It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Considering US Embassy in Iran

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   
President Obama says he's open to re-establishing diplomatic relations with Iran.

Although it seems he admits there are some problems.

Problems like terrorism and nuclear weapons.

Hmmm. Sounds like Obama is acknowledging issues many have been denying?

Confusing but maybe not.

Maybe he has been "mis-quoted".

Obama Considering US Embassy in Iran

WASHINGTON—President Barack Obama isn’t ruling out the possibility the U.S. could one day reopen an embassy in Iran.

Obama was asked in an NPR interview whether he could envision opening an embassy there during his final two years in office. Obama replied, “I never say never,” but said ties must be restored in steps.

Obama says Iran is different from Cuba, where the U.S. plans to open an embassy. He says Cuba is small and poses no major threat to the U.S., while Iran is large, has sponsored terrorism and has sought nuclear capabilities.

2nd source:
Obama: Iran has 'chance to get right with the world' - NPR

Advantages?

Disadvantages?

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Russia has strong political and financial ties to Iran; they sell a lot of arms there. I think strong(er) US ties with Iran could serve as a financial death-blow to Russia.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Awesome.

Iran is a pretty sweet place.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Alleged terrorism sponsoring & hypothetical nuclear weapons...

Let's at least be accurate if we're going to have a debate about this.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 12:16 AM
link   

I wonder what would the Israelis and the Saudis say?
edit on 30-12-2014 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 12:21 AM
link   

I honnestly dont see a problem.

If the USA can be best buddies with house saudi I see no problems with opening BASIC relations with Iran.

Anyway if Iran really wanted nukes they could have had them decades ago.

And the USA is the last country to preach about nukes! You have over 2000 of them!

If you not going to invade Iran you might aswell open basic relations with them?

Its not asif obama is talking a military alliance just basic relations.

Abit more open dialog with Iran is imo whats needed.

Or let me guesd op you want to invade them like McCain does?
edit on 30-12-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-12-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Nuclear weapons and terrorism?
The U.S. has had an embassy in Israel for how long now?

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 12:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear
Nuclear weapons and terrorism?
The U.S. has had an embassy in Israel for how long now?

Because one star is not enough

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Obama has done many things wrong.

But thrawing relations with cuba and hopefully Iran are one of few things his got right.

Why have enemys you dont need?

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 12:32 AM
link   
The US and Iran have had a lot of interests in common as of late. We worked together in the invasion of Afganistan, hunting Taliban and AlQuida and now again in Iraq with ISIS, all off the record of course. The problem would be with the Arab States and Israelis. With Russia's loss of influence in the world it really is only a matter of time before the US and Iran come to an understanding. We have seen in Burma, Vietnam, dozens of African states, and Cuba.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Considering that the current regime in Iran came to power because of Reagan, it's about time we thought about putting an embassy there. Besides embassies are nothing more then CIA nests anyway.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 03:33 AM
link   

I said this a couple months back. Given their regional capability and interest in the issue Iran is one of the best options to take down ISIS. That doesn't come free though. We all know that eventually Iran is going to get nuclear power and that our current methods aren't really working. We delay them 10 years but does that really matter?

Instead we can get an embassy in Iran, get them focused against ISIS, and use our influence to direct their nuclear research programs into energy rather than weapons... thereby calling their cover story.

It's actually a good idea and something we should have done sooner. Note that if our enemy is moving back to Russia, it's good to have Iran siding with us rather than with them.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

Alleged terrorism sponsoring & hypothetical nuclear weapons...

Let's at least be accurate if we're going to have a debate about this.

There is nothing about Iran sponsoring terrorism that is 'alleged'.

Hell the GD White House is sitting on a report DETAILING it.

For over a decade they are arming, and funding the Iraqi 'insurgency' that is until their chickens came home to roost in Iraq, and Syria.

Indeed LET's be accurate instead of making excuses for them.
edit on 30-12-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

For over a decade they are arming, and funding the Iraqi 'insurgency' that is until their chickens came home to roost in Iraq, and Syria.

Like the U.S, Saudi Arabia & Russia?

& it's the U.S. & Saudi Arabia who make these claims?

Pardon me if I find that hilarious.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

You're correct there is no excuse for wilful ignorance...

So maybe you could explain to me, why the U.S was even in Iraq & Afghanistan, & how defensive procedure of those invasions could be considered terrorism?

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Pakistan and Saudi Arabia are much bigger threats to the region and the world than Iran. Even if you think Iran is "evil", having some sort of direct relationship is preferable to having to use covert means and intermediaries to form any sort of policy towards them.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   
There is not a single logical reason to not have an embassy in Iran.

stupid American ego...this is why the world thinks we are all a bunch of jerks. This is why the world hates us.

I hope our children are smarter than we are. Because we, collectively, are a bunch of idiots. As a 42 year old man, I am square in the middle of the generation that is responsible for what is happening in America today. And there is not a word to describe the frustration and....there just isn't a word that I can use to describe it. Shame, frustration, anger....none of them seem to fit.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide

Considering that the current regime in Iran came to power because of Reagan...

Not that I am against diplomatic relations but the Khomeinist regime predated Reagan.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   

I hate to say it but the Shia seem a whole lot more reasonable than the Sunni, other than the entire destroy Israel thing.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join