It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

cigarette filters are worst for you than the actual tobacco

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   
The fiber glass in the filters gets into your lungs small microscopic particles of fiber glass allow the tar to stick to your lungs. The fiber glass can cause the same type of cancer that asbestos causes. So if you going to smoke which is still bad without the filter but just not as bad. Go with none filters or roll your own.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: truehumandna

Thanks for the tip, but you really should put a source link that points us to evidence of this claim.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 10:19 PM
link   
They are not made with fiberglass. They are made with Cellulose acetate.

Doesn't appear to be any health risks associated with cellulose acetate as a filter and it seems you can even eat the stuff and you will just pass it with any being absorbed by your body.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: NotMoose

Thanks for the tip, but you really should put a source link that points us to evidence of this claim.
I read it has fiber glass in the filters because I did a Google search because I had a hunch after examining the filter type in my title in Google and you will read the article i read too lazy to post link plus I'm on my phone and about to sleep mite post it later also people have claimed lungs feeling better after rolling own cigarettes plus it's way cheaper to roll your own.
edit on 30-12-2014 by truehumandna because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: xDeadcowx

www.longwood.edu...

95% of cigarette filters are made of cellulose acetate (a plastic), and the balance are made from papers and rayon

Other Filter components
The filters of some cigarettes, such as Parliament, also contain charcoal as an additional filtration agent. The "micronite filter" on Lorillard's' Kent brand cigarettes from 1952 to 1957 contained the deadliest form of asbestos - crocidolite. While advertisements at the time promoted the filter as making Kents healthier than other cigarettes, there are currently several lawsuits pending against Lorillard from families of smokers who died from a rare cancer caused primarily by crocidolite.

smokefree.gov...

Do menthol cigarettes contain fiberglass?
There is no evidence to suggest that fiberglass (used to make car parts) is in menthol cigarettes. However, there are more than 7,000 known chemical compounds, as well as toxic and carcinogenic agents, in tobacco and cigarette smoke [8]. Some of these include ammonia (used in fertilizer and household cleaning products), formaldehyde (used to preserve dead bodies), and methanol (used in antifreeze). All of these chemicals have been shown to cause cancer and other deadly diseases [9].

I remember this as an Urban Myth.

I'm not seeing any evidence that this is true.

edit on 30-12-2014 by KnightLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Wow same thing that's put into dead bodies more reason for me to quit smoking cigarettes for good this time.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Meh!

Regardless, it is an awesome site when I look at my psychiatrist and tell him/her that it is perfectly legal for me to commit suicide by smoking cigarettes and there isn't a god damn thing they can do about it!

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Ok well here is Something... So I do see the relevance now..

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

The term "fall-out" was defined in 1985 laboratory protocols of Philip Morris, Inc. as "loose fibers (or particles) that are drawn out of the filter during puffing of the cigarette".

Conclusions: We have shown that: (a) the filter of today's cigarette is defective; (b) Philip Morris, Inc has known of this filter defect for more than 40 years; (c) the existence of this filter defect has been confirmed by others in independent studies; (d) many methods exist to prevent and correct the filter defect, but have not been implemented; and (e) results of investigations substantiating defective filters have been concealed from the smoker and the health community. The tobacco industry has been negligent in not performing toxicological examinations and other studies to assess the human health risks associated with regularly ingesting and inhaling non-degradable, toxin coated cellulose acetate fragments and carbon microparticles and possibly other components that are released from conventional cigarette filters during normal smoking. The rationale for harm assessment is supported by the results of consumer surveys that have shown that the ingestion or inhalation of cigarette filter fibres are a health concern to nearly all smokers.

The Source you are most probably using is Natural News to tell you that cigarette filters contain fiber glass, but I just don't see that, and I don't like Natural News as a source btw.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   
not entirely relevent however
vapeing is the future i quit tobacco and all the nasty crap that goes with it 2 months ago
i feel 10 years younger no longer smell like the floor of a bus stop and can still get a nicotine hit.

the big tobacco co's can kiss my rear end!

i also understood the fibreglass story was a bit of an urban leg end too
but considering all the other crap that gets added to cigs it would not surprise me at all.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: KnightLight

Ok well here is Something...

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

The term "fall-out" was defined in 1985 laboratory protocols of Philip Morris, Inc. as "loose fibers (or particles) that are drawn out of the filter during puffing of the cigarette".

Conclusions: We have shown that: (a) the filter of today's cigarette is defective; (b) Philip Morris, Inc has known of this filter defect for more than 40 years; (c) the existence of this filter defect has been confirmed by others in independent studies; (d) many methods exist to prevent and correct the filter defect, but have not been implemented; and (e) results of investigations substantiating defective filters have been concealed from the smoker and the health community. The tobacco industry has been negligent in not performing toxicological examinations and other studies to assess the human health risks associated with regularly ingesting and inhaling non-degradable, toxin coated cellulose acetate fragments and carbon microparticles and possibly other components that are released from conventional cigarette filters during normal smoking. The rationale for harm assessment is supported by the results of consumer surveys that have shown that the ingestion or inhalation of cigarette filter fibres are a health concern to nearly all smokers.

The Source you are most probably using is Natural News to tell you that cigarette filters contain fiber glass, but I just don't see that, and I don't like Natural News as a source btw.
if my memory serves me right I think it was natural news. I got a pretty good memory btw. Why don't you like natural news? What's wrong with them? Also I think they add all them chemicals to cigarettes to make them more addicting.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Not only more addicting but to cause health problems so we can go to the.doctor and to kill us. Yep that's why they add the chemicals.maybe I'm just paranoid?
edit on 30-12-2014 by truehumandna because: typo

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: ShayneJUK
not entirely relevent however
vapeing is the future i quit tobacco and all the nasty crap that goes with it 2 months ago
i feel 10 years younger no longer smell like the floor of a bus stop and can still get a nicotine hit.

the big tobacco co's can kiss my rear end!

i also understood the fibreglass story was a bit of an urban leg end too
but considering all the other crap that gets added to cigs it would not surprise me at all.
I heard the e cigs are bad for your liver and kidneys because of the high levels of nicotine but they can't be any worst than cigarettes.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 01:42 AM
link   

I haven't smoked cigarettes inalmost ten years, I swapped to rolling my own. Within a fortnight I had expanded lung capacity. About 4 years ago, around this time of year, I was stuck at home due to heavy snow fall and couldn't get to the shops. I ran out of filters for my 'rollies'. Nothing for it but to roll without. 3-4 days later...lung capacity had increased again.
When I was smoking ciggys, I had the beginnings of a smokers cough, that stopped when I swapped to rolies.

Just saying....this has been my experience.

Jane

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Not all .. gudang garam .. djarum .. are natural tobacco and clove .. many chinese made cigarretes are all tobacco without the chemicals and additives .. far better and cheaper than western cigarretes ..

(post by yasminedrake removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

top topics

join