It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Streisand's Law and social disruption by the young

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   
In this society of status quo being supplanted by the young, new money over old empire etc. We see a new way of looking at the world through the eyes of the idealists! This is the world that brings me out of my cynisims and I hope that it does the same for you.

The Streisand effect is an Internet-coined name (although the effect predates the popular usage of the Internet) for a phenomenon whereby an attempt to censor or gag a report has led to great interest in the story or work that nobody would have noticed had they not attempted to ban or censor it in the first place.
Some people have proposed that it be called Streisand's Law on account of how inevitable the effect is

Aktarer Zaman launched a new travel site called Skiplagged.com in 2013, which offers cheaper tickets using a simple strategy that is often overlooked. But United and Orbitz sued him. Therefore prompting the Streisand effect!
Another better known example of this is Uber, Lyft when it concerns the taxi-municipality monopoly. Go ahead and add as many examples that you like, I await your opinions on this and the effect on your immovable sense of cynicism!!

edit on 30-12-2014 by Emeraldous because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Should we take our best ideas from ATS outside our little box?
What is Thunderclap?
Thunderclap is the first crowd-speaking platform that helps people be heard by saying something together.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Does the Interview count?

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Sure it does, I have my own opinion about how it disrupted the traditional ways but I'd like to hear yours too. My opinion revolves about respect for other cultures versus our own striving for defining free speech. We constantly push boundaries and have not experiences tangible blow back where it hurts, the pocketbook. Or in the case of Muhammad's image, our lives.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Does the Interview count?

If not for the controversy I never would have heard of it. I ignore commercials on the grounds that the one selling something is the least qualified to advertise it, though. So, I might not be qualified to answer that...

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   
ahh social disruption, somuch energy is pent up. Just waiting to arc down the line
2nd

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 11:45 PM
link   

The Streisand effect is the phenomenon whereby an attempt to hide, remove, or censor a piece of information has the unintended consequence of publicizing the information more widely, usually facilitated by the Internet.

It is named after American entertainer Barbra Streisand, whose 2003 attempt to suppress photographs of her residence in Malibu, California inadvertently drew further public attention to it. Similar attempts have been made, for example, in cease-and-desist letters to suppress numbers, files, and websites. Instead of being suppressed, the information receives extensive publicity and media extensions such as videos and spoof songs, often being widely mirrored across the Internet or distributed on file-sharing networks.

wikipedia : streaisand effect

Imagine the mass disappointment that swept across DC and surrounding estates when the files that Assange and Snowden released didn't find themselves made into videos and spoof songs, often being widely mirrored. Nope. Instead the internet heard the big "meh" of a generation. And I say disappointment because even satire has a kind of fame that strokes some kinds of egos. Did no one really care? But we made such a big show of wanting the information hidden. I thought ... I thought the Streaisand Effect ...

How long did, and do, people think that Sadam never gassed anyone, and that Weapons of Mass Destruction in Iraq was somehow a fraud? In this video the press keeps hammering the point. It just won't go away. WMD. WMD. Alciada. WMD.

Gun control legislation kept blowing up in the faces of politicos.

Google censored by the PR of China. People don't talk about it anymore, but everyone knew for a while.

The Mayan 2012 hysteria. The more we told people it wouldn't happen, the more believers there were.

This English peace officer is reading his instructions on how NOT to leak information to the press. The press got to read the back side of the instructions.

Let's have the world cup in Brazil. And since the ghettos are so deadly lets crack down on the local drug dealers to make sure we have a good image.

Then a nine year old boy was shot on his way to church shielding his mother and sister with his body, during a police shoot out with some cartel members.

day 1 protests and rioting.

day 2 rioting and protests

Day 3 protests.

It is amazing how badly wrong image management can go.

Mike Grouchy

edit on 9-1-2015 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-1-2015 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Thank you brother for your kind offerings
2nd line

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I'm wrapping my mind around this a bit, so tell me again why people try to censor? Damn Dirrty Apes!

Psychological projection is a theory in psychology in which humans defend themselves against unpleasant impulses by denying their existence in themselves, while attributing them to others.[1] For example, a person who is rude may constantly accuse other people of being rude.

top topics

join