It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Pinochet to go on trial

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Juan Guzman announced today that former Chilean dictator, Augusto Pinochet, will be tried for human rights violations from the 1970s. Pinochet is being tried for kidnapping and murder of dissidents. This is the second time he has been indicted for actions from his run as dictator. In 2001, Pinochet was indicted for similar actions, but ultimately he was determined to be unfit for trial due to health concerns.

www.cnn.com
The trial of Pinochet is part of Guzman's investigation of the so-called "Operation Condor," a joint plan by the dictatorships that ruled several South American nations in the 1970s and '80s to suppress dissidence.

"This a historic decision that must be celebrated by all democrats," said Viviana Diaz, member of an organization of dissidents who disappeared under Pinochet. "This is great news for all those Chileans who do not accept impunity in the violations of human rights."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Let's hope that this holds. Pinochet was quite the tyrrant. Hopefully, others can also be brought to justice - goodness knows there's plenty of them out there.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by pandoras_box
Let's hope that this holds. Pinochet was quite the tyrrant. Hopefully, others can also be brought to justice - goodness knows there's plenty of them out there.

I hope he goes to jail and I hope Kissinger goes down with him.
He and Nixon share the blame for Pinochet rising to power and staying in power.

National Security Archive: The Pinochet File
As pressure from human rights advocates mounted for Washington to distance itself from the Pinochet regime, according to the transcripts, Kissinger argued that the Chilean military government was no worse than other Latin American nations and repeatedly voiced concern that the junta would collapse without U.S. support. "I think the consequences could be very serious, if we cut them off from military aid," Kissinger told his staff during a December 3, 1974, meeting.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I don't know how the current administration is going to deal with this. We really seem to be trying to flex our power in international affairs lately (think Ukraine), especially in this hemisphere.

new topics

join