then. The belief that that Bible is the literal word of God arrived with the Puritans aka Pilgrims.

This is something I can agree on.

No Fundamentalism in the Americas? That was funny.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Yeshua/Jesus was not a mystic or a prophet,He was God in flesh!

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Right. But if you're American you were taught as a child that the Puritans left Europe to escape religious persecution. In fact, they were the persecutors and were given the heave-ho. The first thing they did when they got to North America was establish a theocracy.

I didn't know there was a Church of the United States, like there is in England, Scotland and Ireland. Please enlighten me as to where the headquarters of the Church of the United States is at.

Theocracy means the church is head of the state, so is the headquarters really the White House?

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth

Yeshua/Jesus was not a mystic or a prophet,He was God in flesh!

Really? Cite the contemporaneous documentation (ie. historical evidence) proving that Jesus ever existed.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: WarminIndy

I didn't know there was a Church of the United States, like there is in England, Scotland and Ireland. Please enlighten me as to where the headquarters of the Church of the United States is at.

Theocracy means the church is head of the state, so is the headquarters really the White House?

Apparently, you need to brush up on history. The Puritans established a theocracy in Massachusetts Bay Colony BEFORE the U.S. existed. That's one of the reasons the Constitution declares that government shall establish no religion. Nevertheless, the Puritan fundamentalist infestation proved to be contagious and has been passed down through the centuries. Right now, 12 to 14 million members of the Religious Right in the U.S. want literal theocracy. Don't believe me? Visit Christian Reconstructionist websites and read their own words. Christian Reconstructionism (also known as theonomy or dominionism) is the philosphical underpinning of the Religious Right and calls for destruction of democracy and a literal return to Old Testament law and outright theocracy.

Now that you mention it, in violation of the Constitution, there is a Faith-based Office in the White House. It was started under G.W. Bush and continues to exist under Obama.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: WarminIndy

Apparently, you need to brush up on history. The Puritans established a theocracy in Massachusetts Bay Colony BEFORE the U.S. existed. That's one of the reasons the Constitution declares that government shall establish no religion. Nevertheless, the Puritan fundamentalist infestation proved to be contagious and has been passed down through the centuries. Right now, 12 to 14 million members of the Religious Right in the U.S. want literal theocracy. Don't believe me? Visit Christian Reconstructionist websites and read their own words. Christian Reconstructionism (also known as theonomy or dominionism) is the philosphical underpinning of the Religious Right and calls for destruction of democracy and a literal return to Old Testament law and outright theocracy.

Now that you mention it, in violation of the Constitution, there is a Faith-based Office in the White House. It was started under G.W. Bush and continues to exist under Obama.

theocracy - definition of theocracy by The Free... www.thefreedictionary.com/theocracy Cached the·oc·ra·cy (thē-ŏk′rə-sē) n. pl. the·oc·ra·cies. 1. Government ruled by or subject to religious authority. 2. A country or state governed in this way.

Sorry, Virginia had the House of Burgesses. Beat Massachusetts. But please, show me in the Constitution where your basis for separation of church and state is. Can you point out that amendment?

Was that historical enough for you?

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Tangerine

You and everyone else will discover He is real when He returns.
Behold He comes riding on the clouds,shining like the sun at
the shofar call.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 11:50 PM
link   

the shofar call.

I agree He is awesome.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   

the shofar call.

And Gandalf, too! Yeah, sure.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 01:17 AM
link   

the shofar call.

And Gandalf, too! Yeah, sure.

As He said "Behold, I come quickly and my reward is with Me".

Oh wait, you have nothing to come, nothing to care about, nothing to rely on, nothing to love you because your universe is harsh, cold and unfeeling. You came into existence randomly and you will go out as ordered when your body decides to quit working.

If you don't mind that, then don't worry, be happy. If we are all random byproducts of a non-caring and non-loving universe, then you shouldn't even be concerned or worried about what we say, because we aren't obligated in any way according to the laws of nature to even be worried about you. If we are random by-products, then who cares?

But you do worry and you do think about it because you still desire to be loved and cared about. The universe can't provide that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join