It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Animal rights. Does it mean anything to you?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Chickens that lay eggs are often held in very small cages while they are alive. Is this right? If you think this is, you are not a very good person.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 12:36 AM
link   
a reply to: droid56

The title is a trick question, be honest...

I mean let's say 95% of ATS are Meat eaters...

It's gonna sound hypocritical to say we believe in Animal Rights...

As for your question, no it isn't right...
They should be given freedom to roam about the Farm...

But Farming is rare now since Corporations decided slaughterhouses are much more profitable.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 12:36 AM
link   
it's not right. The moment humans turned animals into a commercial item, is when we became more savage than cavemen.

It's one thing to eat them.. but to treat animals without the respect a living creature deserves is abhorrent to me.

but never fear, someone will come along soon and burst out with self applause when they crack a joke about how tasty they are.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 12:37 AM
link   

No...I don't think it is right. Personally...I don't think any animal should be in a cage.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 12:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: droid56
Chickens that lay eggs are often held in very small cages while they are alive. Is this right? If you think this is, you are not a very good person.

They actually cut their beaks off and they spend their whole lives in a space where they can never move their wings nor move at all. They change the lighting so they must lay more than one egg a day wearing out their bodies and so they die early.
When male birds are born they are thrown alive into grinders since they don't lay eggs...the whole business is disgusting.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   

It's less restrictive than it is for the chicks inside the eggs.

What farms are keeping their hens in very small cages?

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 12:40 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

I mean let's say 95% of ATS are Meat eaters...

It's gonna sound hypocritical to say we believe in Animal Rights...

I don't see that as true. I think the people who eat meat can still care how the animals are treated and the life they have before they are killed.
Also the choices like eating Pasture Raised Eggs...they are the only ones that give the animal real room to live. The so called free range only have to give them something like a foot to move in and a few hours of light.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee

No I don't agree either but it did seem the way the question was gonna swing.

I agree with what you said, as long as Animals are treated respectfully, that's all that matters.

The new age culling is disgusting.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: WakeUpBeer

It's less restrictive than it is for the chicks inside the eggs.

What farms are keeping their hens in very small cages?

Most of them now you can look it up.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 01:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: droid56

It does matter to me and that is why I vote by buying cage free, organic and other slightly more expensive, but ethical products. If everyone did this the corporate farms would be out of business.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 01:22 AM
link   
i'm having salmon with lemon now. so maybe i will comment later.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 02:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee

I agree with you. I eat meat and I care very much how the animals are treated. As a matter of fact I try my damndest to avoid companies that abuse their animals or keep them in abusive conditions and this includes cages for chickens.

While I don't think there is anything in the world wrong with eating meat... I am an animal lover. We should be appreciative of the meat we eat and part of that would include being respectful to the animals that give us life. I have quit buying from many companies that I found out were treating their animals cruelly. I have quit buying chicken from companies who never allow their chickens to be free range.

I think many meat eaters feel the same way I do. I find it sad that many do not and even then I think most of those just don't care enough to find out how the animals that they consume have been treated. Most people just don't bother to educate themselves on the process or they are just too lazy to look into it. Either way....

I agree that being a meat eater does not automatically make you ok with animal abuse. The two are not mutually exclusive. I don't know of one person in my life that wants an animal to be abused or suffer unduly because of their diet. Not one. Not one of them wants the animals they will eventually consume to be beaten, tortured, or killed slowly.

I think a lot of animal activists would like to see it that way, but it simply isn't true IMO.

edit on 12/31/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 02:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

While it does matter to me that battery hens live in squalor , the fact is that true free range eggs taste so much better , no forced antibiotics etc etc . Free range here means just that , no constraints . On a side note . My mother told me white chickens lay white eggs and brown/black chickens lay brown eggs . She was a farm girl eons ago but at this point everything i have noticed seems to confirm her theory .

OMG here come the egg racist nazis .

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 03:20 AM
link   
[quote
When male birds are born they are thrown alive into grinders since they don't lay eggs...the whole business is disgusting.

[/quote

There is a farm near me that is based on ethical practises and when the farm sells laying hens it costs twice the usual price but the hen also comes with a "brother", a free range young male, cleaned and frozen. This farmer cares a lot about his animals and I thought it was a good concept... specially after seeing a video of commercial chick sexing where the males get ground up alive. So harsh.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Animal rights is a human concept, just as is human rights. What I mean by this is that outside of human civilisation these concepts do not exist. There is no such thing as inalienable rights for humans or animals; the society in which humans or animals live determines the scope of "rights" that they have access to.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 04:21 AM
link   
I could care less as long as it tastes good...

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   
All my chickens are free range .. no coops .. though some get suicidal and end up lunch for the tigress and her cubs that live by the river ..

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: igloo
[quote

[/quote

There is a farm near me that is based on ethical practises and when the farm sells laying hens it costs twice the usual price but the hen also comes with a "brother", a free range young male, cleaned and frozen. This farmer cares a lot about his animals and I thought it was a good concept... specially after seeing a video of commercial chick sexing where the males get ground up alive. So harsh.

Very nice you found a place that cares, they are out there if people look.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dark Ghost
Animal rights is a human concept, just as is human rights. What I mean by this is that outside of human civilisation these concepts do not exist. There is no such thing as inalienable rights for humans or animals; the society in which humans or animals live determines the scope of "rights" that they have access to.

Yes clearly no one anywhere has any rights and torture and pain are the way of our planet...nice.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Expat888
All my chickens are free range .. no coops .. though some get suicidal and end up lunch for the tigress and her cubs that live by the river ..

A farmer here has dogs trained to protect the free ranging chickens, seems to work very well.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join