It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are people so easily offended?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Why is it that people are so easily offended these days? I'm not saying the line of what constitutes appropriate humour or entertainment is never crossed, but why on Earth are people in general so easily offended? Some might say "because the issue does not affect you directly" but this is simply not true. I have, like everyone else, certain issues close to my heart, but I would never dream of basking in gross levels of victim-hood like some of the people out there.

Have people always been this socially sensitive or is it due to the increase in popularity of social media and blogs? Perhaps the convenience and accessibility of voicing one's disapproval or offence incurred has become too easy and makes it seem more prevalent. Moreover, the satisfaction that some people take from hearing that others agree with their incurred offence is at worrying levels. It reinforces the practice of "group think" and the "angry mob with pitchforks" mentality.

The world is not fair. Society is harsh. Most people are selfish. People will joke about your insecurities. Many will judge you for characteristics and circumstances you cannot change. Stop expending so much energy into finding offence at the drop of a hat and remember you have the right not to be offended.

Whether you tweet on Twitter, share on Facebook, or author a thread on your blog, please stop being so offended and grow a back bone! We are becoming a generation of whiny, overly-sensitive cowards who cannot take a joke nor constructive criticism. It is embarrassing for other cultures to see us behaving this way.

+12 more 
posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 02:45 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

A picture is worth a thousand words....

That's exactly how I feel about it in truth. I don't think we've always been like this. I think it's something that has insidiously slithered it's way into our lives in the last one or two generations. Somewhere along the line parents started teaching their children that that didn't have to listen to anything they didn't agree with, do anything they didn't want to do, etc. a whole bunch of "Golden Children" who can't function normally and it's only going to get worse from here on out.

Being offended is the new trend and I don't see it going out of style any time soon. If we can get folks to understand that the universe does not cater to nor care what their needs/wants are, we might can right this Titanic before it collides with the PC iceberg. As for me... I think we've already collided and we are just sinking very slowly.

Instead of life boats maybe we can invest in some big girl/boy panties instead??? BOGO maybe?

The truth is... Life is sometimes unpleasant and can deliver some cold, hard, hurtful truths. It is what it is and being offended about it is about as meaningful as a velvet painting of Elvis and a dolphin embracing.

I have started considering getting offended by everyone else's offendedness though. Maybe I can get a check every month or something.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 12/30/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 02:48 AM
link   
the female values have become the central values of american society now.
Sensitivity is more important than reason, emotion is more important than critical thinking.
Those things do have a place of course, you need ration and emotion to, i would argue, be a human being.
but letting one overpower the other is never a good thing, and as a society we are not able of reaching an equilibrium:
too much "man thinking" has led us into 2 world wars, leaders that can only lead by the sword and bloodshed, overall the darkest moments in our history.
too much "woman thinking" is now leading us into a period of emotional weakness, of attention seeking, of being offended just for the sake of being offended.
the reason it bothers me the most is because it nullifies the concept of individuality: As individuals, there are inevitably things we all do not like, even if it's unpopular to do so, and expressing those, even in a respectful manner, will have someone being offended and placing you into a "type/group" and you will be forced to apologize, simply for challenging the established notions (even when wrong) or simply because you don't want to be part of a hive mind and want to think for yourself.
it's sad to see how the idea of political correctness ( in and of itself a good thing, derived from a feminine focus on emotion) has driven people to such an extreme where everything is offensive to someone somehow.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Funny, but it sounds like you are offended as well.

Everyone gets upset about something, and they obviously like to talk about it. Your post is just another example. No offense intended.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 03:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

Being somewhat of a cynical nature I would say that taking offence in the UK usually means there might be some form of compensation available that you can tap into, if you can prove you have been 'injured' by something that 'offended' you.

There are some things that do naturally offend me, whitehall paedophiles that are getting away with it as we are near a general election, royalty privilege, the UK legal System's unfairness of only working on the general public - they actually don't only offend me - they make me furious. - different altogether.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 03:59 AM
link   
In all truth Dark Ghost, I think it is the internet age we live in, and dare I hope some evolving on humanity's part. I think that because of the internet, people are more able to see the direct results of the hurt they cause with only their words, and as such are adjusting themselves and those in their circles accordingly.

Now while you may see it as "easily offended", I see it as some choosing to revert back to the days of shunning those in society who have no manners, or simply do not play well with others.

originally posted by: Dark Ghost
Moreover, the satisfaction that some people take from hearing that others agree with their incurred offence is at worrying levels.

Whom on earth would this worry, other than the ones who seek to bring others down?

The world is not fair. Society is harsh. Most people are selfish.

It's generally not the world or society offending people, it's individuals. I see no selfishness around me, quite the opposite in fact.

People will joke about your insecurities. Many will judge you for characteristics and circumstances you cannot change.

Only those that have not developed a sense of compassion and empathy would judge someone over circumstances they cannot change.

It is embarrassing for other cultures to see us behaving this way.

Many other cultures do not behave in so crass a manner to begin with. They treat themselves and others with dignity and respect. It is perhaps we (in the west) whom should be embarrassed IMHO.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 04:07 AM
link   
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

I read your point and didn't quite agree with it until I saw Moon Blossums. I think that the majority of all humans are decend and wish for the best for their neighbours and friends - albeit a little jealousy always exists - but it keeps u-p motivated to do better ourselves.

The internet has given at last the ordinary people a voice and we can express and discuss with people from all over the world particular things we want to talk about. Its also a means or orchestrating public opinion and for the first time for a lot of women, especially older ones a chance to give their opinion and be heard.

I think its more a levelling of the see-saw than a sudden amount of females pulling one end down and the other up in the sky. We have lived in a man's world for hundred's of years and change has come within tens of years - so its a bit of a culture shock, but if we can level the see-saw eventually things should balance out fairly.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 04:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Shiloh7
that's why i said,

as a society we are not able of reaching an equilibrium:

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 04:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
Funny, but it sounds like you are offended as well.

Everyone gets upset about something, and they obviously like to talk about it. Your post is just another example. No offense intended.

How does pointing out that other people are offended easily make me offended?

Perhaps, in your attempt to come across as witty, you have incorrectly interpreted an irony in the opening post?

edit on 30/12/2014 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Whether you tweet on Twitter, share on Facebook, or author a thread on your blog, please stop being so offended and grow a back bone! We are becoming a generation of whiny, overly-sensitive cowards who cannot take a joke nor constructive criticism. It is embarrassing for other cultures to see us behaving this way.

Becoming?!?

Seriously though,

I wonder if it's just a sign of the times, meaning, with our modern world with so many ways to access a wider audience to vent ones opinion. Where as in previous generations they only had their close friends and family to vent to.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 04:39 AM
link   

If the subject is on your mind, I highly recommend this BBC radio episode on 'Moral Disgust' (right click save as).It's part of an informal philosophy show with audience interaction and only 28 mins.

They begin with the scenario of someone having 'relations' (ahem) with a defrosted chicken and ask the audience if it's disgusting? Overwhelmingly they answer yes it is. No brainer, right?

Then they ask if it's wrong? Most of the audience stay silent.

Being offended seems to occupy the small parts of our lives and loses intensity when projected further. So when we skim articles about torture or innocent civilians being burned to death in drone strikes, we might feel less offended than when we see a kid with a cigarette.

It probably has a greater value for social cohesion than it ever does for intellectual merit.

A downside of the noisy minority and their thin-skinned, fake shock is that it's usable for state bureaucracy and childishness. After all, how mature is any politician who signs in legislation to criminalise an asshole on Twitter? I'm offended! wink

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Too much pc bovine fecal matter .. created a generation of whiners with the attitude their entitled to anything they want ..

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 04:46 AM
link   
I think people have always been easily offended. Just think of all those duels with swords and pistols that men carried out. There were thousands of men killed every year because they were offended by some remark or another. "Pistols at dawn then?"
However I see your point. When things are in print or on a screen they can seem more offensive than if they were spoken words. You can't see the other person's face to gauge their intent or their reaction. The written word can seem blunt and arrogant when that was not the impression that the writer really wanted to give (unless they really are blunt and arrogant). But I think there are some really nasty types getting around these days just the same.
There seem to be more narcissistic and mean people around that do not give a stuff about other people and some folks have simply had enough and start seeing insults where there are none. Others may have a personality disorder where they cannot cope with criticism of any kind or have been bullied or picked on before. Just a thought.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 04:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Off Topic:

Your avi....Love it!!
Almost didn't recognize you. LOL

On Topic:

I have started considering getting offended by everyone else's offendedness though. Maybe I can get a check every month or something.

Isn't that the truth
Seems like there is a group for every thing now, getting offended about something
And I'm not talking about race issues, that is a serious matter not to be ignored

But rather trivial BS, to the point of feeling like being in a nanny state, surrounded by a bunch of whiney azz bored housewives
(true, not all whiny butts are women, but most are)

Having to watch what one says, how they say it, careful how one looks at somebody, the clothes one wears, how one does their hairstyle, what kind of vehicle (gas guzzlers get frowned upon even tho energy cars are proving to be worse)
Someone's house/property can be found offensive now a days

Oh heck, the list goes on and on
It's to the point of being ridiculous!!

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 05:46 AM
link   

It seems that society is now narcissistic, so many have a sense of entitlement believing that their feelings and thoughts are more important than anyone elses. People bring their children up in this manner and I am glad I won't be around to see the results in 50 years.

The me me me culture of the 21st c is going to destroy our civilisation

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Everything has been sugar coated so as to not offend, whatever, truth is not packaged that way

edit on 30-12-2014 by TM62 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 05:55 AM
link   
One more!

edit on 30-12-2014 by TM62 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: grumpy64

You might be onto something there. I'm of a generation who grew up without the internet/social media. People could take a joke back then. They could voice their opinion without someone of an opposite opinion getting all butt-hurt about it.

We talked to each other more face to face, not screen to screen and we seemed to understand each other better. People might say that this is just a coincidence, but I'm not so sure.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I think that people are easily offended today because of what they have been doing in schools for quite some time now.
They have an atmosphere where no one can say what they think because someone might be offended.
They have sports programs where you get a trophy for participating... not excelling, just participating.

In the end, no one is allowed to be in a position where their feelings could possibly be hurt.

Then, enter the real world, where there are people that don't give a crap about 'little Johnny's" feelings. Consequently, you have a bunch of little spoiled brats that expect everyone to bend over backwards to make them feel happy about their inadequacies as adults.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   
yea people get offended at anything.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join