It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman Accidentally Shot Dead by Two-Year-Old Boy in Wal-Mart

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   
How does this happen if you are watching your child?
It doesn't.

Death by bad parenting.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: UmbraSumus

As far as I know, the right to bear arms does not extend to people who are a threat to society (such as criminals). The Constitution was written to protect the people as a whole above all.

Implying that the Constitution is nothing but a paper granting a mad scramble for guns is an insult to the Constitution's actual purpose.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman
How does this happen if you are watching your child?
It doesn't.

Death by bad parenting.

The details seem sketchy, but it seems the lady in question was in charge of a large group of kids, the assumption being that the poor kid who shot her was in her care at the time.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Carrying an unsecured weapon not on your person, is a good way for unauthorized individuals, to include small children, to create a deadly situation.

This could easily have read "criminal shoots ccw holder with her own unsecured gun".

Exercise responsibility. Get training.

Ask questions. There are tons of folks out there with valuable experience and knowledge. This tragedy was preventable by simply seeking some knowledge on the proper way to securely carry a firearm.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   
nvm
edit on 12/30/2014 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: skalla

I stand by my statement. The woman was inadequate to the child care task at hand.

Do the Darwin Awards have a babysitting category?

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockpaperhammock
a reply to: gortex

They will probably charge the toddler with murder....just cause...Murica!

Agreed. If the kid was other than Caucasian, the toddler has already been shot and killed while resisting arrest.

Derek

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   
That toddler will have a bright and promising career in law enforcement one day.

Also, on a serious note. .. buy guns with a safety and use them.
edit on 30-12-2014 by OrphanApology because: cellphone

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Is gun safety training mandatory?

If not - should it be?

It could only reduce the numbers of accidental deaths.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

Aye fair enough, but i can't help thinking that if she just stored her firearm more securely and had a safety on, then she could have changed the one year old's nappy without getting shot by the two year old in the process. As pointed out by vxn above, seems like anyone could have lifted the gun from her and done whatever they liked with it. Bloody irresponsible.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: skalla

Is just sticking a gun in your handbag an acceptable (or indeed licensed/permitted) way to legally conceal a firearm?

I'm guessing that a two year old is pretty unlikely to be able to operate the safety, accidentally or otherwise.

This sounds horribly irresponsible on her part, and now two families are paying.

Very sad indeed.

Yes having a gun in a handbag is an acceptable/permitted way to conceal a firearm. It is out of site nothing says it needs to attached to your person.

I wish the article had stated the make model of the handgun or if it even had a locking safety.

Many models have the safety built into the trigger some just depend on the trigger pull.

This is sad I just wish there was more info to go on.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Gun safety training is not mandatory UNLESS your are applying for a concealed weapons permit. This woman had a CCW which means she went through the minimum 8 hour class.

She was just negligent. In the Army weapons safety is enforced by the UCMJ and we still have negligent discharge of weapons all the time. Sometimes with deadly consequences.

There are always people who think it could never happen to them.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockpaperhammock

They will probably charge the toddler with murder....just cause...Murica!

Nah. The Grand Jury will rule the shooting justifiable.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Yes having a gun in a handbag is an acceptable/permitted way to conceal a firearm. It is out of site nothing says it needs to attached to your person. 

Permitted and acceptable are two different things. As a trainer, concealed and open carrier, and trained professional I find purse carry unacceptable. It is not secure, it is not easily accessible to the authorized operator of the weapon, and it is simply tactically negligent.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: skalla
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Well as a non-pistol owning brit i'm only making assumptions about how it works in the US, but it aint the way i would choose to do things. My own feelings on firearms in the US has changed a bit since reading US posters here, but this poor woman just gives responsible folks a bad rep by the looks of things.

Irresponsible people die for being irresponsible all the time be they being irresponsible with their automobile, chain saw, kitchen knives, or guns. Not the fault of the gun nor the fault of CCW permit system (remember that millions of Americans carry their guns under state CCW permits every day and this is a single incident out of those millions of permit holders). Fluke incident caused by negligence.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

As far as I know, the right to bear arms does not extend to people who are a threat to society (such as criminals). The Constitution was written to protect the people as a whole above all.

Implying that the Constitution is nothing but a paper granting a mad scramble for guns is an insult to the Constitution's actual purpose.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   
She took the time to secure her son in the shopping cart, but left an unsecured gun there for him to play with. You can't get anymore stupid than that. Just throw your unsecured pistol in with the lipstick and set it next to your kid. Jesus.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

Yeah, i don't recall blaming the gun or suggesting that peeps should not own them. Mainly because i didn't.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
This is just one of the 289 people that will be shot in the United States today.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Did they stop adding safety switches to firearms?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join