It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking Now! Riot Police Lining Up in Moscow: Protests Over the Jailing of Dissident Oleg Navalny.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ancient Champion

originally posted by: BornAgainAlien
a reply to: Chadwickus

America is flawed for sure, but they don't lock up people who criticise and oppose the government, if they did the other ATS idol, Ron Paul would have been locked up a long time ago.

I must have dreamed this

Do you remember the part in the dream where known terrorist are locked up there or did you block that out?

Lol doesn't matter how many innocent people get locked up as long as you get 1 terrorist huh?

The government has illegally detained thousands of people, the most notorious example being the men at Guantánamo. The Center for Constitutional Rights has fought for the right to due process, filing countless cases on behalf of these men and others swept up in the so-called War on Terror. CCR has challenged immigration sweeps, ghost detentions, extraordinary rendition, and every other illegal program the government has devised to lock people up and throw away the key. CCR believes we all become less safe and less free when we trample on the rights of others.

ccrjustice.org...

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

But since he's a dissident of Russia, he's a vile Nazi, and felonious vagabond, a CIA plant, and everything in between.

Since we know US has been openly supporting numerous of very dubious people in the past it`s not that far fetched.

Isn`t the US supporting the Saudi Royal family, Syrian rebels, neo-nazi groups in the Ukraine and in the past all kinds of dictators like Saddam Hussain, etc. ?

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: BornAgainAlien

Well if the best examples are Guantanamo bay and a random OWS photo, then yu lot aren't doing particularly well.

Seriously, you guys better be careful or you'll be next!

edit on 30/12/14 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Dabrazzo

So what's the context of that photo?

I know it's from a OWS protest in New York, but I bet another million internets that she, and the others with her were released without any charges..

So your point kinda sucks

edit on 30/12/14 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phatdamage
i wonder how much of this is just the west blowing it out of proportion? if this happened in another country, would it be all over the news?

i'm no fan of Putin but this is making him look like he has lost control and is removing opposition or people that stand against him,

is this the beginning of the end, or just the next chapter?

Oh, for sure. Could you imagine the propaganda if country unfriendly to the US was reporting the US police state/brutality issues lately? Wow, the spin that could be put on that really has no limit.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   
People seem to be missing the more important part of this story. It doesn't matter whether or not Navalny was actually guilty or if he was arrested simply because he speaks out against Putin. The important part is that there is clearly a large number of Russians that believe Navalny is simply being targeted for his anti-Putin stance. Even a year ago I don't know if we would have seen a crowd anywhere near this large show up. Putin's facade of infallibility is beginning to crack and his people are realizing he is just another corrupt politician.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Since there are people trying to derail another thread, Lets get back on topic.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

Seriously, you guys better be careful or you'll be next!

WTF ?

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

There have been in the past such protest...

Russia's anti-Putin protests grow

Source

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   

and in the past all kinds of dictators like Saddam Hussain, etc. ?

He was not only supported but also supplied by Russia as well.

Just where and the hell to do you think all those Russian made Tanks, Jets, Helicopters, BMPS, RPGs, SCUD missiles and launchers *Not to mention: boots, belt buckles, helmets and sock came from?

Goodwill?

edit on 30-12-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: MALBOSIA

i think the issue is with today's world, is most people don't care what the rest of the world is doing, and then you have USA and UK etc, they use every opportunity to show the world how badly other countries are doing, and in the case of NK, Russia, Iran and China, most days our papers are full of these countries actions,

this news about Navalny is just a chance for our MSM to show the zombie masses what they want them to see.

no good can come of this in the end..............

edit on 30/12/14 by Phatdamage because: can't spell

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Ancient Champion

Agreed (and Sorry)

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Phatdamage

BS

RT AKA *Russia Today which reports on just about everywhere other than Russia, is absolutely over the top obsessed with ANYTHING wrong in the US/West.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

yes but compared to the rest i.e. BBC, CNN, ABC News, CBS, Fox News, MSNBC, Google News, NBC News to name a few do this,

and yes i agree RT do return the favour, but when it comes to RT reporting on Russia they do so with tinted glasses,

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   

What has that to do with my point about US having been involved with lots of very dubious persons as to it being very plausible the guy is also very shady?

...or are we simply back at the 'Good Old' pointing towards others to marginalize our own countries wrong doing again?

edit on 30 12 2014 by BornAgainAlien because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   

What has that to do with my point about US having been involved with lots of very dubious persons as to it being very plausible the guy is also very shady?

You tell me.

The US dealt with Saddam = Bad

Russia dealt with Saddam = ZZZZZzzzzZZZZzzzZZZZzzz...

...or are we simply back at the 'Good Old' pointing towards others to marginalize your own countries wrong doing again?

Marginalizing?

I was just filling the massive Russian blank for ya.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
I really think some people’s worldview is so anti-America they seem unable to understand that many people in other countries risk their lives, of their own volition, to fight corruption and oppression. Russia is a corrupt society and under Putin is becoming increasingly autocratic and oppressive.

Being an activist in Russia is a precarious and dangerous occupation. Not only have journalists been murdered and brutalised when revealing corruption, but any type of activism, environmental or political criticism that puts pressure on the autocrats and kleptomaniacs in charge of Russia runs all sorts of risks. This story is just another one to add to the sad list.

People who blame the US for the behaviour of the tainted Russian judiciary and the corrupt officials and police are living in dream land, as are those people who thinks anyone who fights for their rights in Russia as a CIA plant.

Regards

I dont think it is Anti American or foolish to think NATO wont be string the pot to make it worse.

In fact Id support it. Putin is a mad dog, if we can get Russia own people to remove him good and it really the only realistic way to do it too without turning the world into radioactive glass.

Id rather the CIA and my own country's MI6 be spending resources trying to remove a crazy president of a world power who is a ACTUAL threat to my country than meddling in the ME pissing off goat herders.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

What blank ?

I was merely pointing out something as a response about if Oleg Navalny was possible also dubious.

So I don`t get your connection to it, or you just wanted to show US is not that bad because other countries have done bad things in the past too...?

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   
thief should sit in jail, a man guilty in the riots as a terrorist to be killed on the spot or in the US anyway? in US have no political prisoners because they killed or imprisoned on false criminal charges

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: mangust69
thief should sit in jail, a man guilty in the riots as a terrorist to be killed on the spot or in the US anyway? in US have no political prisoners because they killed or imprisoned on false criminal charges

Then why isn't Ron Paul dead or in jail? While he does get shafted in the elections, At least he can get on tv and speak out aganist the current president.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join