It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are people so easily offended?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

Yeah. I've been watching closely, and believe me, you can literally watch it spread if you care to and even learn to be able to predict the source and the path it will take, and thinking a lot about this very thing for the past maybe 13 years or so, and have come to much the same conclusion as you have.

Mob mentality fueled to the n--th power by information (generally false or simply rants around a kernel of nothing) spread via social media riles them up. They believe they are informed but they are not yet rant away, add more of the same nothingness and that just fuels the fires even more. And truly, they mostly (broad-brush, sweeping generalization here, but I believe it to be pretty accurate) don't really even want to discuss issues, they just want to clump on to the perceived "popular" view, stick to it, and attack en masse anyone who doesn't immediately agree. This is a very scary kind of ignorance to me.

And spreads beyond being offended to indignation, anger, and even persecution complexes. And in another odd way, it's false empowerment, makes people believe what they have to say (valid or not, true or not) is both important and the only way of thinking that can possibly be correct. Most of them really can't hold a valid discussion or debate either.

I see these behaviors in many, many of my family, friends, acquaintances, coworkers, and random people online, and there's always that common denominator: They get too much or maybe all their information from social media. And these behaviors, truth be told, are exactly what make me avoid pretty much shun and avoid all social media like the plague. Because it is a plaque. There's a reason they call things viral. It really is an invasive, infectious disease of the mind.

Sorry if that's a bit disjointed or sounds condescending or judgmental in any way, but it is what I've observed and how I feel in the world today. But then I'm way more observer/analyzer/doer than talker for talking's sake.

edit on 12/30/2014 by ~Lucidity because: my keyboard is spelling thing funny this morning.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   
This has been a topic for me lately, too. The most miniscule things seem to set people off. It's as if everyone is running around looking for ways to be offended. I've had to really keep a tight reign on my mouth with clientele.

You might enjoy this excellent thread done by Hefficide a few years ago...
Are You Offended??? So What!!!

edit on 12/30/2014 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I think a lot of offending is pretending so as to shut down or derail meaningful discussion.

As an example I try to expose the other side of the worlds opinion about American endless wars waged for no just cause and thats when you get the , How can you be so insensitive? routine by those that want to paint the argument in the light of the bad guys are the only ones killing children and all our causes that result in the same thing are the humanitarian ones.

imo

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I'm not a big fan of this guy but this is good:

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Offended? Offended? Who the f!~* said i am easily offended? Huh?

Sorry, couldn't resist.......

I blame social media. Not sure why but i do. Think on those of us old enough. Before the rise of Facebook and the like, yes we had people in society that got easily offended but not so many and certainly not enough to affect the rest of us.

Post social media, everything offends someone. Think of some of the contirved media stances over the course of the past year, all based on people "offended" over something they have seen or read......or, even better yet, these days it also easy to be offended by something you have only "heard about". As below:

"Yes i heard about that, i am really offended about it".
"You mean you haven't actually read it?"
"Well....no....but i am still offended about it"
"How do you know if you haven't seen it?"
"Ur........."

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
The programming via television is the reason why people are so easily offended.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dark Ghost
Why is it that people are so easily offended these days? I'm not saying the line of what constitutes appropriate humour or entertainment is never crossed, but why on Earth are people in general so easily offended? Some might say "because the issue does not affect you directly" but this is simply not true. I have, like everyone else, certain issues close to my heart, but I would never dream of basking in gross levels of victim-hood like some of the people out there.

We live in a society where the majority of us are extremely self-centered. We no longer see our survival as based on the group dynamic. We think our happiness and success lies solely within our own two hands and any one or anything that is an obstacle to what we desire, is the enemy and must be dealt with, corrected.

As a child, every weekend my parents had friends over. They played cards, ate, drank, danced and talked. Our house was the go-to house because my Mom was a nurse, my Dad was federally employed, and they had more children to pack up and haul about, so it was easier for them to accommodate their friends than the other way around.

They worked together, played together, knew each other, so they could converse and joke with each other without creating offense. If someone accidentally hurt the feelings of another, it was usually observable, quickly and easily corrected, because they were neighbors and friends. Harmony and community growth was a benefit to all and desired by the majority. You helped your neighbor because it benefited the community and as an extension of the community, it also benefited you. Keeping up with the Jones has a negative connotation but there were many plus sides to this behavior. Community growth and improvement was a good side effect; wanting to have as much, or more than, your neighbor, generally led the community toward prosperity.

Today’s society, whether through the deception brought on by advertising or by media consumption, is made up of a large number of people that believe they are special and entitled to have anything they desire. They believe the world is of their creation and their happiness and the happiness of their offspring is the reason for your existence. Anyone that is not part of the formula in their equation to happiness, is at best a nuisance which requires elimination, and at worse, an enemy and may require extermination. They are gifted or in possession of “The Secret” to everything. The “everything” is “their” happiness, “their” desires.

It sounds funny but it is a serious problem, when a large portion of the society in which you live is narcissistic. A society can survive and thrive when you have one or two families that considers themselves above the rest. A society will become diminished, when those numbers exceed the average. A society is doomed when that number becomes a majority.

Our numbers are high and continuing to rise because too many people through jealousy, greed and ignorance have allowed themselves to be duped. We have forfeited the things that made us truly special. We are no longer special. We are pathetic.

I stand ready to face my punishment from those that my post has offended.

edit on 30-12-2014 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Fixed quote.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
It is how they have learned to manipulate and get their way, the perpetually offended.

guilt trippin

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flavian
Offended? Offended? Who the f!~* said i am easily offended? Huh?

Sorry, couldn't resist.......

I blame social media. Not sure why but i do. Think on those of us old enough. Before the rise of Facebook and the like, yes we had people in society that got easily offended but not so many and certainly not enough to affect the rest of us.

Post social media, everything offends someone. Think of some of the contirved media stances over the course of the past year, all based on people "offended" over something they have seen or read......or, even better yet, these days it also easy to be offended by something you have only "heard about". As below:

"Yes i heard about that, i am really offended about it".
"You mean you haven't actually read it?"
"Well....no....but i am still offended about it"
"How do you know if you haven't seen it?"
"Ur........."

They are responding the way they have been programmed to respond. Surely there is an app that simulates critical thinking, somewhere that will do the job for them.

It is about providing the masses with the next device that will continue feeding the illusion they are so special that everyone is waiting with baited breath for their next duck lipped photo from their last trip to the bathroom. It is their responsibility to share photos of their every meal before others will be able to sit down to eat.

I don't understand why they haven't noticed that they are so busy uploading every detail of their lives that no one has time to see anything any one else is posting. If they aren't interested in every detail being posted by other people, why do they think any one cares if they are sitting on the beach or on the toilet?

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

I think a lot of people are easily offended because of stress...overall society is very stressful...many people do not know how to handle all the stress coming their way...so they are extra sensitive.

I am not responsible for another persons words or actions...I am only responsible for my reactions to them.

I think if people worked on handling stress better... their reactions to people and situations would be more confident and strong.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
You know as well as I do that political correctness is the real issue here, and the origins of political correctness is cultural Marxism.

It's not really a secret, only to people that refuse to face it. It's essentially psychological warfare, using the useful idiots to introduce unnecessary strife, break down tradition, police thoughts and polarize and divide in every conceivable way.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   

In order to stop dissent dead in its tracks.

In evolutionary terms, human disgust and nausea may be the foundation upon which morality was built. But when they display this same offence towards their own reactions to words, which are intrinsically not disgusting, we find that their offence is not natural, but synthetic, and instilled by an arguably weakened culture, who have become fearful of words. This sort of disgust is the foundation of another type of morality—superstition.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Paradoxically, I'm offended by folks who take offense.

There is nothing to ever be offended over... there are unpleasant things, sure, but nothing to get one's underwear in a bunch over... but I'm open to learning about something truly offensive.
edit on 12/30/2014 by Baddogma because: find to take

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aphorism

In order to stop dissent dead in its tracks.

In evolutionary terms, human disgust and nausea may be the foundation upon which morality was built. But when they display this same offence towards their own reactions to words, which are intrinsically not disgusting, we find that their offence is not natural, but synthetic, and instilled by an arguably weakened culture, who have become fearful of words. This sort of disgust is the foundation of another type of morality—superstition.

Your response may shed some light on why people are so often offended or angered by the words and actions of others, yet find no fault in themselves, when they are the ones that have demonstrated the action or spoken the words deemed offensive.

Why they are offended when people are so ignorant, insensitive or rude when the lack the ability to understand what was said or done when they are the ones doing the offending.

This is an unnatural, synthetic by-product of a weakened culture, that places more value on self satisfaction than on morals or ethics. The "me" generation has grown-up appetite and their appetite is ferocious. They have become cannibals and have no qualms about eating their young.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Because people were conditioned to think that way. I don't know if it's ego or deep down they feel inadequate. Why do people get mad? I get mad at times and that truly is a character flaw I'm working on. I can look back at moments in time where I was and see it didn't accomplish anything. The heat of the moment is when you must catch yourself and I am getting better at doing so.

How many can be truthful with themselves? I'm sure you can find a button for just about anyone to push them to a point where they get upset. More people are wearing their feeling on their sleeve nowadays. I think maybe there's more adults who haven't grown up yet. It does take some of us longer to grow up than others. I wouldn't worry about the state of humanity much. Nature works out things really nicely. You learn, you live, you become better at dealing with things.

Maybe we think we are better than we are. We're special. Is that hubris? Any Psychologists want to psychoanalyze this further? I love learning about how people think and act. It helps me with my own faults.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

I don't think people are any different these days.

I believe it's the constant media hype telling them that they should be offended as well as many knowing they can get 15 minutes of fame just for saying "I'm offended"

Makes for great MSM ratings as well as the divide and conquer agenda happening in our society iplemented by those that ultimately gain...and it's not us.

Programming.

Peace

edit on 30-12-2014 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   
"I'm Offended" = "My (fallacious) core beliefs have been challenged"

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I think more people are offended these days because there is far more opportunity for extremely stupid people to have a voice via social media, and what we are seeing is a culture shock from people realising just how many idiots there are.

And lets face it, there is an awful lot of stupid out there.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: neformore
I think more people are offended these days because there is far more opportunity for extremely stupid people to have a voice via social media, and what we are seeing is a culture shock from people realising just how many idiots there are.

And lets face it, there is an awful lot of stupid out there.

Ok... now I'm offended.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I believe people are less offended now more than ever. I remember what it was like in the 1960s when all kinds of things that "polite" people kept out of public view were thrust out into the open. There was plenty of offense being taken at that time.

These days, it's not so much that people are more offended, it's just that they all have an international forum to express it that can reach the entire planet. The Internet. Didn't used to even be such a thing. Letters to the Editor didn't make much of an impact.

The thing is, somebody is going to get offended no matter what you do. If you're not offending somebody, you're not living. There are a lot of people who lead insulated lives, and they feel that the must hop on the bandwagon and express their politically correct outrage at something just to feel part of the group. And again, it's easy for them to do it, because with the Internet, you can express your outrage but you don't actually have to DO ANYTHING to solve the problem. It's like the ultimate lip service, and makes people feel good even though they're basically useless.

So I guess the answer to the question is, "People like to be part of the group and think they're right."

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join