It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Is On The Verge Of 2 Trade Deals That Could Transform The US Economy

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Will Globalization be Obama's greatest foreign policy legacy? With 2 deals that are close to fruition it seems that may be the case. The deals ib question are the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal involving a dozen countries from Asia and the Americas, and the Trans-Atlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP) between the United States and the European Union.

The two trans-oceanic pacts that would link us to Asia and Europe, though, would resurrect the momentum for a more comprehensive global agreement. They would also deliver considerable economic benefits. The Trans-Pacific deal (TPP) will boost U.S. annual gains by $77 billion, and Japan’s by $104 billion. The TTIP deal, by integrating markets in the U.S. and the EU, would generate $130 billion annually in economic gains for the United States, and $162 billion for Europe.

As such, it is estimated that TTIP will boost U.S. household incomes by $865 annually and create 750,000 new U.S. jobs, while TPP would generate about $1,230 per household by 2025–a great boost without a dime of deficit spending, and a strong bonus on top of the $10,000 annual income gains American households have already scored due to post-war trade opening.

This will be a landmark deal for Obama and his presidency, be-it successful. I think it will end his presidency on a very positive note for him. I take note that some if not all of the BRICS are involved in this deal. This is a very positive sign. What says ATS?

www.businessinsider.com...

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

The Obama haters will be along soon to tell you that this means sod all, & the estimates will be questioned ferociously.

Personally, this is just as big as Russia's deals with China & India.
edit on 30-12-2014 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

+26 more 
posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Anybody detect a NWO consolidation effort taking place from both sides of the "iron curtain".....?
This is nothing to do with Obama personally ,He just works for Goldman Sachs and the rest of the Bankers........

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I am personally MORE interested to see what the Nicaragua Canal will do to these trade relations. That is being built by a Hong Kong company and will kill the Panama Canal operation pretty quickly. With someone other than the US owning the main canal, which will become the Nicaragua Canal, it will make shipping efforts by the US a lot more interesting. Russia is heavily involved in the Nicaragua Canal building as well, which began December of last year and is slated to finish within 5 years. The Hong Kong company behind it has a 50 year concession, followed by another 50 once completed. That would KILL the US trade relations with everyone.

link   
Many will cry Obama is da devil!

Many of those will be Repubs.

+15 more 
link   

I am not sure where or how your source came up with those figures?

So far the TPP has been highly secret with hardly any info at all about the specifics.

All I have seen is it clamps down on copyright violations and gives more power to corporations. But again, where is the information of this act and if it is so secret, why?

Other than that, IMO, if it was so great, not sure why the secrecy.......

If you can find anything about these actual trade agreements, please feel free to put them up. Otherwise, this article is baseless.

Here is a short video, but again, how do we know what is truth, when there is so much secrecy behind this?

edit on 30-12-2014 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-12-2014 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
When exactly have these world trade agreements ever helped the United states?

According to the link provided in the article, the projected world economic gain is 0.4%.
The United States economic gain is 0.7%
That is after ten years.
Those are not exactly earth shattering numbers.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
The whole success of the deal and the amount of money involved, depends on how many they get to join. That's IF they can get them on board. Looks like there are several different scenarios and this is the most optimistic.

asiapacifictrade.org...

This note reports on new simulations of alternative configurations of the TPP agreement. The
results confirm our earlier findings that the benefits of the TPP are reasonably large, but their
scale ultimately depends on whether large economies like Japan, Korea and eventually China
participate. A parallel note describes new scenarios calculated for the Asian track

No matter whose idea it is, if it benefits the U.S. and brings in more jobs, good on him.

+7 more 
posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
When exactly have these world trade agreements ever helped the United states?

Exactly.

It only helps the largest corporations bottom lines and destroys workers salaries.

Monsanto, Conagra, and related will be jumping for joy. Paper traders and bankers will be jumping for joy.

We idiots who work for a paycheck will not.

For you fools cheering Globalism, Do you understand that Welfare recipients in America are in the top 10% of wage earners globally?

Part of Globalism will be the the redistribution of wealth, especially in the form of workers salaries. Do you think they will come up to our level in the West or do you think ours will drop?

edit on 30-12-2014 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
Many will cry Obama is da devil!

Many of those will be Repubs.

I will say this of him. And I'm a Canadian.

Peace

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

I am not sure where or how your source came up with those figures?

So far the TPP has been highly secret with hardly any info at all about the specifics.

All I have seen is it clamps down on copyright violations and gives more power to corporations. But again, where is the information of this act and if it is so secret, why?

Other than that, IMO, if it was so great, not sure why the secrecy.......

If you can find anything about these actual trade agreements, please feel free to put them up. Otherwise, this article is baseless.

Here is a short video, but again, how do we know what is truth, when there is so much secrecy behind this?

Finally a voice of reason in this thread.

TPP = NAFTA on steroids. Only good for the US and crap for everyone else so if people have a hate on for the US now...wait until this rolls out.

Peace

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
If tpp passes everyones fooked ..

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Here is an article showing how the Democrats are furious over the TPP.

Members of Congress have been provided with only limited access to the negotiation documents. Rep. Alan Grayson (D-Fla.) told HuffPost on Monday that he viewed an edited version of the negotiation texts last week, but that secrecy policies at the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative created scheduling difficulties that delayed his access for nearly six weeks. The Obama administration has barred any Congressional staffers from reviewing the full negotiation text and prohibited members of Congress from discussing the specific terms of the text with trade experts and reporters. Staffers on some committees are granted access to portions of the text under their committee's jurisdiction.

"This, more than anything, shows the abuse of the classified information system," Grayson told HuffPost. "They maintain that the text is classified information. And I get clearance because I'm a member of Congress, but now they tell me that they don't want me to talk to anybody about it because if I did, I'd be releasing classified information."

How and why the administration decides to make information classified has come under intense scrutiny in recent months, after the Associated Press learned that the Department of Justice had been monitoring the records of more than 20 phone numbers -- including the personal phones of reporters and editors -- as part of a government leak investigation. Edward Snowden's recent disclosures of two broad National Security Agency surveillance programs to The Guardian and The Washington Post have sparked a heated debate over what kinds of leaks should be prosecuted as criminal.

Alan Grayson On Trans-Pacific Partnership: Obama Secrecy Hides 'Assault On Democratic Government'

Now here is an interesting video of Grayson talking about the TPP.

Sounds like handing over power to multinationals and the World bank according to what he saying.......

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   
The TTIP is by far one of the most insidious power grabs the corporations have ever attempted. Are people too stupid to understand what is happening?, we are making enemies of Russia in order to herald in these new corporate laws that do nothing but enslave us all further to the machine. Yeah keep worshiping these peoples as your saviors, Obama can burn in hell like the rest of those crooks.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

The Obama haters will be along soon to tell you that this means sod all, & the estimates will be questioned ferociously.

Personally, this is just as big as Russia's deals with China & India.

These trade deals are supported by the establishment of BOTH parties. Bush would have passed these in a heartbeat if this was ready in his term.

As always, when you have bi-partisan agreement, that usually means they are going to screw the common citizen.

Mcconnell and Boehner are probably cheering Obama on to get this one done.
edit on 30-12-2014 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I am going to say this is about as positive for us as NAFTA was. Anyone who believes this poli-tick or any supporter of these trade deals are certainly not seeing it for what they really are. This is going to create 730,000 jobs? Wow...how much bullcrap are we going to have to wade through before they start handing out shovels and claim them to be "jobs"?

Remember when Clinton sold the US out to the Chinese in the 90's? Everyone thought it would bring jobs and boost the economy. No. All it did was open the flood gates for Chinese goods to be freely sold and strewn about without tariffs or tax.

Now I can't go to the store without seeing Made in the P.R.C., or China. Everything was supposedly going to get better after those "monumental" trade deals.

Yeah. Things got better alright. For China.

Screw these trade agreements and all those who support them. You all can take your globalization and shove it. All you are doing is supporting their cause.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
This will be great for Big business like Monsanto and their ilk. It will widen Big business control over us. NAFTA on steroids.

A lot of local small family farms are very concerned about this. I like to buy local when I can and I like the organic, hormone free, self sustaining side of it all. These local growers are convinced that these implementations will slowly squeeze them the rest of the way out chain. They, especially Monsanto, will have more control over patents on plants.

Considering the laws are written by big business, and the bansksters, its no wonder we, the 'useless eaters', will get the short end of the #.

It wouldn't matter if its Obama or Bush or Santa Clause in office. This will only make the 1% richer and make our lives worse. People really need to get over thinking one party is better than another. It is an ILLUSION.
Novus ordo seclorum

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Yeah I agree, my point was merely that it is gonna be good for the economy itself...

You're correct that it doesn't always work out for the little man.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: jude11

I'll say this.

He wasn't as bad as Bush.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

TTIP - How We're Lied To About Food: Russell Brand The Trews

I speak to Helena Norberg-Hodge, an analyst of the impact of the global economy on cultures and agriculture & a pioneer of the localisation movement.

Worth a watch.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join