It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If There Were No Consciousness What Would Be The Point Of Material Existence?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: MissSmartypants

Don't get me wrong....i am in the "consuming interest" camp. In particular, the role of consciousness in the individual, in the system, and in the universe.

But once I have that information, if i ever were to, I am not sure what it would do for me.

Then again, upon the discovery of the electron, it was likely hard to imagine what could be done with that information, too. And look now....the world is run by the electron.
I guess what I'm really pondering is what is the role of love in awareness. My cat loves me dearly and not just because I take care of her because she takes being fed as a given...so what is the relevance of love in the mix?

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   

The point is usually the sharp bit.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Is existence predicated upon being "material"?

What is the definition of "non-material"?

What's "Love" got to do with it?

These are questions that have been asked since the dawn of self awareness.....

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Blarneystoner

"Sound waves" are merely interference patterns. "Sounds" are the perception of those interference patterns manifested by the brain of the "observer".

I think sound is the sound waves, which may or may not be heard by an ear.

sound |sound|
noun
1 vibrations that travel through the air or another medium and can be heard when they reach a person's or animal's ear: light travels faster than sound.
• a thing that can be heard: she heard the sound of voices in the hall | don't make a sound.
• the area or distance within which something can be heard: we were always within sound of the train whistles.
2 (also musical sound)sound produced by continuous and regular vibrations, as opposed to noise.
• short for speech sound.
3 music, speech, and sound effects when recorded, used to accompany a film or video production, or broadcast: [ as modifier ] : a sound studio.
• broadcasting by radio as distinct from television.
• the distinctive quality of the music of a particular composer or performer or of the sound produced by a particular musical instrument: the sound of the Beatles.
• (sounds) informal music, especially popular music: sounds of the sixties.
4 the ideas or impressions conveyed by words: you've had a hard day, by the sound of it.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

I wish I could think of a snappy comeback to that but I can't so you win. Except...what is the benefit of humor to our survival?

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Aphorism

Ok... all of those definitions require an ear to hear.... if there is no ear to hear... there is no sound... only vibrations (interference patterns)

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aphorism

"Sound waves" are merely interference patterns. "Sounds" are the perception of those interference patterns manifested by the brain of the "observer".

I think sound is the sound waves, which may or may not be heard by an ear.

sound |sound|
noun
1 vibrations that travel through the air or another medium and can be heard when they reach a person's or animal's ear: light travels faster than sound.
• a thing that can be heard: she heard the sound of voices in the hall | don't make a sound.
• the area or distance within which something can be heard: we were always within sound of the train whistles.
2 (also musical sound)sound produced by continuous and regular vibrations, as opposed to noise.
• short for speech sound.
3 music, speech, and sound effects when recorded, used to accompany a film or video production, or broadcast: [ as modifier ] : a sound studio.
• broadcasting by radio as distinct from television.
• the distinctive quality of the music of a particular composer or performer or of the sound produced by a particular musical instrument: the sound of the Beatles.
• (sounds) informal music, especially popular music: sounds of the sixties.
4 the ideas or impressions conveyed by words: you've had a hard day, by the sound of it.
yes the sound waves will still exist and can act upon the tree's surroundings..in which case the surroundings would be the observer.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   

some of what we call "love" is neurochemical response. That is kind of cold and sterile when you think about it....but the emotion of love is still an emotion. And all emotions are neurochemical.

That said, there is what I believe to be a basis beneath the emotion. I think that having a third person perspective may be the source of this, but in my more romantic moments I like to think that it is our true self speaking through the human animal. Because all animals, in general, seem to express varying levels of empathy and kindness. Killing for play is not common, or is less common.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: MissSmartypants

originally posted by: chr0naut

I wish I could think of a snappy comeback to that but I can't so you win. Except...what is the benefit of humor to our survival?
Without humor I would have wandered into the Aokigahara Forest years ago and never come out. Laughter is what keeps people sane.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Ok... all of those definitions require an ear to hear.... if there is no ear to hear... there is no sound... only vibrations (interference patterns)

Why do they require an ear? Yes ears are required to hear sounds, but not to make sounds exist. Sound is sound waves through a medium, whether there is an ear there to hear it or not.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   

yes the sound waves will still exist and can act upon the tree's surroundings..in which case the surroundings would be the observer.

...but you've contradicted yourself.

if there were no life in the universe and only inanimate material objects interacting with each other what would be the point of existence?

Don't you see that?

Sound requires an observer. How can an inanimate object be an observer? The fact that vibration can interact with objects does not make the vibration sound. Sound is the auditory perception of vibration by an observer. An ear to hear is an essential part of the equation.

I think the confusion lies with your understanding of the definition of sound.

edit on 30-12-2014 by Blarneystoner because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blarneystoner

Again in quantum physics the observer or ear in this case doesn't have to be human or animal. Anything that the sound waves have an effect on, air for example, "hears" the sound.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   

The best way to define what sound is is to consider it in terms of phonons. Sound is a disturbance in the air.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Sounds travel through the air, and can be heard by an ear, not must be heard by an ear.
edit on 30-12-2014 by Aphorism because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
Sound is sound waves through a medium, whether there is an ear there to hear it or not.

What is the medium?
Are the waves in the ocean made of anything other than the ocean?

What is it that vibrates to turn waves into sound?
edit on 30-12-2014 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: MissSmartypants

originally posted by: Blarneystoner

Again in quantum physics the observer or ear in this case doesn't have to be human or animal. Anything that the sound waves have an effect on, air for example, "hears" the sound.

Sound is the auditory perception of vibration...

link   

@if there were no life in the universe and only inanimate material objects interacting with each other what would be the point of existence?

Energy storage for later usage MissSmartypants, would be my guess

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

What is it that vibrates to turn waves into sound?

The physical.

Are the waves in the ocean made of anything other than the ocean?

They are made of nothing more than the ocean. I don't understand the point.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

some of what we call "love" is neurochemical response. That is kind of cold and sterile when you think about it....but the emotion of love is still an emotion. And all emotions are neurochemical.

That said, there is what I believe to be a basis beneath the emotion. I think that having a third person perspective may be the source of this, but in my more romantic moments I like to think that it is our true self speaking through the human animal. Because all animals, in general, seem to express varying levels of empathy and kindness. Killing for play is not common, or is less common.
There are those who say our consciousness or mind exists outside of our physical brain and our brain with all its neuro chemical goings on is merely a receiver which enables us to access our mind in which case love would exist outside and independently of our neuro chemistry.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ophiuchus 13

@if there were no life in the universe and only inanimate material objects interacting with each other what would be the point of existence?

Energy storage for later usage MissSmarty?pants, would be my guess
So the universe is just one real big battery? Most people have a backup battery to use while the other one recharges so does that mean there are other universes/batteries? As for me I hope we get to power some really cool toy and not God's dustbuster.
edit on 12/30/2014 by MissSmartypants because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join