It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman Accidentally Shot Dead by Two-Year-Old Boy in Wal-Mart

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Did they stop adding safety switches to firearms?

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

originally posted by: skalla
a reply to: gortex

Is just sticking a gun in your handbag an acceptable (or indeed licensed/permitted) way to legally conceal a firearm?

I'm guessing that a two year old is pretty unlikely to be able to operate the safety, accidentally or otherwise.

This sounds horribly irresponsible on her part, and now two families are paying.

Very sad indeed.

Yes having a gun in a handbag is an acceptable/permitted way to conceal a firearm. It is out of site nothing says it needs to attached to your person.

I wish the article had stated the make model of the handgun or if it even had a locking safety.

Many models have the safety built into the trigger some just depend on the trigger pull.

This is sad I just wish there was more info to go on.

Other news article say that it was a low calibre weapon

www.ctvnews.ca...

My guess is that she had a revolver weapon in her handbag. Going by the number of compartments, pockets and zips that some handbags have, it would be really well concealed. Except when she put it down on the ground and junior sees a big shiny toy in her bag.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: skalla
a reply to: NavyDoc

Yeah, i don't recall blaming the gun or suggesting that peeps should not own them. Mainly because i didn't.

Sorry, not directed at you, just a general observation that popped in my head when I was reading your post. Just seemed a reasonable place to put it. Did not mean to offend.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Non taken

link   

originally posted by: Kuroodo

Revolvers don't have them.

Besides, just like parking brakes, one has to remember to put a safety on for it to work.

link   

originally posted by: DrJunk
This is just one of the 289 people that will be shot in the United States today.

Your point?

How many people will die today because of the "war on terror OR the war on drugs". Pick your poison, but we are all slaves, and as a slave myself, I choose to be able to defend myself!

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kuroodo

Some firearms do not have external safeties. Revolvers, for instance.

I removed the external thumb safety from my M&P9. External safeties have their place. But on my weapon they actually hinder the proper function of my weapon. I opted for a trigger upgrade that included a trigger safety.

But I also keep my weapon secured, on my person. While at home I keep my weapon inaccessible to anyone but my wife and I.
edit on pTue, 30 Dec 2014 16:37:45 -0600201530America/Chicago2014-12-30T16:37:45-06:0031vx12 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Accidents like this are always going to happen in countries that have a gun culture. The us has a gun culture and it can never be changed, hand guns have only only purpose which is to kill people.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: WilsonWilson
Accidents like this are always going to happen in countries that have a gun culture. The us has a gun culture and it can never be changed, hand guns have only only purpose which is to kill people.

Where are you from?

Bet there are people with guns where you live.......

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Lots of pistols (my S&W .40 for example) don't have a safety switch at all, it has "passive" safety features like an 8 lb. trigger pull to prevent accidental discharge but no lever.
Glock models are built this way as well.

My .22c has a safety switch and my .40 doesn't...hmmm.

Go NAVY.

edit on 30-12-2014 by abe froman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
To note:

I absolutely refuse to call this an "accident".

This is a negligent discharge by proxy.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman

Lots of pistols (my S&W .40 for example) don't have a safety switch at all, it has "passive" safety features like an 8 lb. trigger pull to prevent accidental discharge but no lever.
Glock models are built this way as well.

My .22c has a safety switch and my .40 doesn't...hmmm.

Go NAVY.

Well, yes, but they are still considered "safeties." A 2 year old pulling the trigger of a double action revolver or an 8lb passive safety? Unlikely. Was the revolver cocked? The semi-auto cocked but with the safety off?

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

This is just one of the 289 people that will be shot in the United States today.

Your point?

How many people will die today because of the "war on terror OR the war on drugs". Pick your poison, but we are all slaves, and as a slave myself, I choose to be able to defend myself!

I'm sorry, I thought this was a thread about someone that was killed by being shot with a gun. I fail to see how your question is relevant to that topic.
edit on 30-12-2014 by DrJunk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   

So many wars, so many deaths in the name of "defense".

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

I'm from the UK, yes people do have guns, and there are countries other than the US, where gun ownership is higher, but they tend to be rifles for hunting purposes. The US has a handgun culture, the main purpose of which.is to kill people.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

So many wars, so many deaths in the name of "defense".

But conversely, do you strip a million responsible CCW carriers for the irresponsible action of one idiot? It is illogical to point to this incident and suggest that it means CCW permits need to be removed form everyone just as it is illogical to point to a drunk driving fatality and suggest it means driver's licences must be removed for the thousands upon thousands of drivers who drive sober every day.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: WilsonWilson
a reply to: seeker1963

I'm from the UK, yes people do have guns, and there are countries other than the US, where gun ownership is higher, but they tend to be rifles for hunting purposes. The US has a handgun culture, the main purpose of which.is to kill people.

Actaully you can own handguns in the UK too and you can get concealed carry permits in many European countries (very difficult and have to be connected of course--the elite always exempt themselves from the rules the proles have to abide by) . Czech Republic has a great amount of handguns for self defense and CCW but less crime than most places in Europe. I think that most people don't understand the gun laws of their own countries or neighboring countries. Almost every Swiss person has a full auto in their closet. Those are not designed for hunting.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
If a child who was left in an idling automobile went and shifted the automobile into gear and then fell into the gas pedal causing it to accelerate into a tree and kill him, would you knee-jerk gun-grabbers suggest it was the AUTOMOBILES fault?

It is irresponsible parenting here, NOTHING ELSE. To say otherwise is the same as blaming the automobile in the scenario above.

Sounds stupid to blame the OBJECT instead of the actual cause, now doesnt it??

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

That is such a tragic story.

My thoughts to all families involved.

The world just seems to get crazier every damn day.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Your point?

I'm sorry, I thought this was a thread about someone that was killed by being shot with a gun. I fail to see how your question is relevant to that topic.

It is relevant to the topic due to your initial response to this thread!

Care to address it or deflect it?

Here, let me help you out!

This was your one sentence reply to the OP!

edit on 30-12-2014 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join