It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alternative media site censorship

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Is it just me or are alternative media sites censoring user generated content more and more nowadays?

It seems as though terms and conditions on these sites (won't mention names, just in case against terms and conditions of ATS) allow for the moderators to remove any and all user generated articles for one reason or another.

I guess the censorship comes in when there are many threads which break the exact same trivial T&C (so trivial its hard to know when you're breaking the T&C) and the mods seem overly picky and choosy in which cases they apply the punishments.

Many sites nowadays are like this. Luckily ATS is an exception

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 11:48 PM
link   
a reply to: TechUnique

There's no rules here that specifically forbid the naming of other sites, or linking to said sites. However, manners would still apply: if someone rags on about ATS, then lists all their favorite sites they think are better than ATS, we might show that thread to the bin.
But in the context of a relevant discussion, no problem.

To the issue…

Based on my experience, it boils down to variations of two things, ego and party-line.

In the case of ego, it's typically a small staff who have become full of themselves and get a kick on being on a power-trip. This is typically younger site owners/moderators.

In the case of party-line, the moderation staff doesn't want contrarian voices mucking up their collective circle-jerk. This is common in 9/11 "Truth" forums were those not posting in lock-step with the conspiracy theme are often shown the door.

edit on 29-12-2014 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Luckily ATS is an exception

Yup, ATS has no doubt driven a lot of hits to your YouTube channel lately!

Hope you got revenue from all the hits!

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 04:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus

Luckily ATS is an exception

Yup, ATS has no doubt driven a lot of hits to your YouTube channel lately!

Hope you got revenue from all the hits!

5% of hits on a few videos is not a lot of hits. That might be worth what, 10 cents on YouTube? Some people on ATS like it when someone makes their own content and share it. I thought that was what this site was about, user generated content.

If you don't like the video topic or subject, you don't have to watch after all. If you think I make any sort of reasonable money through ATS and a few YouTube video hits you are incredibly mislead on how much money people actually make from YouTube lol.

To put it into perspective, in total I have roughly $5.00 in my YouTube account. That is from over 8 thousand video views. From ATS I have probably had about 2-300 video views in total, 500 tops. What do you want me to do, donate those pennies back to ATS?

I make my money in internet Marketing not through ATS. That was worth it just for the laugh lol. Just out of curiosity, If there wasn't adverts to my site on my video, would there have been any problem posting this? Or still a no no, just in case someone decides they might want to visit another site, other than ATS, even if just for a second.

So a thread that received 33 flags in the space of about 2-3 hours gets lost because the site staff don't like people sharing their own content if it promotes their own projects.

That's just spiffing and so much for the platform of free expression.
edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join